VOGONS

First post, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried to find an IPX tutorial on how to set up my machine to work over the internet. I have found a couple of tutorials on how to setup a ipx network on a LAN, and it has worked well.

Does anyone know of a good tutorial on how to set up my dosbox ipx to work over the internet? I am running OSX. I don't know if it helps, but with a click of a button it will run an Apache server where the IP address is accessible over the entire internet.

Brendan

Reply 1 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

It is not that difficult, but you need to keep be methodical about it. DOSBox has a built-in IPX-networking emulation where the game running in DOSBox only see an IPX network, but underneath DOSBox is using UDP (an Internet protocol) to get the packets routed over the Internet to another DOSBox.

UDP requires 2 things: An IP-address and an IP-port. The details on how to specify those is in the DOSBox README, and also how to get the IPX-emulation running in DOSBox.

To get UDP in/out of your network, you might need to configure your firewall/router to allow the UDP-packets to pass through. Exactly how that is done depends on your firewall/router, and what IP-address and IP-ports you have decided to use.

Have fun!

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 13, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
drsassafras wrote:

Thanks. I am using a fronted & have not seen the Readme.

Which frontend?

When networking, it's maybe a good idea to check whether it works w/o frontend, and if it works check the IPX connection with the frontend again.

If it doesn't work with the frontend but with plain DOSBox, is is probably a good idea to contact the author of the frontend. 😉

Klimawandel.

Reply 4 of 13, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using DBGL. not sure if there is options for it in there or not. I will look. I found the frontend nice for loading games, but don't like it for some configuring. There is a large lack of documentation on what this and that does. The config file has some comments and such that helps me along the way. I suppose if knew exactly what you were doing, it would be fine, but I fumble around a lot.

Reply 7 of 13, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ipx=true/false are the only options given in configuration file.
Other parts, like startserver, are the best located AUTOEXEC section of the config file, but I can't find this section in DBGL.

Also, the Mac port of DBGL still sits on DOSBox 0.72, it is very rarely updated.

Klimawandel.

Reply 8 of 13, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I updated mine to .73 you can configure the autoexe in the doxbox versions tab. Hit the "edit version" button and then "edit configuration file using external editor"

Do you know of a better frontend ? I tied a bunch and found this one to be the best despite its fallbacks. I would be happy for something more complete.

Reply 9 of 13, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys,

DBGL has support for IPX and the IPXNET DOSBox command (startserver, connect, etc). Do you need something else?

I have just recently automated Mac and Linux build creation, so future DBGL versions will come in all flavors simultaneously: Windows/Linux/OSX in 32 and 64bit variants.

Please name any features you're missing or bugs you have noticed, I'll be glad to help.

Reply 11 of 13, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Rcblanke, do you have a nightly build for me to download? I would happily make suggestions on things that are not-quite-working, or that I feel could be improved upon. However the current one I have is half broken. I think its because I tried updating it myself but didn't quite get it right.

Reply 12 of 13, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No nightly builds, but you should always be able to find the latest version in the main DBGL thread. Updating should just be as simple as overwriting the dbgl.jar file unless otherwise noted. If you need help with your current DBGL installation, please send a PM with details and/or files.