VOGONS


Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 31100 of 36211, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

Everyone in this hobby should own an older ThinkPad at some point. Even if it is a late IBM one with Pentium M. New laptops don't even come close to what these were.

Just picked up and old one.
755CD with 486dx4-100 CPU.

I will try to restore it.
I have another one laying around so hopefully I can assemble a working one from these two.

Attachments

Reply 31101 of 36211, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ooh, 755CD - that brings back memories. Took notes in class with one of those around 1999-ish. I was the first student to use a laptop in class (history major in a provincial university, not the most high-tech environment), it raised quite a few eyebrows, particularly as I decided that torturing myself and that DX4 with Win98 wasn't a great idea, so I just ran DOS on it and took notes in EDIT.COM. When the lectures were so bad it wasn't worth taking notes I fired up Colonization 😉

Reply 31102 of 36211, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

Everyone in this hobby should own an older ThinkPad at some point. Even if it is a late IBM one with Pentium M. New laptops don't even come close to what these were.

Well, ThinkPads aren't bad in general, but I can't stand the trackpoint 😜

Reply 31103 of 36211, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
bjwil1991 wrote:

I have a ThinkPad 380D, R40, and T42.

How does the audio sound for DOS games on the 380D? I notice it has a CS4236 in it. There's a 380D locally that I could grab (looks in good shape, and from the photos I'm pretty sure it has a TFT display), but I've been hesitant on it because I have a 600X and T20 both with a CS4624 and the sound in DOS games is passable on it for the most part, but not stellar (in particular, the volume on FM output is always really low).

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 31104 of 36211, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

LGR just posted a video on the Monorail PC, which, from what I can tell, looks like very similar specs to the IBM 380/385 line, right down to the 10.4" DSTN screen, 2.1GB hard drive, and even it looks like the same sound chip (he says it is a Crystal audio chipset, I'm assuming it is likely the same one given the era).

Reply 31105 of 36211, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gered wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

I have a ThinkPad 380D, R40, and T42.

How does the audio sound for DOS games on the 380D? I notice it has a CS4236 in it. There's a 380D locally that I could grab (looks in good shape, and from the photos I'm pretty sure it has a TFT display), but I've been hesitant on it because I have a 600X and T20 both with a CS4624 and the sound in DOS games is passable on it for the most part, but not stellar (in particular, the volume on FM output is always really low).

It’s mainly a collectors item. IBM website offers good driver support in DOS and Windows but
The hardware is old an was never really very good. The TFT display is old and known to go bad.
Finding a replacement is not easy.
The plastics are old and brittle. The BIOS is propriety and limited for ram and hard-drive size.
IBM propriety hardware.
I used a small Bluetooth speaker with mine and a wire connector.
The built in speakers are NOT great.
These notebooks where never meant to be for gaming. They where mainly MS-Windows workstation replacement.
For Ms-Office and apps.

If you want a nice laptop for gaming look at a MacBook G4 or IBM Thinkpad 15” with nicer display.
The IBM’s thinkpads provide the best driver support.

Commercial
https://youtu.be/XIJWfXfGI4o

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-11-09, 01:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 31106 of 36211, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

🤣.

I asked for his thoughts on what that particular Crystal Audio chip in the 380D sounds like, not for general advice on buying retro laptops.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 31107 of 36211, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 380D with CS4236, and the sound in DOS is good. Definitely much better than on my 755CX with mwave. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 31109 of 36211, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Gered wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

I have a ThinkPad 380D, R40, and T42.

How does the audio sound for DOS games on the 380D? I notice it has a CS4236 in it. There's a 380D locally that I could grab (looks in good shape, and from the photos I'm pretty sure it has a TFT display), but I've been hesitant on it because I have a 600X and T20 both with a CS4624 and the sound in DOS games is passable on it for the most part, but not stellar (in particular, the volume on FM output is always really low).

Probably slightly improved or very similar to the CS4235 (PhilsComputerLab has a review on one) - of course, whether the audio quality meets your expectation would depend on its circuit design and how well those 22+ year old machines held up over the years.

As for the CS4624? I have a T21 and don't see anything egregiously bad about its FM output - it would sometimes work better on Adlib mode, though. You could always disable onboard audio and use a docking station with a PCI sound card.

Reply 31110 of 36211, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:
Nice XT board...where do they all come from at the moment..? Re: What retro activity did you get up to today? Re: XT BIOS image […]
Show full quote
wiretap wrote:
Purchases of the day (seller photos): - Dec (Philips) 8088 motherboard (don't know if working) https://imgur.com/Q4EQh1Ch.jpg […]
Show full quote

Purchases of the day (seller photos):

- Dec (Philips) 8088 motherboard (don't know if working)
Q4EQh1Ch.jpg

Nice XT board...where do they all come from at the moment..?
Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?
Re: XT BIOS image collection

Try to get it running!

In the mean time I have 2 of mine repaired and can say that these boards are great. I equipped with a ET4000, CT1350B and CF-card with XT-IDE and its really fun. The onboard-floppy is usable, but not the IDE-port. Playing Commander Keen in 10 MHz mode is very smooth and close to a 12MHz 286!

Good to know- Turbo-Mode:
Ctrl-Alt-DEL: Boot 10 MHz
Ctrl-Alt-INS: Boot 4,77 MHz
ALT-Shift-Shift: Switch Speed

Got around to testing the Philips board. Mine boots up as-is when I put in the ATI VGA Wonder-16 connected to VGA. No issues encountered. I do have to replace the keyboard port (which is just a pin-header right now) -- so I ordered a 5-pin DIN connector to solder on. This motherboard should fit nicely in a MATX case. I think I'll move it up to nix one of the ISA slots, and use the one with a XT-CF/XT-IDE that doesn't need a PCI slot on the rear of the case.

Looks like it came out of a Headstart LX-CD. https://www.nytimes.com/1989/11/28/science/pe … common-man.html
w2pdma2h.jpg

Circuit Board Repair Manuals
Turbo Display Project
Dual Socket 8 Project

Reply 31111 of 36211, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

Ooh, 755CD - that brings back memories. Took notes in class with one of those around 1999-ish. I was the first student to use a laptop in class (history major in a provincial university, not the most high-tech environment), it raised quite a few eyebrows, particularly as I decided that torturing myself and that DX4 with Win98 wasn't a great idea, so I just ran DOS on it and took notes in EDIT.COM. When the lectures were so bad it wasn't worth taking notes I fired up Colonization 😉

I can do you one better. In 2000 I took lecture notes on a *monochrome* TP750...with prehistoric WIFI. I can't remember if it supported 802.11B or not...maybe just 802.11A. Surprisingly my uni did have WIFI at that time. Strangely, like you, I was the only person taking notes on a laptop, despite it being an engineering school.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 31112 of 36211, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote:
Predator99 wrote:
Nice XT board...where do they all come from at the moment..? Re: What retro activity did you get up to today? Re: XT BIOS image […]
Show full quote
wiretap wrote:

Purchases of the day (seller photos):

- Dec (Philips) 8088 motherboard (don't know if working)

Nice XT board...where do they all come from at the moment..?
Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?
Re: XT BIOS image collection

Try to get it running!

In the mean time I have 2 of mine repaired and can say that these boards are great. I equipped with a ET4000, CT1350B and CF-card with XT-IDE and its really fun. The onboard-floppy is usable, but not the IDE-port. Playing Commander Keen in 10 MHz mode is very smooth and close to a 12MHz 286!

Good to know- Turbo-Mode:
Ctrl-Alt-DEL: Boot 10 MHz
Ctrl-Alt-INS: Boot 4,77 MHz
ALT-Shift-Shift: Switch Speed

Got around to testing the Philips board. Mine boots up as-is when I put in the ATI VGA Wonder-16 connected to VGA. No issues encountered. I do have to replace the keyboard port (which is just a pin-header right now) -- so I ordered a 5-pin DIN connector to solder on. This motherboard should fit nicely in a MATX case. I think I'll move it up to nix one of the ISA slots, and use the one with a XT-CF/XT-IDE that doesn't need a PCI slot on the rear of the case.

Looks like it came out of a Headstart LX-CD. https://www.nytimes.com/1989/11/28/science/pe … common-man.html

Cool, congratualtions! Can you dump your BIOS please? I looks quite different than the Philips one. Thank you!

Reply 31113 of 36211, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
ragefury32 wrote:

Probably slightly improved or very similar to the CS4235 (PhilsComputerLab has a review on one) - of course, whether the audio quality meets your expectation would depend on its circuit design and how well those 22+ year old machines held up over the years.

As for the CS4624? I have a T21 and don't see anything egregiously bad about its FM output - it would sometimes work better on Adlib mode, though. You could always disable onboard audio and use a docking station with a PCI sound card.

Yeah you're absolutely right that there are many cases where the CS4624 sounds fine. As you say, selecting Adlib when possible generally helps, but doesn't fix everything. Doom E1M1 comes to mind. But it's definitely not the end of the world. 😀

stamasd wrote:

I have a 380D with CS4236, and the sound in DOS is good. Definitely much better than on my 755CX with mwave. 😀

Haha, the MWave is a really low bar, but that is good to hear!

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 31114 of 36211, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Regarding the 380/385 Thinkpads...

Intel486dx33 wrote:

...The BIOS is propriety and limited for ram and hard-drive size...

Do you happen to know what the hard drive size limit is? I picked up a watch battery from Wally World yesterday (not exactly the correct CR size, the battery was a hare thinner but still worked fine), and the error went away and Windows 98 fired right up. But I'd like to replace this super noisy hard drive with an IDE solid state drive as I have a whole pile of 2.5" laptop-sized 32GB drives.

Reply 31115 of 36211, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
wiretap wrote:

InterAct PC Gamepad 6 ($8 shipped)

I have the pro-pad blue version of this controller:

vtg-interact-propad-game-controller-pc-see-thru.jpg

By far the most "comfortable" to use retro gaming controller I've ever used. InterAct was always known for low quality stuff but this particular controller is pretty good.

Reply 31116 of 36211, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I saw an auction yesterday with some "PC parts", containing (amongst some rather boring optical drives, power supplies, floppy drives, PCI USB interface cards etc.) a pile of VGA cards:

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
119.21 KiB
Views
189 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Asked the seller for details and he sent this picture:

s-l1600-6.jpg
Filename
s-l1600-6.jpg
File size
252.82 KiB
Views
189 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

ATI Rage Fury MAXX 😲

The auction started just below 20€, but the seller had "Best Offer" enabled, so I offered 30€ and got accepted immediately. 😲 😎

Other interesting things in the lot:
- Nvidia Riva 128 ZX AGP
- Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro PCI
- Some mystery AGP card, might be Savage3 or something (not the Rage 128 in the photo, obviously)
- NOS Revoltec Geforce 4 cooler
- internal Iomega Zip Drive

Now I just really, really hope that everything is still working.

Last edited by gex85 on 2019-11-09, 16:29. Edited 1 time in total.

1992 - i486DX2-66 // 1997 - P1-233 MMX // 1998 - P2-350 // 2000 - P3-650 // 2001 - Athlon 1400 // 2003 - Athlon XP 3200+ // 2008 - Xeon E5450 // 2015 - Xeon E3-1240v5

Reply 31117 of 36211, by imi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wow, that's a lucky find 😁

gex85 wrote:

- Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro PCI

I had this card in my pentium MMX, but I haven't ever found it for a reasonable price, agp versions are plenty out there but not PCI ^^

Reply 31118 of 36211, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this 486DX-50 EISA motherboard on eBay.

I am not quite sure what the second socket is for as it appears to be smaller than 486/487 and a bit bigger than 386. Looks like it could be for Weitek 4167. I can't wait to have a system with 2xFPUs..

Seller's picture;

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
619.06 KiB
Views
171 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Blog||486DX-50|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 31119 of 36211, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:
dionb wrote:

Ooh, 755CD - that brings back memories. Took notes in class with one of those around 1999-ish. I was the first student to use a laptop in class (history major in a provincial university, not the most high-tech environment), it raised quite a few eyebrows, particularly as I decided that torturing myself and that DX4 with Win98 wasn't a great idea, so I just ran DOS on it and took notes in EDIT.COM. When the lectures were so bad it wasn't worth taking notes I fired up Colonization 😉

I can do you one better. In 2000 I took lecture notes on a *monochrome* TP750...with prehistoric WIFI. I can't remember if it supported 802.11B or not...maybe just 802.11A. Surprisingly my uni did have WIFI at that time. Strangely, like you, I was the only person taking notes on a laptop, despite it being an engineering school.

What?...
In 2000 I was using an IBM T43 with Win-2000 at work.
The IBM 380/755 was an old computer to be using near 2000
I think I had a Sony Vaio 14” 500-P3 in 1998.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-11-09, 17:17. Edited 1 time in total.