DOSBox-X branch

Topic actions

Reply 980 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Silanda wrote:

I've built the latest version of Dosbox-X but I'm having some issues with Soundblaster 16 emulation. Specifically, it doesn't seem to work in games that use the Miles sound driver (the one with setsound.exe). If I try to detect the SB16 all that happens is I get a few clicks and then a "No Device Found" error. Choosing the Soundblaster Pro driver instead does work. Also, the SB16 does seem to work in games that use different drivers (HMI for example).

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

I know there are substandard SB support implementations that can fail because of quirks in the SB16.

Try editing your dosbox.conf and setting in your [sblaster] section:

# disable SB16 busy cycle
dsp busy cycle rate=0
sbtype=sb16

Another possible reason might be the tests involved aren't prepared for SB16 IRQ behavior where if the DSP attempts to fire and IRQ and the previous has not been acknowledged, it will halt playback.

Try editing your dosbox.conf and setting in your [sblaster] section:

# disable SB16 IRQ behavior
dsp require interrupt acknowledge=false

If you can point me to a good example of a game or demo with this problem, I'll look at it on my end.

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 981 of 2397, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried both but neither worked for me sadly. The Extreme Assault demo (or the full game for that matter) demonstrates the problem. The demo's available here: https://archive.org/details/ExtremeAssault_1020

FWIW that demo acted strangely on my system when I tried to run the sound config from the installer. I had to run setsound at the command line.

Reply 982 of 2397, by avx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Doom 1 has no "reverse stereo" feature in it, yet on SB pro setting the L/R are reversed. With GUS they are not reversed (when swap stereo unticked). So when I configured music to come from GUS and effects from SB pro, things are not right and the global swap stereo does not solve this.

I propose the MIXER would have invidual stereo swapping per card.
MIXER channel left:right /SWAP or /INVERT

this earlier patch added the global swap
download/file.php?id=6610

For temporary solution I suppose I just make the swap stereo default and reverse the GUS L/R or just reverse the SB Pro L/R which would make the swap stereo unnecessary.

For reference here is GUS recording from Doom.. You can hear the first string sound is hard panned to left.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXsV5MyHU6k

EDIT: not sure WTH is going on, now this sounds like mono to me!

FYI: UPDATED the "pan table patch" post earlier .. there is a problem - while the demos and few games on the ACE CD sound right now, SC2 game stopped sounding right. Might be due to missing some register.

Last edited by avx on 2015-09-01, 04:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 983 of 2397, by arromdee3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bocke wrote:

On a related note, maybe configure could automatically set --disable-dynamic-x86 on x86_64?

Replying to an old post (May 2014), but when I try it now I see that dosbox-x still disables the dynamic core for 64 bit. Is the dynamic core still not working in 64 bit? My system doesn't give me a way to compile as 32 bit.

Reply 984 of 2397, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, just had a couple of questions to ask regarding DOSBox-X if that's okay.

1) What's going on with the config saving function at the moment? Two or three releases ago it did the traditional thing of auto-building an extended config in %LocalAppData%\DOSBox with all the possible settings, but now it seems to not build any config, and if you use the menu to manually save settings, the new file will only list those settings that got changed from their default position. Everything else is ignored. I could just bring over the bigger config from the last build to make them, but I have no clue if it's still missing details on any particular features added since then, particularly in v0.801.

2) What's the best tutorial to follow on installing and setting up Windows 95 under v0.801? I know there's http://dosbox95.darktraveler.com/, but its guide seems to focus on using a combination of plain v0.74 and an old Daum build to get around graphical bugs during the setup process, and I'd like to know if DOSBox-X avoids all that, or indeed would expect one to do a lot of things differently to that guide.

Thanks!

Reply 985 of 2397, by Jarvik7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unless you're going for the small footprint install I developed (and haven't updated in a long time), I think the process now is to just install it like you would on a real PC.

Reply 986 of 2397, by Gui55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
marzsyndrome wrote:

What's going on with the config saving function at the moment? Two or three releases ago it did the traditional thing of auto-building an extended config in %LocalAppData%\DOSBox with all the possible settings, but now it seems to not build any config, and if you use the menu to manually save settings, the new file will only list those settings that got changed from their default position. Everything else is ignored. I could just bring over the bigger config from the last build to make them, but I have no clue if it's still missing details on any particular features added since then, particularly in v0.801.

There is a new parameter you have to use with the config command that wasn't documented yet, you need to type config -all -wcd (now I think TheGreatCodeholio added the documentation for the "-all" parameter when typing config -h/? for help in a commit on github, so we should have this documentation in a newer release). This will build all the settings/options with their default values in dosbox.conf.

IE 5.5 SP2

Reply 987 of 2397, by masaykh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is Glide supported in this build ?
i`m asking becouse then i try to make windows see it - it dont see.
As windows (even 95) without DX8\9 not much useful running something like dx wrapper on top on glide look like VERY nice idea.

Reply 988 of 2397, by arromdee3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I run Tomb Raider Glide version (Mageia Linux 5.0, 64 bit build), the movies produce this warning.

DOSBox LOG: SDL:OPENGL:No support for texturesize of 2048, falling back to surface

glxinfo -l | grep TEXTURE includes

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE = 8192
GL_MAX_3D_TEXTURE_SIZE = 2048

Reply 990 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Silanda wrote:

I tried both but neither worked for me sadly. The Extreme Assault demo (or the full game for that matter) demonstrates the problem. The demo's available here: https://archive.org/details/ExtremeAssault_1020

FWIW that demo acted strangely on my system when I tried to run the sound config from the installer. I had to run setsound at the command line.

Same here, running the sound setup from the installer or setup program just crashes or hangs. SETSOUND run directly works fine.

DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 991 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
arromdee3 wrote:
bocke wrote:

On a related note, maybe configure could automatically set --disable-dynamic-x86 on x86_64?

Replying to an old post (May 2014), but when I try it now I see that dosbox-x still disables the dynamic core for 64 bit. Is the dynamic core still not working in 64 bit? My system doesn't give me a way to compile as 32 bit.

The dynamic core code is written for 32-bit systems. Since it works at the assembly level it's kind of unrealistic to throw it into 64-bit builds and expect it to work.

Reply 992 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Silanda wrote:

Also, same here, Sound Blaster 16 support in Extreme Assault doesn't work with DOSBox-X. It sounds like it's testing for something that DOSBox-X doesn't emulate. However if you select "Sound Blaster Pro" it works.

Reply 993 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
masaykh wrote:

Is Glide supported in this build ?
i`m asking becouse then i try to make windows see it - it dont see.
As windows (even 95) without DX8\9 not much useful running something like dx wrapper on top on glide look like VERY nice idea.

The last time I tested, glide seems to work with both DOS and Windows.

The drivers I found assume Pentium Pro MTRR registers and you will need to tell DOSBox-X to emulate a Pentium and ignore unknown model-specific registers for the GLIDE driver to work in DOS.

Reply 994 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

avx, I just ran DOOM 1.2 with GUS sound (not music) against the GUS emulation. To be honest, the cutting out effect is exactly what I'd expect DOOM's sound engine to do when it's playing a sound effect rapidly. I'll boot up an old Pentium system with GUS to see if it does that on real hardware.

Reply 995 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
marzsyndrome wrote:

2) What's the best tutorial to follow on installing and setting up Windows 95 under v0.801? I know there's http://dosbox95.darktraveler.com/, but its guide seems to focus on using a combination of plain v0.74 and an old Daum build to get around graphical bugs during the setup process, and I'd like to know if DOSBox-X avoids all that, or indeed would expect one to do a lot of things differently to that guide.

Thanks!

In my testing, a lot has been fixed up in DOSBox-X that you should be able to just install Windows 95 normally without any hacks at all. I suggest setting machine=svga_s3 for S3 graphics. Windows 95 is now very stable with it's own S3 driver to talk to DOSBox-X.

Reply 996 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:
Silanda wrote:

Also, same here, Sound Blaster 16 support in Extreme Assault doesn't work with DOSBox-X. It sounds like it's testing for something that DOSBox-X doesn't emulate. However if you select "Sound Blaster Pro" it works.

Found a quick workaround: set goldplay=false then run the SB16 detection again.

Reply 997 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, figured out what is wrong with Extreme Assault SB16 detection and the latest commit has a fix that allows it to work with SB16 emulation.

Hopefully the same fix will resolve other issues mentioned here with Miles sound drivers and SB16 detection.

Reply 999 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SA1988 wrote:

if you want to add optional aha-1540 emulation, I've got the manual and documents about it 😀

Off the top of my head, "AHA-xxxx" means some kind of Adaptec SCSI host adapter? Sure, why not?

For emulations sake, is that chipset on ISA or PCI cards? Are there drivers for it for DOS and Windows 9x?