VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by d_smagin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, Qbix and other Dosbox developers.

I'm doing a port of Dosbox for GCW-Zero handheld, a successor for Dingoo a320. GCW-Zero is powered by Ingenic jz4770 SoC (mips32r2) and runs a variant of linux.

Current mipsel32 dynarec can't be used because it's intended for psp which has some differences in terms of OS conventions and memory handling. Here's attached a patch for risc_mipsel32.h which fixes it.

The most prominent changes are:
- added a replacement for seb/seh opcodes for mips32 revision 1 systems
- direct calls (jal) are replaced with indirect ones (jalr)
- fixed correct stackframe setting in gen_run_code() and gen_return_function()
- added proper cacheflush
- some small fixes

Here's the video of some games running on GCW-Zero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_d … SRU-umtv2nKgpeA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUFcLcU_iSR … ayer_detailpage
UPDATE2: screen keyboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6P7I9LgYIY&fe … ayer_detailpage

It would be fine if this patch was added to mainline Dosbox.
Thanks.

Dmitry Smagin

UPDATE:

Patch update in attachment. What's new:
- The new output=surface_dingux is introduced which handles some quirks of the system. This allows to separate GCW-Zero specific code from the rest.
- Some hi-res modes (640x400x8, 640x480x8) are downscaled to 320x240 screen of GCW-Zero, others are just blitted with clipping.

Actually, OpenDingux (GCW-Zero OS) doesn't have X Server, just the pure framebuffer (/dev/fb0) which is always fullscreen. Moreover, framebuffer driver doesn't handle resolutions bigger than 320x240 (though this may change in future). That's why dosbox output should be handled in a special way, hence the new surface_dingux. No other changes to .conf file except output=surface_dingux are needed.

Full source code is here: https://github.com/dmitrysmagin/dosbox-gcw0

Attachments

• Filename
    gcw0.tar.gz
    File size
    43.47 KiB
    Downloads
    91 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by d_smagin on 2013-04-08, 05:26. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hadn't heard of that handheld. I picked up a GP2x Wiz a couple years ago and love it, except that it's slower than I'd like at SNES Mode 7 emulation even when overclocked to ~900Mhz.

This gives me hope that better affordable stuff will be out there if/when my Wiz kicks the bucket.

Reply 4 of 9, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HunterZ, i have a early prototype and its much faster than the wiz/caanoo. It would be a nice replacement. Its also an important device as something is needed to fill the void GPH has left (since they quit game devices).

Reply 5 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey, it's Pickle! Nice to cross paths with you on VOGONS 😀

The only problem with a new device is that the open handheld space is already crazy fragmented, but this looks more promising as a new device for the open handheld community to rally around than the problematic Pandora (which honestly just added another fragment due to its lack of attainability resulting from production woes and high price).

Reply 6 of 9, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah i lurk on here time to time 😉

I would agree its fragmented for older devices, but for currently produced devices its very small. Its ether the pandora or the gcw.
Pandora has actually stabilized with the new production. There are no more waits if you want one. Price is still pretty high. It still is the the best device out there for mobile open source linux. GCW is nice but it could never replace my pandora. Although I wish i had the GCW wifi in the pandora.

sorry d_smaginm weve highjacked your thread 😉

Reply 9 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Moved to the patches forum DOSBox Patches

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper