VOGONS

First post, by Steve Adler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope I'm posting in the correct topic, and realize I’m an old guy who loves some old DOS programs. I recently started using Linux and installed DOSBox to use these programs. I have two notebook computers running two different distributions of Linux Mint Cinnamon, 17.3 on a 32-bit system running DOXBox v0.74 and 20.2 on a 64-bit system running DOSBox v0.74-3. My experiences are the same on both notebooks.

Several programs from WordPerfect work well under DOSBox (WP 5.0, Shell 3.01, and DataPerfect 2.2), but I’ve had problems with one WordPerfect program (Calendar 2.0) and Lotus 123 version 3.1+. (I know there are more recent programs, and I do use them, but for various reasons I want to continue to use Calendar and Lotus 123. (You folks who love vintage games should appreciate this.)

Anyway, when I open Calendar, there’s a notice “Non-calendar file or Calendar file is corrupted.” The program then opens and appears to work properly.

Lotus 123 is totally different: it won’t run. When I load the program, the logo appears very briefly and then the screen returns to a command prompt with the following message: DOS/16M: Unexpected Interrupt=0001 at 0070:31CB code=0000 ss=0020 ds=0020 es=0038 ax=0004 bx=0040 cx=0010 dx=5000 sp=18B6 bp=18CZ si=146A di=0404

Years ago (in 2006) I was trying to get Lotus 123 3.1+ to run under DOSBox on a Windows XP Home Premium system, and somebody posted a solution on this site (change xms and ems from = true to = false in the configuration file) that I didn’t try then because I didn’t know how to change my configuration file. I ended up running the DOS programs under a virtual machine. Unfortunately, now that I know how to change the configuration file, the old solution from 2006 didn’t work under DOSBox in Linux.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions on how to run Calendar without the corruption message and/or how can I run Lotus 123 V3.1+ in DOSBox under Linux?

Thank you,

Steve Adler