DOSBox-X branch

Topic actions

Reply 900 of 2397, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xcomcmdr wrote:

Also, if Windows 95/98 could detect and operate the emulated 3DFX card, that would be very very useful ! 😉
I don't know how hard it would be to implement, though.

Doesn't it do that already? (If the emulated 3DFX card can't be "detected and operated", what good is it?)

Reply 901 of 2397, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes that would be great... a Dosbox Version who can Run Win95 and Win98 with 3DFX Emulation and NE2000 Network Support.

Other Versions can Do this Like the Daum Version or Dosbox-G.
Played Colin Mc Rae with 3D Acceleration and Network in Win95 inside Dosbox.

Can't remember which Version it was.

Will Test it with dosbox-x now.

Reply 902 of 2397, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
xcomcmdr wrote:

Also, if Windows 95/98 could detect and operate the emulated 3DFX card, that would be very very useful ! 😉
I don't know how hard it would be to implement, though.

Doesn't it do that already? (If the emulated 3DFX card can't be "detected and operated", what good is it?)

It works with DOS Glide games, which is already very good. 😀

I was curious so I tried with Windows Glide games. Alas, Win95 doesn"t see the emulated 3DFX card and neither do Windows Glide/D3D games.

For Glide games, I usually use Glide wrappers, or real hardware (and I know there are DOSBox builds working with Glide wrappers). But sometimes neither are an option. Alas, even VirtualPC, which runs Win9X when VirtualBox/VMWare/QEMU do not run it at all, can't run a lot of 3D games, even really early ones. Besides, VirtualPC only runs on Windows, and has troubles running on Windows 8 (it keeps crashing the Intel video driver on my end).

Essentially, DOSBox-X could fill the gap for a "WinBox" emulator : DOSBox-X already runs Win9X better than DOSBox does, so I think it's a very good candidate. Maybe it's out of scope (DOS and Windows 9X and their games are too very different beasts. Emulating DOS games is already a nightmare, but Windows 9X and DOS games full compatibility in the same emulator's codebase ? It makes my head hurt only thinking about it... But I might be wrong), but yesterday stand-alone 3DFX emulation inside DOSBox was only a dream, so there is hope it could work with Windows 95. 😀

Reply 903 of 2397, by Gui55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote:
It works with DOS Glide games, which is already very good. :) […]
Show full quote

It works with DOS Glide games, which is already very good. 😀

I was curious so I tried with Windows Glide games. Alas, Win95 doesn"t see the emulated 3DFX card and neither do Windows Glide/D3D games.

For Glide games, I usually use Glide wrappers, or real hardware (and I know there are DOSBox builds working with Glide wrappers). But sometimes neither are an option. Alas, even VirtualPC, which runs Win9X when VirtualBox/VMWare/QEMU do not run it at all, can't run a lot of 3D games, even really early ones. Besides, VirtualPC only runs on Windows, and has troubles running on Windows 8 (it keeps crashing the Intel video driver on my end).

Essentially, DOSBox-X could fill the gap for a "WinBox" emulator : DOSBox-X already runs Win9X better than DOSBox does, so I think it's a very good candidate. Maybe it's out of scope (DOS and Windows 9X and their games are too very different beasts. Emulating DOS games is already a nightmare, but Windows 9X and DOS games full compatibility in the same emulator's codebase ? It makes my head hurt only thinking about it... But I might be wrong), but yesterday stand-alone 3DFX emulation inside DOSBox was only a dream, so there is hope it could work with Windows 95. 😀

Funny, I'm pretty sure that DOSBox-X already does detect the Voodoo 1 chip in windows 9x. I don't believe that there is any glide emulation though -- option "glide=emu; true; false" is not present in dosbox.conf. I've tested many windows 9x d3d games under windows 9x on DOSBox-X, and all work. Do you have isapnpbios enabled or disabled? Also try manually installing "pci bus" under system devices with the add new hardware wizard.

@Codeholio: As a suggestion for DOSBox-X, could it be possible to add back Direct3D/pixelshader plugin for "output" under SDL in dosbox.conf? Right now you can only use "ddraw" to get hardware scaling to the full size of your desktop, and it isn't as good for full screen scaling along with the other options (ie opengl, surface, etc.)

IE 5.5 SP2

Reply 904 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need to have PCI emulation enabled and voodoo emulation enabled. I don't think there are ISA versions of the 3Dfx cards (are there?).

When you say that Windows 95 doesn't see the 3Dfx card, do you mean that the glide drivers fail or that the card doesn't show up at all? Try bringing up the control panel in Windows 95, selecting the "system" and see if the voodoo card shows up as an "unknown PCI device". If that's the case, then it's only a problem of finding the right 3Dfx drivers for Windows 95.

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 905 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gui55 wrote:

Funny, I'm pretty sure that DOSBox-X already does detect the Voodoo 1 chip in windows 9x. I don't believe that there is any glide emulation though -- option "glide=emu; true; false" is not present in dosbox.conf. I've tested many windows 9x d3d games under windows 9x on DOSBox-X, and all work. Do you have isapnpbios enabled or disabled? Also try manually installing "pci bus" under system devices with the add new hardware wizard.

@Codeholio: As a suggestion for DOSBox-X, could it be possible to add back Direct3D/pixelshader plugin for "output" under SDL in dosbox.conf? Right now you can only use "ddraw" to get hardware scaling to the full size of your desktop, and it isn't as good for full screen scaling along with the other options (ie opengl, surface, etc.)

I'm not very familiar with how to support that code. If someone here can do it better than I can, I can accept patches and pull requests to add it in.
Edit: by that I mean I'm not familiar with Direct3D and how you implement pixel shaders in Windows. I have played a bit with shaders and OpenGL in Linux + MesaGL, but that's about it.

Last edited by TheGreatCodeholio on 2015-04-01, 04:37. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 906 of 2397, by Gui55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:

You need to have PCI emulation enabled and voodoo emulation enabled. I don't think there are ISA versions of the 3Dfx cards (are there?).

No, there isn't. I was simply referring to the bugs you fixed almost a year ago concerning pci/isapnp emulation. It doesn't matter now I don't think whether you have ISA PNP enabled or not.

IE 5.5 SP2

Reply 907 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also added a key binding "CTRL+pause" to the mapper that allows you to pause emulation. While paused you can hit spacebar to single-step frame-by-frame the emulation. Anyone tried that yet?

Reply 908 of 2397, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested Dosbox-x with Windows95C and 3DFX Emulation.

A "voodoo graphics" card is detected and shown in Hardware Manager.

Installed 3dfx Drivers and DirectX an i can Play Colin McRae Rally with Hardware Acceleration.

I have to manually install PCI-Bus, then the "Multimedia Device" asks for Drivers.

Reply 909 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sammy wrote:
Tested Dosbox-x with Windows95C and 3DFX Emulation. […]
Show full quote

Tested Dosbox-x with Windows95C and 3DFX Emulation.

A "voodoo graphics" card is detected and shown in Hardware Manager.

Installed 3dfx Drivers and DirectX an i can Play Colin McRae Rally with Hardware Acceleration.

I have to manually install PCI-Bus, then the "Multimedia Device" asks for Drivers.

Ah, forgot to mention: Windows 95 depends on the ISA Plug & Play BIOS to detect the PCI bus. It should see the PCI bus automatically if you set isapnpbios=true.

Reply 910 of 2397, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry it's my fault...

I've tested it with Daum Version not with Dosbox-X

With Dosbox-X i can't install Windows95C.. The first part of setup finishes but after reboot i got a Windows Protection Failure.

I can start in "failsafe mode" and remove "plug and play bios" from Hardwarw Manager, but setup the crashes with a kernel.dll failure.

Is there any installation Guide for installing windows 95 on Dosbox-X ?

What is the newest Dosbox-X version ?
I've downloaded dosbox-x-windows-1266d4022804aac9e22a12fbd8ce7c660b38418a, but it says it is from 2013???

Reply 911 of 2397, by Jarvik7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think he just never updated the release date in the source.

Read the .conf file and set it up properly before installing Win9x to avoid errors. (isapnp etc)

Reply 912 of 2397, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i've use a win95 Installation which was Setup with another Dosbox Version.

Copyied that imagefile to Dosbox-x and enable isapnp in config File.

Then search for new Hardware. but it only Found APM BIOS and Floppy Disk controller..

Have to install PCI-Bus manually.

Still search for a step by step Guide for installing win95 in dosbox-x.

BTW.. Has Dosbox-x the NE2000 patch? i Found nothing about it in .conf File.

Reply 913 of 2397, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dosbox-X is one of the builds that Display the Graphics in 3DFX emulation Mode correct.

The only other build who works ist SVN Daum from 6 May 2013.
The 27 Jan 2014 Build only gives me a colorchanging Square in the upper right corner, but the game runs (i can hear the engine sound when i accelerate in Colin mc rae for example)

With Dosbox-X i can play my Games again, cause the display the Game in 3dfx mode correct.

Reply 914 of 2397, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:

I'm not very familiar with how to support that code. If someone here can do it better than I can, I can accept patches and pull requests to add it in.
Edit: by that I mean I'm not familiar with Direct3D and how you implement pixel shaders in Windows. I have played a bit with shaders and OpenGL in Linux + MesaGL, but that's about it.

You seem to have all the code in your tree, but are probably missing headers and libraries for compiling. You need to have d3d9.h for direct3d to be enabled (and obviously set HAVE_D3D9_H in config.h). This only enables direct3d output. For the shader support, you need to link to d3dx9 library and set C_D3DSHADERS as well...

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 915 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't gotten around yet to the shaders fix but I have posted a new version with plenty of new development. There is now a working cputype=286 implementation with experimental code for 8086 and 80186 cputype settings as well. It's good enough for most DOS programs to detect the CPU as you intended. The latest version can also run 286-level software that uses tricks like triple-fault-BIOS-reset-vector hackery to jump back to real mode. I had to mod the OpenGL patch I merged slightly because VS2008 still treats functions like glActiveTexture as ARB extensions. There are two demoscene entries that run now, one refused to run because DOSBox-X's INT 1 and INT 3 debug vectors pointed to a callback followed by IRET, which the demo mistook for a debugger and refused to run. The other refused to run because it checks whether INT 67h is non-NULL to detect expanded memory instead of a full proper check, where DOSBox-X previously left INT 67h pointed to a default callback in the BIOS.

Let me know how this version turns out. Thanks!

Reply 916 of 2397, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tested Need for Speed 2 SE in DOSBOX Daum and Dosbox-x.

Both, software Mode and 3DFX mode crash back to my Windows95/98 Destop after Starting a Race.

I can play with no crash when i disable soundblaster in Dosbox.conf.

BTW: When soundblaster Emulation is enabled the main menu in NFS2SE (3dfx) has so some flickering and Graphic errors.

Could anyone try NFS2SE please ?
I tested it with installed win95c and win98se in dosbox.

Reply 919 of 2397, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi

Trying to compile dosbox-x's git as of today in mingw errors 'abort was not declared in this scope' on core_normal/prefix_none.h

GCC 4.7.2

I haven't compiled dosbox-x before

my motivation is voodoo related and I want to toy with the Voodoo OpenGL code 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem