VOGONS

First post, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First things first. The Intersound MDO is a French clone of the Covox Speech Thing sold and supported by Coktel Vision during the late 1980s and early 1990s. You can learn a bit more about it here.

vzFUoFp.jpg

In the same way, the Covox Speech Thing is a sound device sold by Covox from 1987. Consisting only of an 8-bit DAC and a few electronic components, it was simpler and cheaper than most sound cards of the time. It was also easier to install, because it fitted on the LPT1 port of any PC or compatible machine. According to MobyGames, only 58 games support the Covox Speech Thing. However, 146 games support the Disney Sound Source, an upgraded version of the Covox Speech Thing sold and supported by Disney from 1990 onwards.

As for the Intersound MDO, only 11 games support it. They are Frech games from 1989 to 1992 released by either Coktel Vision, Tomahawk or Nathan Logiciels.

IIRC, of this bunch of devices only the Disney Sound Source is emulated by DOSBox. You can try to emulate the other devices but your results may vary.

This a full list of the games that according to MobyGames support the Intersound MDO: A.G.E., Asterix: Operation Getafix, Bargon Attack, Cougar Force, E.S.S Mega, Galactic Empire, Geisha, No Exit, Oliver & Compagnie, Paris Dakar 90 and Skidoo.

Xh1ux4l.png ZedsNHU.png

Of these, a few have AdLib or Sound Blaster support, which makes emulating the Intersound MDO less of a priority. But there are still a bunch of games where said device is THE BEST OPTION FOR SOUND. They are the following: Asterix: Operation Getafix, Cougar Force, E.S.S Mega, No Exit, Oliver & Compagnie, Paris Dakar 90 and Skidoo.

Now, I've tried to run these with DOSBox v0.74.3 and surprisingly they all seem to work with sound. All they need is the option disney=true. I haven't played them thoroughly at all, so problems may arise during gameplay. But they all seem to work, which is fantastic.

So... the object of this thread? Let me explain.

1) Learn if the Intersound MDO (and, to less extent, the Covox Speech Thing) is actually supported under current versions of DOSBox.
2) To gather experiences from other phorum members about these devices.
3) To give and obtain feedback from other phorum members trying to run games using these sound devices.
4) Find out if there are more games supporting the Intersound MDO.

Reply 1 of 2, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=The_Sound_Source

The Disney Sound Source is backward-compatible with the Covox Speech Thing, and DOSBox emulates it that way. So, to answer your question about DOSBox, both devices are supported. The SS is actually based on the ST, but also has an added FIFO buffer and logic to reduce CPU overhead. The Intersound MDO, as you can read in the article you linked, is an OEM clone of the ST from France, and I think you can consider the two devices to be basically the same thing.

FTL Games, developers of Dungeon Master, made a sound device like the ST called the FTL Sound Adapter which is supported by their games. However, the FTL device uses detection logic that makes it not directly compatible with the ST, although the method of operation as a DAC is the same.

If you're interested in the technical side of these sound devices, they are different takes on simple resistor ladder DACs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor_ladder

Reply 2 of 2, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the answer. That FTL Sound Adapter sounds intriguing, I'll see whay I can find out about it.

The technical side of things is not my cup of tea -can't differentiate a resistor from any other electronic piece- but I'm sure some other board members will find it interesting.