VOGONS

Common searches

Guide - Windows 95 on DOSBox 0.74

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 80 of 123, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

there is a trick to it that I once knew... Something to do with i/o address of joystick and so on... search for it here, maybe it was mentioned already. I'm sure I mentioned it,but probably in a removed thread. Also Win98 adds a nother layer of problems, it is even more unsupported as Windows 95.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 82 of 123, by besweeet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

Simple question: Is there any way of getting separate mounted drives to show up in Windows 95 after booting up a W95 image? My current guess is "no", but its worth a shot.

I'm asking this because I'm trying to access some files and folders on my iPad, but Windows 3.1 doesn't support long filenames, so it's impossible to really figure out what's going on (if someone knows a way of copying files with long filename support, then please tell!).

I was able to install Windows 95 just fine without making images, but I would get an error (SU992010) shortly after it finished copying the files (which took over 2 hours to complete). Trying to start it up with "win" results in a freeze.

I find it weird how you're able to boot up W95 that's in an image file, but not if all of the files are extracted. I extracted everything from my working W95 image, but it wouldn't boot up.

Hopefully someone could shed some light if there's any way of having mounted drives show up in W95, or if there's a way of accessing long filenames files and folders from within DOS and getting them copied and whatnot.

Reply 83 of 123, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's not weird. Win95 requires an image because of the master boot record.

Also, learn the philosophy of 'virtual machines' - getting pure mounted drives to show up for a whole nother operating system to control is dangerous. The least you could do is use Hal's megabuild and get native IPX support going so you can network your way to your folder, at least

Reply 84 of 123, by besweeet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

That's not weird. Win95 requires an image because of the master boot record.

Also, learn the philosophy of 'virtual machines' - getting pure mounted drives to show up for a whole nother operating system to control is dangerous. The least you could do is use Hal's megabuild and get native IPX support going so you can network your way to your folder, at least

I don't think that iDOS for the iPad supports any sort of networking. So there's no way to get long filenames from DOS or 3.1?

Reply 85 of 123, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOS is limited to 8.3 filenames. Win3.x runs on top of DOS and inherits the limitation. I think some later versions of DOS, like the one you could boot with Win9X, had LFN support; but DOSBox does not emulate that DOS.

There is a utility program called "Instant File Access" (more info here) that adds support for long filenames in Win3.x. However, it maintains a database with a relationship between a long filename and the 8.3 filename used by DOS, and must first "learn" about that relationship before you will see the long filename in Windows, which is probably not exactly what you're looking for.

Reply 86 of 123, by besweeet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, once I boot into my W95 image, it'll obviously have LFN support, but I just can't get access to anything outside of that image.

So there's no way to get Windows 95 to work in DOSbox without booting it from a sandboxed image?

Reply 88 of 123, by ian_hawdon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dada wrote:

The easiest way to do this (to my knowledge, anyway) is to mount the c.img file in your operating system. qbix mentioned that mount -o loop dos622.img /mnt should do it on Linux.

To mount your imaged C drive on Linux (or using the command method) you need to know the offset of the partition.

Easiest way to do this is to use "parted":

parted c.img
WARNING: You are not superuser. Watch out for permissions.
GNU Parted 2.3
Using /home/ian/Downloads/2010_10_30_64bit/c.img
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) unit
Unit? [compact]? ?
parted: invalid token: ?
Unit? [compact]? B
(parted) print
Model: (file)
Disk /home/ian/Downloads/2010_10_30_64bit/c.img: 419069952B
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32256B 419069951B 419037696B primary fat16 boot

(parted) q

The start of the first partition is "32256B", to mount this, you'd run the following command:

$ sudo mount -o loop,offset=32256B c.img /mnt/image

from there you should be able to copy the Windows 95 installation files.

Windows 3.1, the most stable version of windows yet! 😀

Visit http://s1mp3.secret.com.br (muS1c PoD)

Reply 89 of 123, by Galatea2.2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys,

I ran into a problem which, after a two day futile struggle, has left me completely stumped. Hopefully someone here can shed some light, if anything!

I followed all the outlined steps, however when I boot into Windows 95 for the first time, and indeed every time from thereon, I receive the dreaded blue screen of death, saying:

"A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0137:BFFA21C9. The current application will be terminated.

- Press any key to terminate the current application.
- Press CTRL+ALT+DEL again to restart your computer. You will lose any unsaved information in all applications.

Press any key to continue"

This comes up after the standard Win95 logo boot screen goes into scandisk, completes scandisk after checking the filesystem, then goes into the logo screen again before crashing with the error.

Can anyone help?

Reply 93 of 123, by Galatea2.2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I've tried Windows 95 [4.00.950] but am still receiving the "fatal exception OE" error upon booting. When I close dosbox and attempt to re-boot [ie. again type "imgmount c c.img" followed by "boot c.img"], it gives me:

"Opening image file c.img
Booting from drive A...

Invalid system disk
Replace the disk and then press any key"

So now it is no longer possible to even access the boot screen. Again, any suggestions will be much appreciated, but I'm getting the feeling no one has ever had this error, so it may be excessively difficult to solve.

I'm running this on Mac OSX, if this is at all helpful.

Reply 95 of 123, by Galatea2.2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the inspiration dada - finally managed to crack it. The error appears to have came from the fact that I had two copies of dosbox - one mounted as a .dmg file while another on the Macintosh HDD. Running the one from the hard-drive produced the error, while running dosbox.img would create a flawless Win95 install. Pretty strange, but there was probably some conflict between the two.

Now just a final polishing-off query. Win95 is running with substantial graphical glitches. Reducing the display to 16 colors fixes the problem. I have read elsewhere [Windows 9x DOSBox Guide (Not officially supported)] the key to getting higher colors is installing the w950109b.zip drivers. However, how do I move the driver folder over to the Win95 operating environment? I tried mounting c.img and putting the files straight there, but it just corrupts the c.img file. Any ideas? Sorry for the rather noob question.

Reply 97 of 123, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's quite strange that you're getting graphical glitches. If you use machine=svga_s3 and cputype=pentium_slow (and possibly normal core) there shouldn't be any. I'm also running the OSX version, and in my case it works without any external drivers. But I guess you fixed that too, judging from your last post.

Hope you can find any use in Windows 95 on DOSBox, it's more of a toy/gimmick as of yet since compatibility is quite low.

Reply 98 of 123, by Galatea2.2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried making Win95 a tad more useful by using a 2 gig hard-drive. Also, following other threads, I've installed win95c via "standard vga display" and "no sound," to circumvent the rundll32 error.

However, I've hit another dead end after trying to install daemon tools. Getting usb support in win95c was pretty straightforward, but then d-tools required the installing of internet explorer 4.0. but attempting to install IE4.0 always gave this error:

"Extracting file failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low disk space for swapping file) or corrupted Cabinet file"

Any clues on how to fix this?