VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 28380 of 52737, by assasincz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CelGen wrote:

Nothing too special. Mismatched Voodoo II pair, two S3 805-based VLB video cards, two 3C509B network cards, a VLB I/O card with IDE controller, Awe32/SB32 and an AWE64 Gold sound card.

I am so somewhat interested in functionality of that CT3670 AWE32 card... 😦

Reply 28381 of 52737, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rikukos wrote:
Deksor wrote:

So you have to take out the ppro already present.

luckybob wrote:

Short answer, you need matching processors like previously mentioned.

Thank you both. This is how I thought it would be but wasn't 100% sure. Yeah, regarding actual dual processor support within the OS side then it would be NT.

NT would ofc be period correct.
But Win2k runs like a dream on my ppro systems, no duallies tho /jealous

Reply 28382 of 52737, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Salient wrote:

Bought a Tulip 486dx2/66 computer on 'marktplaats'. It's in fully working order, except that the batteries (or what's left of it) inside are probably the ones from 1997 still. Have to replace them and the battery holder since it disintegrated a decade ago already I guess..

<snip>

Now to decide which soundcard I'm gonna install....

Looks nice!

1982 to 2001

Reply 28383 of 52737, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retropol wrote:

got this, anything below is unique, special or of high quality ?

That ESS card should work and sound pretty much exactly as a SB Pro 2.0 with the added bonus of a wavetable header so it is a great card for 386/486 builds. The ET4000 is a much coveted card for ISA 386/486 systems. Neither is super rare but both are very nice to have. Enjoy.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 28384 of 52737, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

And this.. Another boxed Aria 16 card.. woohoo! Seller pics.

Nice find so complete. I've never seen one.

Same! Real nice!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 28385 of 52737, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

rikukos Great machine!

By the way, DOS, and windows 9x would be a waste for such machine (especially with the ppro installed because the ppro isn't really good at 16 bit code). However, if you're happy with a single pentium II overdrive, windows 9x is ok.

I would just clarify that the whole "PPro sucks at 16 bit code" idea comes from the fact that back in 1995-1996 it didn't give much of a performance boost in DOS games compared to regular Pentiums — especially when you consider how expensive Socket 8 was. But it's still more than most DOS games would ever need.

Besides, aren't most late DOS games 32-bit thanks to extenders like DOS4GW? I mean, PPro also had issues with video performance in DOS (fixable by fastvid), so that could actually be the main culprit with games.

Last edited by jheronimus on 2019-04-26, 06:33. Edited 2 times in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 28386 of 52737, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:
havli wrote:
Nice stuff has arrived today. :) […]
Show full quote

Nice stuff has arrived today. 😀

Intel TC430HX + P166 MMX + 64MB EDO
430hx_16duth.jpg

I have that exact motherboard in the other room. The heatsink beside the cpu socket gets -VERY- hot when running. And I mean instantly burn your fingers if you touch it hot after it's been on for a few hours. I eventually mounted a fan on mine. But sadly mine has died of a onboard hard drive and floppy controller failure, and add-on cards don't seem to do much for it to get it working again.

so i guess the TC430HX is unreliable. with finicky IDE/Floppy controllers and overheating voltage regulators. i guess your TC430HX was well passed its MTBF, (84,538 Hours) so it has lived its whole lifetime. sorry to see it go.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 28387 of 52737, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Very nice!

Could you check to see if your disks match the ones I posted about here? Prometheus ARIA16 Sound Card

I couldn't get things to work properly with those disks on my card, and I'm wondering if the disks I found are actually for a different version of the Aria 16.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 28388 of 52737, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Very nice! […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:

Very nice!

Could you check to see if your disks match the ones I posted about here? Prometheus ARIA16 Sound Card

I couldn't get things to work properly with those disks on my card, and I'm wondering if the disks I found are actually for a different version of the Aria 16.

The install disks that came with this card are 1.55. There are two main install disks instead of one.
Other disks:
Animotion Music Rack
Wired for Sound Sampler
HSC Interactive Special Edition (2 disks)
HSC Interactive Special Edition Demo
Midisoft Recording Session Version 1.11
Star Trek : 25th Anniversary - 3 Episode Edition with Speech Recognition 😲

I don't even have the Midisoft Music Magic disk.

I do have another ARIA 16 card that is still shrink-wrapped. It is the Maestro 16 VR.
I am waiting to open it until I can do an unboxing video.

As for other drivers, I'll upload everything I have to my google drive and post a link - here it is. This is pretty much everything that is available online from the extensive searching I did.
I haven't sorted it though.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dCzwHGrLefj … IfSVE6UPvidV1ta

I also have not imaged the disks that came with my ARIA 16 SE yet. I'll do that when I get a chance.. maybe this weekend if I get caught up with all the other stuff I have to do.

I did actually also pay for an image of that disk that you linked to on the other post. George Sanger has already given me permission to distribute it, but I need to get official permission from the Univeristy of Texas.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 28389 of 52737, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got these things a few days ago :
2019aprilHaul.jpg
*VooDoo2 12MB
*VooDoo Banshee 16MB
*GeForce2 200 32MB
*3x GeForce3Ti 200 64MB (Elsa, Creative and other unidentified brand)
*FX5200 64MB
*Radeon 9550 256MB
*Crystal ISA sound card
*Audigy 1
*VIA envy24 based sound card
*bunch of 10 and 100MBit LAN cards, some firewire cards and ton of misc stuff

Two of the GF3 cards needed fixes (knocked off passives on bottom side) and the fan I added myself to the Banshee since the heatsink got burning hot... S3 card now has a BIOS too.

I only really cared about the VooDoo2 card, rest are kind of bonus 🤣

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 28390 of 52737, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote:

I love the pizza box PCs... How does it look inside (beside the battery pack)?

Since the battery pack is separate from all the rest, the mainboard, PSU harddisk and floppydrive are in very good shape. It's all a bit dusty but when I find the time to change the battery pack I'll clean up everything. I am also glad that the plastic front of the case didn't suffer from yellowing too much so all in all it's a pretty decent computer.
Once it's done I'll make some pics from the inside.

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 28391 of 52737, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good thing the battery compartment is far away from the motherboard and I'm glad the system works.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 28392 of 52737, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i really liked the zalman engineering 😀 radeon 9800pro + zalman zm80c-hp + op1 (from 2003)

Attachments

• 20190425_212122.jpg
    Filename
    20190425_212122.jpg
    File size
    1.3 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 28393 of 52737, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:

I would just clarify that the whole "PPro sucks at 16 bit code" idea comes from the fact that back in 1995-1996 it didn't give much of a performance boost in DOS games compared to regular Pentiums — especially when you consider how expensive Socket 8 was. But it's still more than most DOS games would ever need.

Besides, aren't most late DOS games 32-bit thanks to extenders like DOS4GW? I mean, PPro also had issues with video performance in DOS (fixable by fastvid), so that could actually be the main culprit with games.

Maybe ... But what about windows 9x then ? I've also heared that pentium IIs fixed that issue with 16 bit code, is it the truth or a fad ?
Some tests should be made I think.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 28394 of 52737, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some quick test I've done between PPro 200MHz 1MB cache and socket 8 Overdrive P-II 333MHz.

DOOM:
PPro... 1070 realtics
P-II... 931 realtics

CPUmark32:
PPro... 23
P-II... 27.3

But these are all 32-bit programs 😲

I don't think I used FastVid on any test. Might redo tests on this behalf 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 28395 of 52737, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:
Some quick test I've done between PPro 200MHz 1MB cache and socket 8 Overdrive P-II 333MHz. […]
Show full quote

Some quick test I've done between PPro 200MHz 1MB cache and socket 8 Overdrive P-II 333MHz.

DOOM:
PPro... 1070 realtics
P-II... 931 realtics

CPUmark32:
PPro... 23
P-II... 27.3

But these are all 32-bit programs 😲

I don't think I used FastVid on any test. Might redo tests on this behalf 🤣

Just curious kixs, did you run the OD 333 on the FIC PN-6210 motherboard by any chance? I've heard it wont run on that board and I have no way to test it since I don't have that CPU.

Reply 28396 of 52737, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote:
I got these things a few days ago : *VooDoo2 12MB *VooDoo Banshee 16MB *GeForce2 200 32MB *3x GeForce3Ti 200 64MB (Elsa, Creativ […]
Show full quote

I got these things a few days ago :
*VooDoo2 12MB
*VooDoo Banshee 16MB
*GeForce2 200 32MB
*3x GeForce3Ti 200 64MB (Elsa, Creative and other unidentified brand)
*FX5200 64MB
*Radeon 9550 256MB
*Crystal ISA sound card
*Audigy 1
*VIA envy24 based sound card
*bunch of 10 and 100MBit LAN cards, some firewire cards and ton of misc stuff

Two of the GF3 cards needed fixes (knocked off passives on bottom side) and the fan I added myself to the Banshee since the heatsink got burning hot... S3 card now has a BIOS too.

I only really cared about the VooDoo2 card, rest are kind of bonus 🤣

Those GF3 Ti200 and Voodoo Banshee are not bad either 😊

Reply 28397 of 52737, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rikukos wrote:
Have not posted anything for a short while but have gradually been collecting this junk (we all so love) regardless. One of the […]
Show full quote

Have not posted anything for a short while but have gradually been collecting this junk (we all so love) regardless. One of the more recent purchases is this NOS IBM PC 365.

This is one of the "Ready to Configure" models IBM shipped w/o hard disk/CD-ROM and was targeted towards system builders. Box is/was sealed with IBM tapes which I, in this particular case, were willing to brake.

Together with IBM I also got some additional extras I plan to test it with (later on):

It would be all SCSI in this one (just for the fun of it!)

I like the way old IBMs look, specifically the PS/2 line - but this isn't that bad either, and build quality is just superb. Manufacturing year stamped to the case is 1996.

All looks pristine (as it should for a NOS machine). Has dual processor support and it came with a S3 Trio 64V+ graphics adapter installed in a PCI slot (which I believe is highly compatible but not exactly what you would call a top performer). Swapped out the coin battery just in case and the computer boots without issues. Updated to latest bios I found, no problems so far.

Couple of questions for the future as I know there are many Pentium Pro lovers here:

-Should the Overdrive chip be installed in a second processor socket and leave the original CPU in place? Or should I just swap it with an existing CPU?
-Which graphics card you would pair this with? If we think we would leave out early DOS games and may be target something like Quake, System Shock etc. and early Windows games, of course.
-Anyone tried this specific Overdrive chip with SetMul or other cache manipulating programs?

Jealous AF here 😊 When does my luck come?

Maybe a Rendition Verite card would be nice for this puppy. It's an unusual system anyway.

Reply 28398 of 52737, by respect2759

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got two of them without adapters. Exchanged for two DDR2 Dual core notebooks without HDD and adapter

Attachments

• 95926016.jpg
    Filename
    95926016.jpg
    File size
    104.7 KiB
    Views
    File license

Soyo 019R1 AM386DX 40MHz, 8Mb ram, 512Kb Trident 9000 Graphics
S26361-D756-X Intel i486DX 33MHz, 4Mb ram, 512Kb - 1Mb graphics on board

Reply 28399 of 52737, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another findings in my other box 😀 Anything interesting here?

Attachments

• IMG_2626.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2626.JPG
    File size
    1.75 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_2624.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2624.JPG