VOGONS

Civilization 2 issues.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So ive decided id poke around in DOS Box for a bit, since I dont yet own a pc old enough to run DOS. Ive installed Windows 3.1, and now trying to install some games, such as the aforementioned Civilization 2. i downloaded this game from the site LINK REMOVED, an archive site for games of all kinds of various retro platforms. When I attempt to launch the game after having installed it, it tells me "cannot find MSVIDEO.dll" and "cannot find AVIFILE.dll" and a 3rd "cannot find file c:\mps\civ2\civ2.exe (or one of its components)" Same errors for the map editor that installs with it.

I should also mention the installation method I used was dragging the game files to it own folder within the DOS Box Hard Disk folder, then ran the installation program thru Windows 3.1 in DOS Box itself.

Hope i gave yall enough info to help me with, and i greatly appreciate your help in advance!

Last edited by DosFreak on 2022-05-17, 21:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 8, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I mean first, is CIV2 actually installed to "c:\mps\civ2\"? Second, check the shortcut and make sure under it's properties, the working directory is "c:\mps\civ2\", assuming that is the correct directory.

I actually have CIV2 installed in Win3.1 under DOSBOX in a similar manner, although I'm pretty sure I did it off my CD copy, not abandonware. It all works fine for me, so it's definitely possible.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3 of 8, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dormcat wrote on 2022-05-16, 17:55:

May I ask why you have to install it under Win31? Released in 1996, Civ2 could run under Win9x without problems.

I cant seem to get windows 9x working in DOS Box. I tried Windows 95, and it told me it doesnt run on DOS 7.0 or older. That was OSR 2.5 tho, i do have OSR 1 that might work. And looking in the file directory itself, Civ2 is in fact installed in c:\mps\civ2. The .exe file is there, but not the other two .dll files.

Reply 4 of 8, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Namrok wrote on 2022-05-16, 18:04:

I mean first, is CIV2 actually installed to "c:\mps\civ2\"? Second, check the shortcut and make sure under it's properties, the working directory is "c:\mps\civ2\", assuming that is the correct directory.

I actually have CIV2 installed in Win3.1 under DOSBOX in a similar manner, although I'm pretty sure I did it off my CD copy, not abandonware. It all works fine for me, so it's definitely possible.

Checked the properties, it does say that the working directory is C:\mps\civ2\, and thats where everything is installed to. I dont have any 5.25" or 3.5" drive bays in my system, being a very modern system (Ryzen 7 5800X) so I cant run anything thru a cd-rom or floppy.

Reply 5 of 8, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Civ 2 required WinG to be installed, a redistributable installer was included on the CD.
It sounds like the pirated version you got just included the game files and nothing else.

Try to track down an ISO of the game CD or a legit copy and the installer should take care of this for you.

Alternatively have a read of this, maybe it will help https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/how-to … problems.24057/

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 6 of 8, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote on 2022-05-17, 09:18:
Civ 2 required WinG to be installed, a redistributable installer was included on the CD. It sounds like the pirated version you […]
Show full quote

Civ 2 required WinG to be installed, a redistributable installer was included on the CD.
It sounds like the pirated version you got just included the game files and nothing else.

Try to track down an ISO of the game CD or a legit copy and the installer should take care of this for you.

Alternatively have a read of this, maybe it will help https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/how-to … problems.24057/

Well, i took a look at the link, i did find a WinG.exe download, but it wouldnt run in Win3.1 in DOSBox. Presumably because its a 32 bit application for windows 9x instead of 3.1. I suppose i could burn the actual iso file to a CD, then extract the files from there, then send them to my main pc where i have DOSBox. that might work.

Reply 7 of 8, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

7zip can usually extract files from ISOs, just to save you a step or two.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS