VOGONS

Reply 21 of 28, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WD-40 is more of a solvent than a lubricant:
https://lifehacker.com/5891936/when-should-i-not-use-wd-40

3-in-one oil is very good too, comparable to sewing machine oil.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 22 of 28, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On this subject, I have an old hard drive which works OK but makes a horrible squealing sound as it spins. How do I lubricate this? I'm frightened of breaking something so haven't attempted anything yet.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 23 of 28, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not aware of any way to safely lubricate a hard drive. Just gotta deal with the noise. 😉

Reply 24 of 28, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

WD-40 is more of a solvent than a lubricant:
https://lifehacker.com/5891936/when-should-i-not-use-wd-40

3-in-one oil is very good too, comparable to sewing machine oil.

How about shaver/clipper oil?

Reply 25 of 28, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That should work good too. Any light-colored mineral oil, from what I understand.

Reply 27 of 28, by timb.us

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote:

On this subject, I have an old hard drive which works OK but makes a horrible squealing sound as it spins. How do I lubricate this? I'm frightened of breaking something so haven't attempted anything yet.

9 times out of 10, hard drive noise is caused by the heads dragging on the platters. I like to take the cover off the drives and give the platters a nice scrub soap, water and a scouring brush (the more abrasive the better; you want to get *all* the oxide off those platters). Then you spread a *thin* layer of oil over the platters (10w40 non-detergent motor oil works well, though read/write speeds will be a little slow until the drive warms up and the oil thins out). Then you just reassemble the drive and you’re all set!

I recommend performing this procedure in a humid bathroom with a hairnet and powder free gloves on, as you don’t want any dust or hair getting inside the drive.

(Seriously, nobody do this. You *will* ruin the drive. This above portion of this post is just a joke! I shouldn’t have to say this, but I’ve seen people take some crazy things seriously on forums over the years...)

Serious Answer: If the bearings are going bad in a HD, you’re out of luck, unless you have access to a clean room that is. (Even then it’s tough.)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. (E.g., Cheez Whiz, RF, Hot Dogs)