VOGONS

Castles 2 Problems

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 39, by stevo1977

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I edited the path in the .cue file as suggested, but I still get the "MSCDEX: path not valid" error when I try to imgmount the .cue file in Dosbox. Imgmounting the .bin file still works, though.

Out of curiosity, how would mounting the .cue file prevent Dosbox from freezing? Thanks again.

Reply 22 of 39, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
stevo1977 wrote:

I edited the path in the .cue file as suggested,

So you say. I don't trust you.
Post the CUE-file and the EXACT command you use for mounting.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 23 of 39, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The datafile line should read:
DATAFILE "c2cd.bin" 69:22:34 // length in bytes: 734256768

Also, I don't see how a CUE file will matter here since there are no audio tracks listed. It also means the ISO image should have been sufficient.

You should try using some native Linux tools to verify that the BIN image is valid.

Reply 24 of 39, by stevo1977

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've attached a screenshot of the mounting procedure I used in DOSbox, and below is the text exactly from the .cue file. Oh, and in case you're wondering, the .cue/.bin files have the same name and are sitting right next to each other.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
CD_ROM_XA

// Track 1
TRACK MODE2_RAW
NO COPY
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yeah, I'm thinking that either the creation of the .cue/.bin file was flawed, or the burning of the cd (I had the original back in the day, but God knows where it is now) didn't go so well, because it should have audio tracks and things on it. Maybe that's the problem. Thanks again for all your help.

Attachments

• DOSBox-imgmount.jpg
    Filename
    DOSBox-imgmount.jpg
    File size
    72.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 26 of 39, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

-t cdrom ??

Try

-t iso

Reply 28 of 39, by stevo1977

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The '~' is interpreted as pointing to the home folder (I tried it both ways). Also, I successfully installed TIE-Fighter into Dosbox from an old cd (not a copy), without all of this rigamarole.

I tried using '-t iso' instead of '-t cdrom' with no change. It mounted the .bin file fine, but gives me an 'invalid path' when I try to imgmount the .cue file.

Reply 29 of 39, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Try this:

mount C ~/Games
C:
dir c2cd.*
imgmount D c2cd.cue -t iso

Reply 30 of 39, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stevo1977 wrote:

The '~' is interpreted as pointing to the home folder (I tried it both ways). Also, I successfully installed TIE-Fighter into Dosbox from an old cd (not a copy), without all of this rigamarole.

I tried using '-t iso' instead of '-t cdrom' with no change. It mounted the .bin file fine, but gives me an 'invalid path' when I try to imgmount the .cue file.

Indulge me and try it with the full path instead of the ~ anyways. You never know, DOSBox could be choking on it due to the 2-step process of having to find the CUE, then extrapolating the path to the BIN from the CUE file.

Edit: I guess you say you did try it. Oh well 🙁

Reply 33 of 39, by stevo1977

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It would be a definite possibility, but I checked for that. The files are in all lowercase, and so are the commands I've been running. If I change to uppercase, it does not recognize the file name at all. Very weird, all in all.

Reply 34 of 39, by arablizzard2413

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stevo1977 wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CD_ROM_XA […]
Show full quote

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
CD_ROM_XA

// Track 1
TRACK MODE2_RAW
NO COPY
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Erm, aren't .cue files usually something like this?

FILE "image-name.BIN" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00

Try dumping your cd in a different program.

Reply 38 of 39, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe try finding some other ripping programs? ImgBurn is nice if you have access to a Windows machine (it may also work in WINE?), but I don't run Linux at the moment so I can't make any recommendations for native apps.

Reply 39 of 39, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can always buy it for six bucks from gog.com . I doubt they would sell something that couldn't be made to work.

Failing that, if you insist on doing everything the legal way, the demo version (if you can find it) is remarkably functional. I had so many hours of fun with it back in the day! Without a manual it could be quite inscrutable sometimes (who knew that Police Realm could kill your Happiness, and that killing your Happiness would prevent you from Attacking!?), but that was part of the fun.