VOGONS

First post, by Loneheart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey!

I wanted to play some of these old Fashion LucasArts games lately, stuff like ZakMackracken and the original Maniac Manison.
And the games do run thanks to DosBox staging, the best DosBox version when it comes to just wanting to play games (like i do).
But there is a snag, wich is that becouse DosBox staging, at least to my knowlege, doesnt emulate tandy and as a resoult on pretty much any of those games i just get pc-speaker, wich sucks.
But i even played the old zak on c64 with its crunchy sound so i would be ok with the pc-speaker part but well, i dont know it just doesnt sound correct, doesnt sound like a pc-speaker would.
Maybe its just me mis-remembering the pc speaker but if is a commond symphtom on DosBox stagging, please let me know.
So the question in the room is, can i somehow FORCE these games to tandy sound or is there any way of getting the speaker to sound correctly if it turns out to be incorrect?

And while i am on the subject of Zak and Maniac1, is there any hack-like-thing to somehiow make the mouse smooth😅
I know that the mouse is unsmooth on purpose, but is there any way to make it less 2-fps-like ?
Just interrested here

Thats all i've got to say for the moment,
Thank already for all help!

Bye!

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox Staging isn't supported here. You'll need to go to the DOSBox Staging github for support.
For these games you are usually better off running them with ScummVM

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But... DOSBox Staging is really close to regular DOSBox.

If ScummVM is out of the question, look at the DOSBox config file, you should certainly enable Tandy mode.

For the slow mouse, maybe adjust mouse sensitivity and/or cycles ?
Again, ScummVM would be preferable.

Reply 3 of 4, by Loneheart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOSBox Staging isn't supported here. You'll need to go to the DOSBox Staging github for support.
For these games you are usually better off running them with ScummVM

Sorry, didnt know that it wasn't 'supported' here, my brain just connected DosBox staging = DosBox = right catigory
And yea i am aware of scummVM, but i still wanted to test the original couse i can😁.
plus ScummVM doesnt like maniac1 for some reason, so i figured i may aswell try good old dosbox.

But... DOSBox Staging is really close to regular DOSBox.

If ScummVM is out of the question, look at the DOSBox config file, you should certainly enable Tandy mode.

Yea i think that would work
Tiny problem is that this would need its own cfg file couse, well not all games work with tandy.
And i dont really know how to make this without beeing anoying.

For the slow mouse, maybe adjust mouse sensitivity and/or cycles ?
Again, ScummVM would be preferable.

Not slow exactly, just stuttery.
But i guess if i really want to play the original i have to deal with this.
And actually i already tried increasing the cycles but seeing as maniac1 and zak both seem to be frame capped, i didnt really thought i would make a difference, and it didnt.
But still thanks for the tip 👍

Reply 4 of 4, by Loneheart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright problem solved, and i feel a bit dumb about it now.
Thanks xcomcmdr to un-stupdidise me.
I was always using my own config since, dosbox staging doesnt have one and i need some autoexec bullshit to make everything more easy you know?
The way i did this was by creaating a shortcut on the desktop and manuall editng it with the -conf command.
so all i had to do, was copy my config, rename my config, edit the lines
[dosbox]
machine=tandy
make a new shortcut, and using the -conf command again.
So fucking simple i am seriously mad at myself for not thinking about just makng another shortcut with another conf.
Seeing as i have to completly close DosBox the play any other games couse oyu cant leave those early games (weird), it also isnt a pain to use.
So yea...

Sorry for wasting your time i guess,
And thanks to xcomcmdr again for waking me up😅