Common searches

DirectSerial patch

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It will recognize the bugged adapter too. The bug might not even surface depending on how your prepherial behaves.

You do have to change a bit of the configuration, open dosbox.conf and have a look at the [serial] section.

1+1=10

Reply 261 of 353, by brightspark58

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I' ve looked in the config file like you said. this is the serial section-

[serial]
# serial1-4 -- set type of device connected to com port.
# Can be disabled, dummy, modem, nullmodem, directserial.
# Additional parameters must be in the same line in the form of
# parameter:value. Parameter for all types is irq.
# for directserial: realport (required), rxdelay (optional).
# for modem: listenport (optional).
# for nullmodem: server, rxdelay, txdelay, telnet, usedtr,
# transparent, port, inhsocket (all optional).
# Example: serial1=modem listenport:5000

serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

what should I be looking at? I can see that you can alter the settings depending on your requirements. And that it appears the ports are either dummys or disabled. how would I go about altering these setting to function correctly with my single original serial port, and my usb serial adaptor.

Thanks
Dean

Reply 265 of 353, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I have not worked with this patch before but I *think* you need to enter a real port number, matching the real port you want to use. So if the com ports of the USB-Serial thing are Com6 and com7 then enter these numbers instead of A or B.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 267 of 353, by brightspark58

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

You were right about the reconition problem. One port is open ,thats
com1 the original oem port. unfortunately the usb serial adaptor is still
not being seen by dosbox. but thank you for helping me take another step forward 😀

Regards
Dean

Reply 269 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

31= "A device attached to the system is not functioning." (Windows error message)

Are you sure it's COM2 and not some other?
Try to find a newer driver. Or try other adapters including cardbus. Or install a decent OS 😉

1+1=10

Reply 270 of 353, by brightspark58

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I finally manage to get the serial port and the usb working together.
for some reason the usb controller in the systems manager needed refreshing. I haven't manage to get the dos application to connect to
the vehicle interface yet, But I think thats a problem withiin its software not dosbox. when I connect it to a car and start it up ,it trys to connect
but i get a messeage write error.

Thanks for all the help from everyone.

Reply 272 of 353, by dieter-erich

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have a temperature / humidity sensor that connects to the COM port via a RS232. It works together with a DOS program (and one has to define the IRQ ect. in a config file) and everything is fine up to Win98 . I have now tried a number of (I guess inofficial versions and extensions) of DOSBox but neither or them worked. My DOS program always says that there is something wrong with the sensor but there are no other error message. Is there a way to find out what is wrong? Is there a "newest" version of DOSBox that might handle this problem? Thanks a lot for help and thanks for putting your effort into the development of this piece of software.
D-E

Reply 273 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If the sensor's protocol requires strict timing then you're out of luck. DOSBox doesn't time properly below the milliseconds range. Another cause of trouble could be a USB/serial adapter.

1+1=10

Reply 274 of 353, by dieter-erich

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot for the quick answer: It is possible that it indeed needs strict timing, but I do not know. Is there a way to find out?

Furthermore: are these settings correct?
serial1=directserial realport:com1 irq:4 bytesize:8 parity=N stopbit:1
this should possibly match the data in the config of my program:
[SeriellPort1]
COM=1
IRQ=4
Baud=2400
Bits=8
Paritaet=N
Stopbits=1

I might try to go down with the baud rate? Could this help?

It is not a problem of a USB-serial adapter because my PC still has a proper RS232 connector!

Reply 275 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
serial1=directserial realport:com1

should be all that is needed. Does the DOSBox status window show some error messages?

If you like look on my homepage for 'Build with serial debugging enabled' and send me the log.

1+1=10

Reply 276 of 353, by dieter-erich

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi h-a-l-9000,
the status window does not show any error messages. However, my program says that the data it receives are out of range. I am thus afraid that you are right in that it might be a timing problem. Nevertheless, I would like to produce the debugging log to find out.

But, please forgive me my ignorance, I do not find your homepage! I shall not be able to compile any source code. So please indicate which exe file I have to use for debugging to be enabled. Thanks a lot for helping, D-E

Reply 278 of 353, by dieter-erich

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi h-a-l-9000,
I downloaded the "Build with serial debugging enabled" from your homepage and replaced the dosbox.exe (from version 0.72) with this exe file. I also entered the parameters in the dosbox.conf file. However, upon starting the program I receive the message: The ordinal number 53 was not found in the DLL "zlib1.dll" (translated from the German message). I then downloaded zlib1.dll from some site and put it into the directory but this did not change the error message. What is wrong? Thanks again for your help!

Reply 279 of 353, by dieter-erich

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I only now found that you have all the dlls on your homepage. I installed them and IT WORKS! I have to say that I am using a slightly different sensor and shall try the older sensor as well. I shall let you know the results as soon as I have time to test! In any case thanks so much! D-E