VOGONS

Error = CD must be in drive [Constructor]

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 29, by ross

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I play constructor under DosBox fine. I'm using the latest CVS build. You need to use the right settings to achieve a perfect balance. I've got a 1.53ghz Athlon 1800 CPU, so if mine can handle it- your should be able to 😀

The settings are-

- Dynamic Core @ 15,000 Cycles
- 32M Memory
- Sound configured as Sound Blaster AWE32 (Digital Device) & MPU 401 (MIDI Device). These appear to be the fastest under DosBox at the moment.
- Movies disabled ingame

I'd suggest you grab a copy from Home of the Underdogs (Do NOT POST TO ABANDONWARE SITES). It's ripped, so it doesnt have any movies, but it's also cracked so there isnt any CD check (Yes, I own the original too!). Also, grab the latest CVS compiled build from the site in the sticky thread of the development section. It works without skipping at all, and is perfectly smooth.

If you wish, you can grab the cracked files (but not the full game) from my webpage. This is handy if you dont want to download everything, but want to be able to play without the CD.

{POSTING SITES ADDRESSES FOR GETTING CRACKS IT'S DISALLOWED HERE}

(it's a forum that you'll need to register to, to prevent abuse).

Good luck.

- Ross (a.k.a nugget on the games page).

Reply 21 of 29, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@step2ice - How does your autoexec.cfg look now, after the -freesize 900 command? Like this:

mount C "F:\games\_DOS_GAM\Constructor" -ioctl -freesize 900
C:
GAME.EXE

Because I tried this, and it still asks me for the CD. 😠

DELL Dimension XPS M200s
:Intel P1 MMX 200MHz
:64MB EDO
:DOS 6.22/Win95b
:Matrox Millenium II + m3D (PowerVR PCX2)
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee
:AMD AthlonXP 2700+
:512MB DDR
:Win98SE/2000 SP4
:3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Reply 22 of 29, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@nugget - I cannot find the cracked files on your site.

Could you be a little more specific as to where the files are located?

I have the original DOS version of Constructor, but wish to try the same route as you, since I am having no luck with any other.

Reply 23 of 29, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorted! 🤣

Used the GAME.exe file from home of the underdogs, managed to use -freesize command correctly, and run the game!

I even got sound! 😁

No sign of any lag or delay yet. The game runs a bit faster than it used to on my Win95 rig.

Reply 26 of 29, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems to me that freesize was working fine and he wasn't mounting the CD drive. That command is totally malformed -- -ioctl should not (cannot) be used for anything other than CD drives. The HotU version is patched to not require a CD, so you can figure out why it would work -- not because he solved his incorrect commands 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 27 of 29, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I can give more helpful steps than anyone else currently has, who claim to have it working.

I did nothing wrong, using 'freesize'. 😜. In fact, this command helped in the process (the only good source of information to help make Constructor work came from step2ice). The 'freesize' command enables me to install the game via DOSBox without recieving any errors such as 'Not enough disk space' during the DOS based Constructor installation.

Because DOSBox is not fully competent enough to fully support a working version of Constructor, and almost impossible to get round the CD error, the best option is to download the game's executable from Home of the Underdogs.

This also means that no mounting or reading from a CD/DVD drive is required. This saves a great considerable amount of time, wasted trying different settings and configurations that others falsely claim to work ( for those who could even be bothered to try and help those in need).

Oh, and with or without the '-ioctl' command, it works regardless. 😜

Reply 29 of 29, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These commands have already been posted by other users who have already tried to get the game working. 😁

DELL Dimension XPS M200s
:Intel P1 MMX 200MHz
:64MB EDO
:DOS 6.22/Win95b
:Matrox Millenium II + m3D (PowerVR PCX2)
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee
:AMD AthlonXP 2700+
:512MB DDR
:Win98SE/2000 SP4
:3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP