VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox-X branch

Topic actions

Reply 1960 of 2397, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Muz: Why not just use the following commands in DOSBox-X?

IMGMOUNT A 622c.img
IMGMOUNT C windows95.img
IMGMOUNT D longbow.iso
BOOT C:

Everything else is not needed (you do not need to specify things like "-size 512,63,16,3072 -t hdd -fs none" or "-t iso -fs iso" in DOSBox-X). And instead of using "IMGMOUNT 3 ...", just use "IMGMOUNT D ...". Moreover, you can find the Windows 95 guide for DOSBox-X here.

Reply 1961 of 2397, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Muz: please do not bump threads that are ages old. Do as the others suggested and read up the newer guides and if you have problems, ask in this DOSBox-X thread.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 1963 of 2397, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Wengier wrote on 2020-10-14, 20:46:
Agathosdaimon wrote on 2020-10-13, 22:37:

okay thanks i didnt know that - i have htough now just been add on the -set xxxx commands in the command line - still even with 96mb ram, 8mb vmem, pentium mmx, max cycles the game runs slowly in the matches when running the 3dfxuefa.exe - is there another setting i can try in dosbox-x to increase the performance power, or is something else possibly the culprit?
the match game is not so slow as to be unplayable but slow enough to make it seem quite easy - compared to the normal speed of the game in the Vesa setting

Agathosdaimon: Playing 3dfx games with the low-level internal 3dfx hardware emulation will indeed be slow. However, if the game can be played with the high-level Glide emulation, then it will be MUCH faster. Please see this Wiki page for more details about 3dfx in DOSBox-X:

https://dosbox-x.com/wiki/Guide%3ASetting-up- … OSBox%E2%80%90X

maybe i am doing something wrong - i do have Nglide installed and use it often for old games, as well as DGvoodoo as the alternate option. So switched on 'glide" in the dosbox-x config and save it and run dosbox-x with teh saved config and confirm that it starts with glide selected, but i dont really see any indication that when i run the program Nglide is being recognised, i tried also using DGvoodoo but there is no dgvoodoo watermark coming up which lets me know its running.
Unfortunately the details in the linkyou provided dont really give an explanation on what steps i need to take for the pass-thru to glide to take place.

Reply 1964 of 2397, by gfernval

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use Windows XP SP3 Professional and have a problem with sound in running Windows 3.1 with MS-DOS 5.0 (SB16 emulation) I have compiled successfully latest version 0.83.6 in SDL2 mode using mingw (SDL1 versions do not work in Windows XP, PC hangs with "dosbox-x has encountered a problem and needs to close") and the problem is that running c:\sb16\diagnose.exe fails to identify a valid low DMA channel: when we arrive to the selection of low DMA channel DIAGNOSE.EXE gives the error "The low DMA Channel selected may already been used by other peripheral cards".
The strange thing (I have checked this) is that older versions of dosbox-x worked fine: Release DOSBox-X 0.82.18 worked fine with DIAGNOSE.EXE (and so the sound can be heard in Windows 3.1), but versions 0.82.19 and newer do not work anymore, it seems that versions 0.82.19 and newer introduced non-compatible changes in DMA handling.

Reply 1965 of 2397, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

gfernval: DOSBox-X tries to enforce DMA transfer mode and read/write direction, but the DMA recording function is not yet implemented. For now I think a simply hack for DIAGNOSE.EXE can be done to make it work, until the DMA recording function is properly implemented later. Please check out the next version, which should come in 2 weeks.

Reply 1967 of 2397, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Wengier wrote on 2020-10-19, 00:34:

Agathosdaimon: For high-level Glide emulation to work, the game has to support the Glide emulation. Otherwise it can't work because it simply does not use the Glide functions.

oh right - excuse my ignorance on this - i thought the game having 3DFx functionality means it can support glide emulation, - glide and 3dfx are the same thing arent they? sorry i am sure i am simplifying things here

Reply 1968 of 2397, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Agathosdaimon wrote on 2020-10-19, 03:49:
Wengier wrote on 2020-10-19, 00:34:

Agathosdaimon: For high-level Glide emulation to work, the game has to support the Glide emulation. Otherwise it can't work because it simply does not use the Glide functions.

oh right - excuse my ignorance on this - i thought the game having 3DFx functionality means it can support glide emulation, - glide and 3dfx are the same thing arent they? sorry i am sure i am simplifying things here

Well...not really. Glide is just an api, 3dfx cards support opengl/d3d as well.

Reply 1969 of 2397, by gfernval

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To Wengier:
Thanks for your reply, will wait next version. I ´m unable to make the real parallel port on my machine with Windows XP work (onboard real port in motherboard) work.
If I use "parallel1 = reallpt realbase:378" in dosbox-x.conf the parallel port is not recognized, and if I use "parallel1 = file dev:lpt1" the parallel port is recognized but does not work. I launch dosbox-x with the following .bat file:

@echo off
d:
cd \dosbox-x
allowio dosbox-x.exe -conf dosbox-x.conf /a

I have porttalk.sys installed

Direct parallel port passthrough works well in DOSBox version SVN_MB6 (with porttalk installed)

Reply 1970 of 2397, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gfernval wrote on 2020-10-19, 08:36:
To Wengier: Thanks for your reply, will wait next version. I ´m unable to make the real parallel port on my machine with Windows […]
Show full quote

To Wengier:
Thanks for your reply, will wait next version. I ´m unable to make the real parallel port on my machine with Windows XP work (onboard real port in motherboard) work.
If I use "parallel1 = reallpt realbase:378" in dosbox-x.conf the parallel port is not recognized, and if I use "parallel1 = file dev:lpt1" the parallel port is recognized but does not work. I launch dosbox-x with the following .bat file:

@echo off
d:
cd \dosbox-x
allowio dosbox-x.exe -conf dosbox-x.conf /a

I have porttalk.sys installed

Direct parallel port passthrough works well in DOSBox version SVN_MB6 (with porttalk installed)

For real parallel port to work with DOSBox-X you will need the inpout32.dll file in the DOSBox-X directory. There is a recent thread related to this and you can certainly check it out:

https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/issues/1948

Reply 1973 of 2397, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is right-:) DOSBox-X aims to be a complete and accurate DOS emulation package, so on systems including DOS itself you can emulate another DOS system with a different PC configuration (different machine type, video/sound cards etc) that work better for the user’s purpose.

Reply 1974 of 2397, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOSBox-X has a number of features, such as support for 3DFX with Glide wrapper, save states (up to 100 save slots), clipboard, printing, networking, long filenames, FAT32, MT32, Nuked OPL, FluidSynth, Direct3D/GLSL shaders, CD audio tracks, and many more. However, due to the limitations of the DOS environment, many or most of these features cannot be supported when you run DOSBox-X in a real DOS system (MS-DOS etc). If you use another operating system such as Windows, Linux or macOS, then DOSBox-X will surely work much better than running DOSBox-X in DOS itself.

Last edited by Wengier on 2020-10-25, 04:56. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1975 of 2397, by gfernval

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Using a PCI parallel card based on MCS9805 or MCS9815 chip and putting inpout32.dll together dosbox-x.exe, editing dosbox-x.conf and
changing the line "parallel1 = disabled" to "parallel1 = reallpt realbase:d150" (where d150 is the IO address assigned to the PCI parallel card)
results in a virtualized parallel port in dosbox-x with IO address 0x378 that works perfectly, I have tested it with an ALLMAX EEtools programmer
and a Sentinel Pro dongle, keep doing the good work.

Reply 1976 of 2397, by gfernval

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

d150 is the actual IO address assigned to my PCI parallel port card, other PCI parallel port card have other assigned IO addresses, see Control
Panel in Windows to check the actual IO addresses. The tests above I have done it with a Windows XP machine

Reply 1977 of 2397, by gfernval

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello:

Do you know why dosbox-x version 0.83.4 works in machines with Pentium III (I have compiled it from source code in a Pentium III Windows XP machine)
but versions 0.83.5 and versions 0.83.6 not? (also compiled from source code in a Pentium III Windows XP machine)

Reply 1978 of 2397, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

gfernval: I just tried DOSBox-X 0.83.6 32-bit MinGW (both SDL1 and SDL2) builds inside a Windows XP VM, and they seem to run just fine. I don't have a Pentium III Windows XP machine to test at this time, but since they do run in a Windows XP VM, I guess the issue may have occurred because of other things like missing DLLs or so.

Reply 1979 of 2397, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's probably trying to use the AVX code, because the check for AVX2 support is broken.
It uses the wrong cpuid page to check if the CPU supports it (a Pentium 3 would not, but the code is looking at bit 5 of the brand index instead of the AVX2 feature bit) and doesn't check at all if the OS supports handling the YMM registers (Windows XP does not).