VOGONS

Is it possible to install Windows NT 4.0 on DosBox?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by ManiaSonic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible to install Windows NT 4.0 on DosBox? DosBox only plz, not QEMU/VBox

Reply 3 of 8, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Of the different DOSBox forks, DOSBox-X gets you closest, but I still don't think you will get a fully working WinNT environment.
https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/tree/master/NOTES

Those notes are rather dated, and you may get further with the latest build.
But since there is no Android port, this is irrelevant anyway.

Reply 4 of 8, by ManiaSonic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2021-04-04, 13:39:
Of the different DOSBox forks, DOSBox-X gets you closest, but I still don't think you will get a fully working WinNT environment […]
Show full quote

Of the different DOSBox forks, DOSBox-X gets you closest, but I still don't think you will get a fully working WinNT environment.
https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/tree/master/NOTES

Those notes are rather dated, and you may get further with the latest build.
But since there is no Android port, this is irrelevant anyway.

It's such a shame, oh. Thank you for this understandable answer.
For PC I have NT 4.0 as one of my multi-boot OSes so I don't need emulators.

Reply 5 of 8, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As far as I know, DOSBox (and its variants) don't support Windows NT 4.0, because it requires bootable CD-ROM support and I don't think that DOSBox has the capability for it. Plus, DOSBox lacks functions that require a fully working Windows NT environment.

So, if you want to install and run Windows NT 4.0, your best choices are Microsoft Virtual PC, VMware Workstation Player, VritualBox or QEMU. 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ppgrainbow wrote on 2021-04-05, 18:26:

As far as I know, DOSBox (and its variants) don't support Windows NT 4.0, because it requires bootable CD-ROM support and I don't think that DOSBox has the capability for it. Plus, DOSBox lacks functions that require a fully working Windows NT environment.

So, if you want to install and run Windows NT 4.0, your best choices are Microsoft Virtual PC, VMware Workstation Player, VritualBox or QEMU. 😀

There are ways around that. But DOSBox-X does support bootable CD-ROMs. At least bootable Win9x/ME CD-ROMs using the El-Torito emulated floppy disk boot image method.

Reply 8 of 8, by GemCookie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-04-05, 23:16:

Why!? I have difficulty imaging any practical purpose for NT 4.0 even on a desktop PC today.

Think of it as a more stable version of Windows 95 with support for more applications (e.g. the QtWeb 3.8.4 backport).

Asus Maximus Extreme (X38) | Core 2 Quad Q9550 | GTX 750 Ti | 8 GiB DDR3 | 120 GB SSD + 640 GB HDD | Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium | WinXP64, 7, 11
Fujitsu D1215 board | P3 866 | Riva TNT2 M64 | 256 MiB PC133 CL2 | 120 GB HDD | WfW 3.11, Win95, NT, 2k, XP