VOGONS

First post, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, looking for yet another fix 🙁 Still waiting to find the install fix, so I don't have work so hard, but for now, I just fully installed the game in another emulator, then moved the directory over for mounting in DOSBox. Only now it says "Cannot execute COMMAND.COM" when I try to run it.

Gotta love multi-tasking 😀 Found the fix, and used it to correctly install through DOSBox. All the files unpacked correctly this time (I'll try to attach the fix file with brief instructions below.) Again, installed & patched. But the issue remained.

Attachments

• Filename
    DOSBox Install Fix.rar
    File size
    2.34 KiB
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File comment
    Allows M&L Install to correctly unpack files.
    File license
    Public domain

Feeding Dragon

Reply 1 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You can boot real DOS in DOSBox, just as you are doing for other emulators, and then the installer will work. The problem is that the installer is trying to rename an open file -- DOS allows it, but the host operating system does not, and thus a local drive mount does not.

The version of the game I have here for testing runs without complaint, and I don't see the error message you refer to in the executable files, so perhaps you have a different version. I'd try copying COMMAND.COM from the Z: drive to the root of the emulated C: drive, if you haven't already, in case the game is not using the COMSPEC environment variable as it should.

Reply 2 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2021-02-09, 16:21:

You can boot real DOS in DOSBox, just as you are doing for other emulators, and then the installer will work. The problem is that the installer is trying to rename an open file -- DOS allows it, but the host operating system does not, and thus a local drive mount does not.

The version of the game I have here for testing runs without complaint, and I don't see the error message you refer to in the executable files, so perhaps you have a different version. I'd try copying COMMAND.COM from the Z: drive to the root of the emulated C: drive, if you haven't already, in case the game is not using the COMSPEC environment variable as it should.

Thank you for that information. I had never encountered or even considered that scenario .

Sorry if I have nothing useful to directly contribute, but I do have some questions that would improve my understanding and might possibly be helpful to others .
a) Why does running real DOS in DOSBox allow the installer to work ?
b) Is it because it implies the necessity of using a disk image instead of a local drive mount which bypasses the host OS file locking issue completely ?
c) If the answer to b is yes, and since using the IMGMOUNT is possible, AFAIK, with DOSBox's internal DOS, wouldn't using a mounted disk image rather than a mounted local drive be just effective a workaround for the installer ?

Again, sorry if the answers to these are blatantly obvious or based on ay erroneous suumptions, I am not the most proficient DOSBos user by any stretch of the imagination .

Reply 3 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

a) because DOS allows renaming open files, as I already mentioned.
b) yes.
c) quite possibly, but I'd have to test it to be sure, whereas I'm sure it will work when booting DOS, and since the OP doesn't seem to mind booting DOS in other emulators, well, there you go. 😉

Reply 4 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2021-02-09, 16:45:

a) because DOS allows renaming open files, as I already mentioned.
b) yes.
c) quite possibly, but I'd have to test it to be sure, whereas I'm sure it will work when booting DOS, and since the OP doesn't seem to mind booting DOS in other emulators, well, there you go. 😉

Thank you very much ! I will try to keep all this in mind if ever I encounter similar issues .

Reply 5 of 5, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I already have it installing in DOSBox. Put the fix in my first post. The small COM file probably does something that allows the installer to change the file names.

My only issue now, is it won't play (regardless of how I install it.) I tried copying COMMAND.COM from Z:\ to C:\, To the Game Directory, and to every directory in the path. Still says it cannot load it. Probably because it's looking for a specific size, date, or some such 🙁

Feeding Dragon