VOGONS

First post, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sombody knows if is there some command for executing the game with better graphics like the one in nascar 1? (c:\nascar\nascar -h)

If i use ''nascar2 -h'' doesn't work

Reply 1 of 14, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it appears to be in the menus in-game.

Attachments

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 2 of 14, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cobra42898 wrote on 2020-10-28, 21:49:

it appears to be in the menus in-game.

yes, i have the graphic option in 640x480 but the problem is that the game looks worse than nascar 1 using -h command, 🤣

Reply 3 of 14, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game supports 3Dfx Glide. This is your best option for the highest graphics details at 30FPS at any views and any number of opponent cars drawn. Use a glide wrapper and you can upscale from 640x480 at any resolution you wish. I could do the drive practice of the 1st circuit at locked 30FPS at 1280x960.

Reply 4 of 14, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2020-10-28, 23:09:

The game supports 3Dfx Glide. This is your best option for the highest graphics details at 30FPS at any views and any number of opponent cars drawn. Use a glide wrapper and you can upscale from 640x480 at any resolution you wish. I could do the drive practice of the 1st circuit at locked 30FPS at 1280x960.

but how do you set that custom resolutions? i've searched about 3dfx in dosbox but i don't understand

Reply 5 of 14, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

3dfx emulation and glide wrapper/pass-through are not the same thing.

- 3dfx emulation typically refers to low-level emulation of the 3dfx voodoo adapter. A disadvantage of this mode is that it is slow and limited to the original cards limits
- glide wrapper (or pass-through) instead replaces the games glide2x.ovl file with a special patched version that passes through the Glide API calls to the host OS, where you then need to have a Glide wrapper installed to convert those Glide calls to OpenGL/Direct3D/Vulkan. This is much faster and allows extra features not possible otherwise. But it is limited to games using the stand-alone glide2x.ovl file.

Reply 6 of 14, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
_Rob wrote on 2020-10-29, 13:05:

... But it is limited to games using the stand-alone glide2x.ovl file.

That wasn't quite a limit at all. DOS glide games with static linked OVL are minority. Windows Glide games are all dynamic linked DLL.
It should also be noted that Voodoo1 emulation is far from perfect, a fact that most had chosen to ignore and perceived low-level emulation could have been more accurate despite its performance penalty. High-level Glide pass-through supports much more 3Dfx games than voodoo1 emulation when paired with modern Glide wrappers such as dgVoodoo2 or nGlide.

ReignerDeustcher wrote on 2020-10-29, 06:16:

but how do you set that custom resolutions? i've searched about 3dfx in dosbox but i don't understand

Custom resolutions are specific to Glide wrappers. You need to look for the documentation of your chosen Glide wrappers. Google is your friend.

Reply 7 of 14, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2020-10-29, 20:07:
That wasn't quite a limit at all. DOS glide games with static linked OVL are minority. Windows Glide games are all dynamic linke […]
Show full quote
_Rob wrote on 2020-10-29, 13:05:

... But it is limited to games using the stand-alone glide2x.ovl file.

That wasn't quite a limit at all. DOS glide games with static linked OVL are minority. Windows Glide games are all dynamic linked DLL.
It should also be noted that Voodoo1 emulation is far from perfect, a fact that most had chosen to ignore and perceived low-level emulation could have been more accurate despite its performance penalty. High-level Glide pass-through supports much more 3Dfx games than voodoo1 emulation when paired with modern Glide wrappers such as dgVoodoo2 or nGlide.

ReignerDeustcher wrote on 2020-10-29, 06:16:

Custom resolutions are specific to Glide wrappers. You need to look for the documentation of your chosen Glide wrappers. Google is your friend.

tried nglide, did what the website says and the game looks the same, tried dgvodoo also, copied all the dll's to the folder of dosbox and there's some white window that appears when i launch the dosbox and then it crashes

Reply 8 of 14, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You did patch up the game for 3Dfx Glide, didn't you? It should give you NAS3DFX.EXE to run the game in Glide hardware accelerated 3D. You also need to use or compile a version of DOSBox with Glide pass-through patch. It is not available on official build.

Reply 9 of 14, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2020-10-30, 15:08:

You did patch up the game for 3Dfx Glide, didn't you? It should give you NAS3DFX.EXE to run the game in Glide hardware accelerated 3D. You also need to use or compile a version of DOSBox with Glide pass-through patch. It is not available on official build.

and how i patch the game? i downloaded a N2-3DFX.exe patch that doesn't run in dosbox (ask for windows) and not in win 10 either

Reply 10 of 14, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Copy n2-3dfx/*.* and patch/*.* to your game folder.
Run PATCH.EXE to update the game. This is N2PAT0 and will upgrade 1.0o to 1.03.
Run NAS3DFX.BAT to activate Glide renderer.

Attachments

• Filename
    n2patch.zip
    File size
    2 MiB
    Downloads
    86 downloads
    File comment
    n2patch
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 14, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2020-10-31, 06:54:

Copy n2-3dfx/*.* and patch/*.* to your game folder.
Run PATCH.EXE to update the game. This is N2PAT0 and will upgrade 1.0o to 1.03.
Run NAS3DFX.BAT to activate Glide renderer.

thanks! but doesn't work, the .bat shows the 3dfx logo and then crashes

Reply 12 of 14, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It works for me both on DOSBox SVN and QEMU using OpenGlide.

Check DOSBox console output if Glide pass-through or Voodoo1 emulation was in effect. It is mostly due to your DOSBox setup issue. The game plays great on DOSBox and QEMU at high resolution upscaled, up to 1600x1200 on my 2560x1440 panel. Though, I wasn't quite a fan of NASCAR.

Here's an example at 1280x960

nscr2.png
Filename
nscr2.png
File size
574.6 KiB
Views
File comment
NASCAR2 3Dfx
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 14, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2020-10-31, 20:53:
It works for me both on DOSBox SVN and QEMU using OpenGlide. […]
Show full quote

It works for me both on DOSBox SVN and QEMU using OpenGlide.

Check DOSBox console output if Glide pass-through or Voodoo1 emulation was in effect. It is mostly due to your DOSBox setup issue. The game plays great on DOSBox and QEMU at high resolution upscaled, up to 1600x1200 on my 2560x1440 panel. Though, I wasn't quite a fan of NASCAR.

Here's an example at 1280x960
nscr2.png

now tried the dosbox svn and openglide and says unable to load dll 🤣, what an annoying thing

Reply 14 of 14, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ReignerDeustcher wrote on 2020-10-31, 23:12:

now tried the dosbox svn and openglide and says unable to load dll 🤣, what an annoying thing

Increase DOSBox's memory to 63 Mb, that solves many 3Dfx games that show that error.