DOSBox-X branch

Topic actions

Reply 1660 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:

It would be nice if MDA mode also emulates that MDA only has 4k of video memory (as opposed to the 32k/64k of Hercules).
MDA memory wraps that 4k around in the range of B0000-B7FFF, where Hercules has a full 32k there without wraparound, and another optional 32k from B8000-BFFFF when no CGA card is installed.

It already does. According to the current implementation, machine=hercules already limits memory to 4KB unless a bit is flipped to enable the rest of the memory. machine=mda prevents setting that bit, therefore 4KB limit.

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 1661 of 2397, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:

It already does. According to the current implementation, machine=hercules already limits memory to 4KB unless a bit is flipped to enable the rest of the memory. machine=mda prevents setting that bit, therefore 4KB limit.

Hm, I'd have to check that (I have an original Hercules GB102 card), but I don't think Hercules has that behaviour.
Afaik the first 32k is always enabled, and there is no wraparound, even in textmode (you just get 8 pages of text instead of just 1). The second 64k is enabled by setting a bit.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 1662 of 2397, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the work, Codeholio! This is my new version of DOSBox to use. Loving that xbrz scaler 😀

I have a feature request, if you'll allow it- (optional) faux stereo sound for Adlib mono soundtracks. See my older post for details (Adlib stereo in DOSBox?), but basically the DOSBox for DS utility from a while back, DSx86, was able to implement stereo Adlib sound by modifying DOSBox's code. I'm sure Patrick would be happy to provide it if asked for, otherwise I'm sure knowledgeable minds can recreate it.

Much in the same way a scaler can provide output more to one's taste in 2018/9, stereo sound in the Adlib games can sound really, really good. I would much rather play Duke Nukem II on my HD laptop than my tiny DS, though! 😉

Once again, thanks for your hard work and the great results. Fast and beautiful, and just seamless.

Reply 1663 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:

Hm, I'd have to check that (I have an original Hercules GB102 card), but I don't think Hercules has that behaviour.
Afaik the first 32k is always enabled, and there is no wraparound, even in textmode (you just get 8 pages of text instead of just 1). The second 64k is enabled by setting a bit.

So then the emulation is wrong in src/hardware/vga_draw.cpp and src/hardware/vga_other.cpp concerning Hercules graphics emulation?

DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 1664 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Patch to incorporate (minimally) the DOSBox-X mixer code into DOSBox SVN (attached).[OLDER PATCH, scroll down for newer patch]

EDIT: This is against SVN revision r4180 "qbix79 | 2018-12-28 04:19:13 -0800 (Fri, 28 Dec 2018)"

EDIT: This will temporarily break Sound Blaster direct DAC output until the Sound Blaster code incorporates the DOSBox-X method. The new mixer lacks the "stretched" audio output function.

EDIT: This is from the dosbox-svn repository on github: git diff -r master..feature-20181230-0016-dosbox-x-mixer

Attachments

Last edited by TheGreatCodeholio on 2018-12-31, 00:45. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1665 of 2397, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

so the interpolation is always done ? How are equal sample rates treated now ?
(The last set of commits of harekiet to the mixer file)
As that part i saw being removed from my quick overview.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 1666 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

so the interpolation is always done ? How are equal sample rates treated now ?
(The last set of commits of harekiet to the mixer file)
As that part i saw being removed from my quick overview.

If the sample rates match, then the fractional part should always be zero and interpolation will result in the same sample going in. Otherwise, the fractional part will count as needed to interpolate between sample rates.

The lowpass filter should not filter unless the mixer channel has called on the mixer to apply a lowpass filter.

Reply 1667 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The mixer is written so that, if no calls are made to the mixer channel to change lowpass filtering or slew rate, interpolation will happen in the same way it does now in DOSBox SVN: Linear interpolation.

Reply 1668 of 2397, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

but what if the input rate is equal to the output rate ? (as those commits improved the behaviour of that)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 1669 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

but what if the input rate is equal to the output rate ? (as those commits improved the behaviour of that)

Looking over the code, freq_f == 0 when the channel is first made. If a call is made to SetFreq that matches the mixer's output rate, then it will have freq_f == 0 at every sample, freq_f += freq_n will set it to freq_d, and roll over so that on the next sample freq_f == 0 again. Without any special calls, the "slew rate" equals the sample rate (becomes linear interpolation just like SVN does now) so freq_fslew == freq_f. The interpolated sample is result = last + ((delta * freq_fslew) / freq_d). If freq_fslew == 0 at every call, then no interpolation is done.

Reply 1670 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

However if the sample rate does not match at first, then changed to match later, the SetFreq code updates freq_f to preserve whatever interpolation state was there across the sample rate change, so at that point, interpolation will always happen.

If you're concerned about that, you could modify SetFreq after the patch to set freq_f = freq_fslew = 0 instead of recomputing it from the change in sample rate.

EDIT: See DOSBox-X src/hardware/mixer.cpp line 264, MixerChannel::SetFreq

Reply 1671 of 2397, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think these lines could be removed from SVN code in the mixer-X patch:

#define FREQ_SHIFT 14
#define FREQ_NEXT ( 1 << FREQ_SHIFT)
#define FREQ_MASK ( FREQ_NEXT -1 )

#define TICK_SHIFT 14
#define TICK_NEXT ( 1 << TICK_SHIFT)
#define TICK_MASK (TICK_NEXT -1)

Reply 1672 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hail-to-the-ryzen wrote:
I think these lines could be removed from SVN code in the mixer-X patch: […]
Show full quote

I think these lines could be removed from SVN code in the mixer-X patch:

#define FREQ_SHIFT 14
#define FREQ_NEXT ( 1 << FREQ_SHIFT)
#define FREQ_MASK ( FREQ_NEXT -1 )

#define TICK_SHIFT 14
#define TICK_NEXT ( 1 << TICK_SHIFT)
#define TICK_MASK (TICK_NEXT -1)

I think it's better if the patch modifies as little as possible.

If DOSBox SVN approves of this patch, then they can remove the unused functions, variables, defines, etc.

Reply 1674 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hail-to-the-ryzen wrote:

I agree entirely but it may make it easier for their team to see the modifications.

It's easier to see modifications if the patch changes less of the code. More modifications like that will only add to the noise.

Reply 1676 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hail-to-the-ryzen wrote:

I agree. The mute function code added with the patch is also unused.

In DOSBox SVN, yes. In DOSBox-X it's tied to a menu command.

Reply 1677 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Patch to incorporate (minimally) the DOSBox-X mixer code into DOSBox SVN (attached) revised to remove "mute" function. [OLDER PATCH, scroll down for newer patch]

EDIT: This is against SVN revision r4180 "qbix79 | 2018-12-28 04:19:13 -0800 (Fri, 28 Dec 2018)"

EDIT: This will temporarily break Sound Blaster direct DAC output until the Sound Blaster code incorporates the DOSBox-X method. The new mixer lacks the "stretched" audio output function.

EDIT: This is from the dosbox-svn repository on github: git diff -r master..feature-20181230-0016-dosbox-x-mixer

Attachments

Last edited by TheGreatCodeholio on 2018-12-31, 00:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1678 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Patch to incorporate (minimally) the DOSBox-X mixer code into DOSBox SVN (attached) revised to remove "mute" function, and working Direct DAC Sound Blaster output taken from DOSBox-X and adapted to SVN.

Attachments

Reply 1679 of 2397, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some ideas for SVN patches from -X (history of commits per file):

CGA bug fixes in vga_draw.cpp and vga_dac.cpp
signed integer overflow in dbopl.cc
ems/xms fixes to vanilla memory arrangement (ems.cpp, xms.cpp, dos_memory.cpp)
INT 10h AH=1Ch save and restore code
mpu401.cpp fixes
SSE renderer fix in RENDER_StartLineHandler