I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Postby peido » 2018-6-11 @ 15:33

King_Corduroy wrote:I also found TWO toshiba laptops from the 90's with Lithium Ion batteries! So far the older of the two has taken a charge and operates off the battery fully. :D

Nice find. You should check the BIOS batteries. I recently bought 2 Toshiba laptops and found them leaking, one of the laptops doesn't work due to that.
peido

Postby CelGen » 2018-6-14 @ 03:02

Another strange BCM brand device with a "Whizpro" BIOS has surfaced in the trash.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ ... S_8033.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ ... S_8034.jpg

The previous one a socket 370 board that was older than this one) I nailed together that BCM, Whizpro and Gtech are all something to do with lottery machines or kiosks. That LCD screen touts an ELO touchscreen on an internal serial port and there is a barcode reader on the underside. In fact the BIOS reports there are no less than six serial ports present in the machine. It all hangs off a rather heavy duty mount of some sort. Has all the usual I/O fixings and peripheral interfaces and the riser card for PCI has solder pads for one ISA slot. There's also oddly a Mini-PCI slot on the motherboard. :confused:

The BIOS like the other one is locked and a battery pull does not clear it. Likewise the manual for the motherboard does not appear to be available online so no idea where the CMOS clear jumper might be. :(
Image "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" Image
CelGen

Postby Repo Man11 » 2018-6-14 @ 03:35

I recently found a pallet by a dumpster with some old printers, a NAD stereo receiver (something I would have killed for back in the 80s, but now I left it where it was), and a couple of PCs. One is a Compaq mini PC, with the drives removed, motherboard still there, but no memory. It takes an external power supply like a laptop. It might fire up if I add some memory and power, but I mostly snagged it because it still has a Windows 7 Pro COA on the side.
But the real find was a micro ATX case with an Asus M2NPV-VM AM2+ motherboard, GeForce 210 PCIe card, a 5600+ with a copper heat pipe cooler, and four gigs of DDR2. I plugged it in, and it fired right up! The IDE DVDRW works fine, so I tossed in a hard drive and installed Windows with no issues. It already had the beta BIOS update that supports AM3 CPUs, and I had an AM3 240 in my drawer because I upgrade my mother's machine to a quad core, and it works fine. The only problem I've found with it is that the rear sound port doesn't work, though the front one does.
Repo Man11

Postby TheAbandonwareGuy » 2018-6-14 @ 08:40

CelGen wrote:Another strange BCM brand device with a "Whizpro" BIOS has surfaced in the trash.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ ... S_8033.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ ... S_8034.jpg

The previous one a socket 370 board that was older than this one) I nailed together that BCM, Whizpro and Gtech are all something to do with lottery machines or kiosks. That LCD screen touts an ELO touchscreen on an internal serial port and there is a barcode reader on the underside. In fact the BIOS reports there are no less than six serial ports present in the machine. It all hangs off a rather heavy duty mount of some sort. Has all the usual I/O fixings and peripheral interfaces and the riser card for PCI has solder pads for one ISA slot. There's also oddly a Mini-PCI slot on the motherboard. :confused:

The BIOS like the other one is locked and a battery pull does not clear it. Likewise the manual for the motherboard does not appear to be available online so no idea where the CMOS clear jumper might be. :(

Well that's an abomination if I ever have seen one. All jokes aside it looks like it was probably a testing board for testing laptop stuff on a real mobile chipset.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuFY6Z ... 2tV8b00x_A
1996|P200MMX|64MB EDO|Virge DX 4MB|SB16 OPL3
1999|P3 933|384MB SDR|GF2 Ultra 64MB|CT4620
TheAbandonwareGuy
Oldbie

Postby xjas » 2018-6-16 @ 20:33

Scored this cute Zenith VGA green-screen a couple weeks ago. Apparently it was part of the equipment used to run a large astronomical telescope that was being upgraded. That probably saved it from screen burn as it would've been flicked off when not in use. Seems to max out at 480 lines @ 60Hz, true oldschool VGA.

I can't find a model number on it anywhere; would love to know what it originally came with. Here it is next to my biggest (PC) CRT, for comparison:
zenith2.jpg
zenith1.jpg

Hope my choice of on-screen graphics is suitable. :P Incidentally it was being driven by a PowerMac G5 in the photo, possibly the most powerful thing it's ever been connected to. Navigating OS/X in 640x480 is painful.
selected (probably) unfinished build threads { In a Lunchbox / Has It All / Hot Damn! / IT IS THE NINETIES / 20 Years of Junk }
xjas
Oldbie

Previous

Return to General Old Hardware