VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 40600 of 52357, by subnet_zero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LewisRaz wrote on 2021-09-28, 13:12:
Got a best offer accepted on a PCI card which had untested in the title and about 4 times in the description. […]
Show full quote

Got a best offer accepted on a PCI card which had untested in the title and about 4 times in the description.

Did look like the seller was not into buying/selling this kind of stuff so decided it was worth the risk for the lower price paid.

And it was! 😀

Nice to hear that relay click sound that I have seen posted about on this forum.

That thing is a beauty.💖 I had one back in the days and gave it away beginning of 2006. I bought another one last year for my P2 233MHz machine. ✌

Reply 40601 of 52357, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
subnet_zero wrote on 2021-09-28, 14:22:
LewisRaz wrote on 2021-09-28, 13:12:
Got a best offer accepted on a PCI card which had untested in the title and about 4 times in the description. […]
Show full quote

Got a best offer accepted on a PCI card which had untested in the title and about 4 times in the description.

Did look like the seller was not into buying/selling this kind of stuff so decided it was worth the risk for the lower price paid.

And it was! 😀

Nice to hear that relay click sound that I have seen posted about on this forum.

That thing is a beauty.💖 I had one back in the days and gave it away beginning of 2006. I bought another one last year for my P2 233MHz machine. ✌

I am happy it works! I have now ordered a pass through cable as I was using one from a KVM that was 5ft long.. This will be a nice update to the P166mmx windows 95 build I did a while back 😀

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 40602 of 52357, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-09-28, 11:18:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-09-28, 11:03:

Internal 512 KiB memory expansion. Incredibly enough, battery hasn't leaked .. Yet - but in 10 minutes it will be gone from the board 😉

Took a bit longer, couldn't find a mains cord for my soldering station 🤣 but now, absolutely Varta-plague free 😁

But It's GP not Varta so you are safe. Even if they leak - they are not as corrosive and rarely the leak gets out of the battery terminals.

Also if battery didn't leaked in the last 20+ years - don't really expect it to leak anymore, so there's absolutely no hurry in getting rid of them...

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 40603 of 52357, by Blaasvis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, I just registered to the forum after using it for info for a long time.
I bought a weird 3DFX voodoo banshee. I can't find hardly any photo's or information on it. I am used to see 3D blasters and diamond cards. I used to build PC's as a side business while in college.

Biostar Group Venus 3D Banshee AGP it seems. Some info is available on https://fccid.io/I27MM-VF05A
Found it by googling the FCC ID.
Haven't had time to test it, but removed the heatsink and took some pictures. It was mention as a wanted card by some collector in 2013. http://falconfly.vogonswiki.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 … ?num=1367342377
No I am wondering what to do ? Should I make a scan to preserve it for future reference ? My thought as a game collector says yes, but I am not sure how to handle. Any thoughts ?

Attachments

Reply 40604 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Blaasvis wrote on 2021-09-28, 17:51:
Hi everyone, I just registered to the forum after using it for info for a long time. I bought a weird 3DFX voodoo banshee. I c […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone, I just registered to the forum after using it for info for a long time.
I bought a weird 3DFX voodoo banshee. I can't find hardly any photo's or information on it. I am used to see 3D blasters and diamond cards. I used to build PC's as a side business while in college.

Biostar Group Venus 3D Banshee AGP it seems. Some info is available on https://fccid.io/I27MM-VF05A
Found it by googling the FCC ID.
Haven't had time to test it, but removed the heatsink and took some pictures. It was mention as a wanted card by some collector in 2013. http://falconfly.vogonswiki.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 … ?num=1367342377
No I am wondering what to do ? Should I make a scan to preserve it for future reference ? My thought as a game collector says yes, but I am not sure how to handle. Any thoughts ?

I have an old tabloid sized CCD scanner. It is great for making scans / super high quality pics of hardware. Just have to spacer up the back end of the card so the card is parallel to the scanner bed and then have a box or something over top to block out all the ambient light. Flat black would be best.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 40605 of 52357, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seller photo.. won this ebay auction today. I really wanted an eMachine eMonster again, because I had one back in the day when they were brand new. (eMonster 550MHz) So, this is pretty darn close to that. Plus, it still has all the stickers and the factory seal on the back that hasn't been opened. Looks like it just needs the Pentium III sticker replaced, but I have a bunch of those on hand.

6bGe9YO.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 40607 of 52357, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seller messaged me and says it came from a smoker home, so it is pretty smelly. Nothing a little Freon TF can't take care of. 😁

My Github

Reply 40609 of 52357, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It isn't the nicotine (that's colorless/odorless), it is the reconstituted tobacco tar that sticks to the dust and surfaces. But I usually dust it out first, then spray Freon TF over everything and it takes the smell away in about 30 seconds.

My Github

Reply 40610 of 52357, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2021-09-28, 14:32:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-09-28, 11:18:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-09-28, 11:03:

Internal 512 KiB memory expansion. Incredibly enough, battery hasn't leaked .. Yet - but in 10 minutes it will be gone from the board 😉

Took a bit longer, couldn't find a mains cord for my soldering station 🤣 but now, absolutely Varta-plague free 😁

But It's GP not Varta so you are safe. Even if they leak - they are not as corrosive and rarely the leak gets out of the battery terminals.

Also if battery didn't leaked in the last 20+ years - don't really expect it to leak anymore, so there's absolutely no hurry in getting rid of them...

It had a bit of corrosion on the battery itself. And better safe than sorry 😀 I was under the impression that all batteries were equally corrosive and leaking, but since Varta was the most seen brand, it had the "honor" of giving name to the problem ..?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 40611 of 52357, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2021-09-28, 20:45:

It isn't the nicotine (that's colorless/odorless), it is the reconstituted tobacco tar that sticks to the dust and surfaces. But I usually dust it out first, then spray Freon TF over everything and it takes the smell away in about 30 seconds.

Sorry for OT, but, do you know of a good way of getting rid of magic smoke smell?
I today burnt a Quadro graphics card and the smell is still hanging in the computer.
If there is something other than CFC that can help getting rid of the smell, I'd be glad...

Reply 40612 of 52357, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't know, I have only used Freon TF successfully. I've tried tons of other products without luck. Maybe oxyclean or smoke-away products, but those may harm computer components if not removed quickly.

My Github

Reply 40614 of 52357, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's pretty epic. Made for cleaning circuit boards. Makes them look and smell factory new in less than a minute 🤣. (also non-hazardous to your health)

My Github

Reply 40615 of 52357, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304111359642?ViewIte … em=304111359642
Just bought this. I hope it works or that I can make it work, because shipping was a lot...
I have been regretting selling an IBM AT with an 5154 EGA screen a couple of years ago. So i have gotten a 5162 XT 286 and hopefully now a screen to go nicely with it to dampen the itch 😁
I might paint it industrial grayish, thoughts?

Edit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363489314862
I also got this in the hope of it working in an 5162. I did not find any documentation on it tough.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    106.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 40616 of 52357, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2021-09-28, 21:23:

It's pretty epic. Made for cleaning circuit boards. Makes them look and smell factory new in less than a minute 🤣. (also non-hazardous to your health)

How about ozone layer? 😀

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 40617 of 52357, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, yeet it up to the ozone layer, ozone gets rid of smells. 🤣

No really it does, shut it up with an ozone generator for a bit.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 40619 of 52357, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It repairs itself when we aren't actively destroying it.

The world came together to stop making cfc gasses.

We have the ability to act on CO2, but the "people" in control this world are busy with a dick measuring contest with rockets.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.