VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox-X branch

Topic actions

Reply 2300 of 2397, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have some floppies at my mother's house for a Win98SE computer there, and they are compressed with DriveSpace. Can I use them with a Win98SE installation with DriveSpace installed? Same with Zip100 disks?

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 2301 of 2397, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Harry Potter wrote on 2022-07-16, 20:34:

I have some floppies at my mother's house for a Win98SE computer there, and they are compressed with DriveSpace. Can I use them with a Win98SE installation with DriveSpace installed? Same with Zip100 disks?

It might work in Dosbox-X (honestly don't know, somebody else might chime in on that), but my first thing to try would be Virtualbox instead for that use case. For the ZIP, if yourdisks your ZIP Drive is USB, Virtualbox's USB passthrough will likely make things easier.

Reply 2302 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2022-07-17, 03:23:
Harry Potter wrote on 2022-07-16, 20:34:

It might work in Dosbox-X (honestly don't know, somebody else might chime in on that), but my first thing to try would be Virtualbox instead for that use case. For the ZIP, if yourdisks your ZIP Drive is USB, Virtualbox's USB passthrough will likely make things easier.

Zip 100 disks could be mounted as if a hard disk image. I've archived ZIP disks before (it's easy in Linux using ddrescue and the USB version of the ZIP drive), the medium itself appears as an array of 512-byte sectors regardless of the file system written on it.

Are you sure the floppies are DriveSpace compressed? I've only ever heard of DriveSpace compressed hard disk partitions, but never floppies.

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 2303 of 2397, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, the floppies are DrivrSpace-compressed. I compressed them myself. 😀 Thank you for the info! 😀

Reply 2304 of 2397, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

New to Dosbox-x and got windows 98 running through it on a win10 system. Question I have is what is the procedure to get usb sticks to interact with it?
Install usb drivers via an image file? Can't seem to find any info on it so maybe it's a no go.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2305 of 2397, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try:

mount e d:\ -t floppy

where e is the name of the drive to call it and d:\ is the drive as Windows sees it.

Reply 2306 of 2397, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
buckeye wrote on 2022-08-01, 15:24:

New to Dosbox-x and got windows 98 running through it on a win10 system. Question I have is what is the procedure to get usb sticks to interact with it?
Install usb drivers via an image file? Can't seem to find any info on it so maybe it's a no go.

There is no support for USB pass-through.

Reply 2307 of 2397, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Harry Potter wrote on 2022-08-02, 14:51:

Try:

mount e d:\ -t floppy

where e is the name of the drive to call it and d:\ is the drive as Windows sees it.

That is a folder mount, and will not work with a guest OS as such.

But starting with the latest DOSBox-X release, there is now support for dynamically converting a folder mount into a FAT HDD partition, available to a guest OS. This is documented on the DOSBox-X wiki. e.g.,
https://dosbox-x.com/wiki/Guide%3AInstalling- … t_folder_mounts

Reply 2308 of 2397, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks all for the info, like to keep it simple so I'll stick to image files for transferring stuff for now.

On a side note can anyone explain why when in the guest os under the dosbox-x drive menu all the drives are "grayed out"?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2309 of 2397, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
buckeye wrote on 2022-08-08, 15:43:

Thanks all for the info, like to keep it simple so I'll stick to image files for transferring stuff for now.

On a side note can anyone explain why when in the guest os under the dosbox-x drive menu all the drives are "grayed out"?

That is a known limitation. It is because the DOSBox-X drive letters loose their meaning once you boot a guest OS. At that point the guest OS is responsible for assigning drive letters and therefore DOSBox-X does not know which drive letter corresponds to the drive letters from the guest OS. Internally a drive ID is used, and really once you boot a guest OS, those drive letters should probably be replaced by the drive ID, but that has yet to be implemented.

Reply 2310 of 2397, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! I have a feature request for DOSBox-X. I want to have a .conf file is the same location as a DOS program and the option to use the file to start the program.

Reply 2311 of 2397, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can specify the location of the config file with the -conf option. Just run `dosbox-x -help` for a list of options.

In addition, if there is a config file called "dosbox.conf" in your current working directory, it will automatically be used. No need for even using the -conf option.

Reply 2313 of 2397, by Alevam-Inc.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know a way to fix the audio issues I am having? I'll leave a sound clip here to demonstrate what I am dealing with as well as my .conf file.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-x.conf
    File size
    232.58 KiB
    Downloads
    78 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    DOSBox-X Win98 Startup.mp3
    File size
    180 KiB
    Downloads
    64 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2314 of 2397, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's probably just a minor hiccup in the emulation speed, nothing to worry about.

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 2316 of 2397, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There can be many reasons for audio hiccups. To name a few...

• It could be that your PC simply cannot keep up with the emulation requirement.
  • It could also be that the audio is being synced by the program/game to the emulated video output. So unless your host output runs at the same speed, you will experience issues. e.g. VGA modes typically use 70Hz, while modern LCD displays are almost always only 60Hz.
  • Conversion between emulated and host audio frequencies can cause latency issues
  • Audio buffering issues

Reply 2317 of 2397, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alevam-Inc. wrote on 2022-09-30, 18:45:

So there is no way to fix it then?

I had some problems with audio stuttering that was resolved by increasing the blocksize and prebuffer values, but that was in the DOS rather than Win98 environment.

I get good results from the following values (without any noticeable lag):

blocksize = 2048
prebuffer = 80

Also, in the Win98 environment, have you tried changing your emulated sound card to any of the other options (and updating your drivers in Win98 accordingly)?

DOSBox SVN for macOS (x86-64) - customized with Munt MT-32, Nuked OPL3, 3dfx Voodoo, Extra RAM, Large HD, and more.
https://github.com/almeath/DOSBox-SVN-64-bit-for-macOS

Reply 2319 of 2397, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would recommend trying the regular Sound Blaster 16 (sb16). Windows 98 should already have the files to enable plug-and-play installation.

If that, in conjunction with increasing the block size and prebuffer, makes no difference, then the issue you are experiencing is more likely to be related to underlying performance issues. If “max” cycles is already set, experiment with how high you can set fixed cycles and still achieve usable performance. For example:

cycles = fixed 120000

DOSBox SVN for macOS (x86-64) - customized with Munt MT-32, Nuked OPL3, 3dfx Voodoo, Extra RAM, Large HD, and more.
https://github.com/almeath/DOSBox-SVN-64-bit-for-macOS