VOGONS

First post, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello and thank you for this great emulator!

I installed the GUS drivers according to the 'GUSPatches' page on DOSBoxWiki. I get to the point where the installer starts "Configuring MIDI Directory". It seems to scan my directories in the C root (I installed the GUS drivers to the default c:\ultrasnd directory) and it lists them at the bottom. Before finishing, the whole thing crashes: the application window disappears and I get the following text in the other window (status window or something?):

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

By that time the installer has already put a lot of stuff in c:\ultrasnd (size: 9 747 695 bytes) but I never get to the point where the installer prompts me about the IRQ and DMA settings. The midi demos work, but there is a lot of 'crackling' noise in the music, which, I assume, is the result of not having finished the install. Where does the installer write the settings (file or environment variable) so that I could finish the install manually? Or does anyone know of a solution to the segmentation fault problem?

DosBox 0.63 is configured as follows:
32 MB memory
XMS enabled
10 000 cycles
Normal CPU Core
Only a hard drive partition mounted to C with I/O control
GUS A240 I7 D3

The OS is Windows XP SP1, the processor is an Athlon XP, mobo is Abit with a VIA chipset, the sound comes from an SB Live!, and DirectX is 9.0c.

I already tried a lower amount of cycles, enabling Sound Blaster alongside GUS, disabling XMS, and probably something else. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 1, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the midi demos work, your install should be ok. Crackling noise can have many causes: too many cycles is one (10.000 with normal core is probably too much for your CPU, try 5000 or dynamic CPU), and another possible problem is your mixer sampling rate (rate=22050 or rate=32000 is usually sufficient, depending on your expectations about sound quality. It's almost pointless to go to 44100 with most games.) Finally, if you insist on high mixer rates, increase the sound buffer - some sound cards need as much as 4096.