VOGONS

First post, by chad5871

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I'm trying to install a 1995 DOS game called "Emergency Room" using DOSBox on Mac OSX. There is an issue with the installation where the installation program attempts to verify the disc speed and gets hung up. This issue was addressed in a previous post (Re: Emergency Room), however I am not able to use the workaround since I'm on Mac OSX. Anyone have any idea how to get past this so I can get this game working with DOSBox?

Reply 2 of 7, by chad5871

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2021-05-18, 03:09:

In the thread you linked there is a workaround program. Your host OS doesn't matter because you run the program in DOSBox, not in your host OS.

Thank you! How do I run it in DOSBox, though? I'm a total newbie to DOSBox. Is there a specific command I need to input?

Reply 3 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Please list all of the commands, including MOUNT and IMGMOUNT commands, you are using in DOSBox to install the game. It's to make sure you're doing things correctly, and also to be able to give more detailed instructions for using the workaround program.

Reply 5 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Extract the contents of the ERIFIX.ZIP archive file into the folder your are mounting as the C drive, then run the workaround program before the installer like this:

MOUNT C /Users/user/Desktop/EmergencyRoom
IMGMOUNT D /Users/user/Desktop/EmergencyRoom/Emergenc/cd/er.cue -t cdrom
D:
C:\ERIFIX
Install

Remember that you only need the workaround program for installation, not when playing the game.

Reply 6 of 7, by chad5871

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much for all of your help! I forgot the simplest thing before... changing the directory to C: to install the ERIFIX, and then changing back to install the game.

I was able to install the game, but the video and audio is really choppy and slow. I tried installing with both Standard and VESA video settings. I tried with Sound Blaster Pro but the game wouldn't run, so I had to use Sound Blaster AWE32. Any ideas on how to improve this? Not sure if I need to change any settings in DOSBox itself. Unfortunately the game is essentially unplayable as is.

Reply 7 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm guessing that you have misconfigured the sound.

Assuming default settings in DOSBox, select VESA (recommended, but standard works) for the installer's video option, and for sound choose:
Sound Blaster 16, port 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1

The HMISET.CFG file in the installation directory should contain:

[DIGITAL]
DeviceName = Sound Blaster 16
DeviceIRQ = 7
DeviceDMA = 1
DevicePort = 0x220
DeviceID = 0xe015