VOGONS

First post, by Happy Prince

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! 😀

There seems to be a problem in Star Trail with dosbox. When entering a dialog screen, colors become messed - they seem inverted. 😦 The same happens with pop-up windows. The problem is present when I use the 15/06/2005 CVS binary from AEP Emulation and any other binary which have come later, with or without patches (latest from gulikoza and ykhwong). Gulicoza's builds from 29/04/2005 and earlier don't have this problem, as well as original dosbox-0.63. I have tried different dosbox configurations and different SDL's, but that didn't help, so the problem seems to be in CVS.

Also, there is a trouble with saving games. The game saved under a new name becomes "invisible", i.e. it doesn't appear in the saves list and thus can't be chosen to be loaded or overwritten (but the save file appears in the game directory). After closing dosbox and launching it again the save becomes visible. The very same problem also happens to be in Privateer. This does not happen in original dosbox-0.63 and in gulikoza's build from 21/02/2005 and earlier.

P.S. Here are the screenshots:

Attachments

• star_001.png
    Filename
    star_001.png
    File size
    7.65 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    pop-up window
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • star_000.png
    Filename
    star_000.png
    File size
    22.28 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    dialog screen
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

About the color bug:
Have you specifically tried taking an SDL.DLL bundled with a build that you know works properly and using it with a build that you know doesn't?

About the save bug:
Qbix/Harekiet: it sounds like this is a serious bug. It's popping up in multiple games, and as I've reported with Buck Rogers, it's quite replicatable. It seems that DOSBox isn't refreshing it's drive cache sometimes when new files are created...

Reply 2 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the color problem is known and seem to have gotten worse in the cvs.
we don't know why at the moment the colors get mixed up.
@hunterZ
I can't confirm your bug to be honest. Buck rogers runs fine at my place.
Maybe I should make some big debug version for you someday.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 9, by Happy Prince

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if it will help in any way, but I have figured that the color problem has appeared in CVS between 03/05/2005 and 21/05/2005; the save problem - between 21/02/2005 and 09/04/2005 (03/05 and 21/02 are the last working builds respectively).

Reply 6 of 9, by Happy Prince

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've figured that the save bug doesn't happen for me if I mount my game directory as drive. Previously I mounted my entire 30 gb logical disk. So, I guess, it was too much for poor dosbox to digest. 😵 But the 21/02/2005 and earlier builds still don't have this bug at all.

P.S. As it turned out, the save bug occures only if I use D-Fend and mount entire disk in it. When launching dosbox through a batch file there is no problem regardless what is mounted.

Reply 7 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That could be it. I install all my DOS games to d:\oldgames\game-dir, and mount c d:\oldgames in my dosbox.conf.

I'll try to confirm it when I'm at home.

Reply 8 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

could you give the directory names ?
dosbox and d-fend struggle sometimes over long filenames

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 9, by Happy Prince

User metadata
Rank Newbie