Common searches

DirectSerial patch

Topic actions

Reply 203 of 353, by Pan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's good to hear Qbix. Saves having to create new CVS copies all the time 😀

Is Hal part of the Dosbox development team on Sourceforge? Just wondering how further development of this code will now progress, unless version 8 was the final edition of course 😀

Reply 205 of 353, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think Hal's officially part of the sourceforge team but he does contribute alot of patches which are integrated into DosBox CVS.

I'm not sure how much work on the serial code is needed since I unfortunately haven't been able to test it much. From what I've seen on the forums and how long he's been working on it I can't imagine there's much more for him left to do though. Hopefully he'll post in this thread and comment.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 206 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> Is Hal part of the Dosbox development team on Sourceforge?

No, I'm independent 😉

What improvements might be done... maybe implement the FIFO (low priority), fix bugs...
Sometimes people come here having problems wit their hardware... but I can't do that much because I don't have it to debug.
Don't know why I'm doing this at all 😀

Reply 211 of 353, by cliceub

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It would like to know if somebody can help me.
I am trying to use the Dosbox to run softwares of programming for equipment of old radios of communication of the Motorola and Vertex.

My hardware config:
Toshiba Satellite 1405-s151 Celeron 1,2 Ghz, 256Mb Ram, USB-to-Serial Adapter Prolific 2303, OS Windows 2000 SP4

The radios and acessories:
- Rib serial Motorola original
- Rib serial Motorola "made in home"
- Rib serial Vertex original
- Radios VHF Motorola GM300, M216 e GP30000
- Radios VHF Vertex FTL2011, Vx10 e Vx500
- and software's

The Softwares and harwares of the Vertex run perfectly although the errors in the status windoW as follows below:

with config:
serial1=directserial realport:com2

the errors:
Serial1: Errors occured: Framing 17, Parity 0, Overrun 74 (IFO:1), Break 17
Serial1: Errors occured: Framing 0, Parity 0, Overrun 15 (IFO:0), Break 0
Serial1: Errors occured: Framing 0, Parity 0, Overrun 187 (IFO:5), Break 0
Serial1: Errors occured: Framing 0, Parity 0, Overrun 187 (IFO:6), Break 0
Serial1: Errors occured: Framing 0, Parity 0, Overrun 187 (IFO:7), Break 0
Serial1: Errors occured: Framing 0, Parity 0, Overrun 178 (IFO:5), Break 0
Serial1: Errors occured: Framing 0, Parity 0, Overrun 180 (IFO:8 , Break 0
Serial1: Errors occured: Framing 0, Parity 0, Overrun 187 (IFO:9), Break 0
Serial1: Errors occured: Framing 0, Parity 0, Overrun 183 (IFO:8 , Break 0
Serial1: Errors occured: Framing 0, Parity 0, Overrun 176 (IFO:9), Break 0
Serial1: Errors occured: Framing 0, Parity 0, Overrun 203 (IFO:9), Break 0

with config:
serial1=directserial realport:com2 rxdelay:20

the news errors is:
Serial port at 0x3f8: line error: framing error.

But vertex runs perfectly, although the errors 😊 .

Already the Motorola runs but it does not communicate 😢 with the radios and they do not give message of error in the emulator, I know that emu this having access serial therefore rib that I mounted possesss one led to indicate passes through of data and the same blinks when I try to read the configuration of the radios. Inside of the software of motorola, of the one error message informing that it does not recognize the connection with the radio.

Some information
- The interface rib that I mounted uses similar project to the one of link http://www.batlabs.com/images/mrib.gif
- The Motorola software only uses COM1 and COM2 db9 serial port's.

ps:sorry for my poor English.

Reply 212 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Your schematic helps a lot. It's the "one-wire" bus problem, rx connected to tx (like the "m-bus" earlier in this thread) again. The app sends a byte and expects it to return immediately. Though in DOSBox this is impossible since it passes it to the driver and gets it back much later. Only a hack might help.

1+1=10

Reply 213 of 353, by CJEC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[Yes, I know, shame on me for asking a non-gaming question, but it does relate to existing functionality.]

How do I get H-A-L-9000's phonebook functionality working?

Based on the Directserial and Modem Guide Directserial and Modem Guide, I've got this in DOSBOX.CONF:

[serial]
serial1=modem listenport:23
serial2=directserial comport:2 realport:com2

phonelistsize=2
phone1=bbs.synchro.net
phone2=64.148.159.105

From within Procomm Plus (or Qmodem or Telix) these work:

ATDT64.148.159.105
ATDTbbs.synchro.net

But these:

ATDT1
ATDT 1
ATDTphone1
ATDT phone1

Just get me "Connecting to host 1 port 23" or "Connecting to host PHONE1 port 23" in the status window.

I've tried build 0.65, the latest (2-15-07) CVS build, and COMBINED1 (1-9-06) with the DLLs from HAL's site under XP SP2. I've also tried it with phonesize commented out.

(I've got a commercial serial-to-IP driver with built-in phonebook functionality on COM2, and this works fine with directserial; but I'd rather not paid a hundred bucks for a license when it seems DOSBox already has all the pieces in place.)

CJEC

Reply 214 of 353, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

CJEC - the direct-serial stuff works for you. Your problem is the phonebook entries. I don't know the answer to your question (except that I checked the thread you linked to, and your entries look okay).

So instead of hijacking this thread, why not make a new one with a subject of "Problem with serialport and phonebook" ? And then delete your poist here.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 215 of 353, by cliceub

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This hack, is a “pause in running” of the application inside of the DosBox until reply of the radio to arrive?
This hack, demands work very to be implemented?

I know that it is not main purpose of Dosbox, and forgive for plus this question, I am that I have interest in this subject, therefore you finished for answering other questions 😊 , therefore in qemu and bochs similar problems occur.

Reply 216 of 353, by CJEC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

instead of hijacking this thread, why not make a new one

Sorry. I thought this thread was for the discussion of HAL's serial patch. And since the phonebook functionality was announced in this thread, it seemed the proper place for my question.

But at your suggestion, I will start a new thread.

CJEC

Reply 217 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

@CJEC
I dropped that phone numbers part (dosbox devs don't like too much spam in the config file;)). The nullmodem is my replacement. You can configure it by command line (problem was games don't accept IPs or hostnames in their phone number input field).
You'll need to find a build with that patch. I think Ykhwong had it in his build (earlier versions) or maybe I have some old builds left.

@MiniMax
Well I hijacked this thread for other serial port stuff too 😉

@cliceub
I already implemented it - will post a link soon. No guarantee though. I've gone a little different approach: directly loopback the data and remove the external one.

Reply 219 of 353, by CJEC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I dropped that phone numbers part (dosbox devs don't like too much spam in the config file;)). The nullmodem is my replacement.

Hmm. Too bad. My client has a mix of DOS, Windows XP and Linux machines and wants a cross-platform solution that will allow him to continue using his DOS comm packages. Everything works great in DOSbox, with the only hitch being his comm software (Procomm Plus for DOS) limits phone numbers to 17 digits. This is insufficient for many telnet BBS URLs, or if one has to specify a non-standard telnet port with the IP address (and, in any case, many telnet BBSes use dynamic IPs). Your phonebook functionality was the last piece in the puzzle.

You'll need to find a build with that patch.

I did locate an earlier build of yours, from 2005-12-23 and based on DOSBox 0.63, that partially works. However, it only seems to recognize the first phone number in my list. "ATDT1" correctly translates to the phone1 entry, but "ATDT2" just gets me "Connecting to phone2 port 23".

But as this is unrelated to DOSBox's main purpose, and you've dropped the feature in any case, I realize it's unsupported.

Thanks for your time.

CJEC