Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 40760 of 52701, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aublak wrote on 2021-10-13, 21:09:
$50 from ewaste. Probably a Mac 128k. IMG_20211013_161250.jpg IMG_20211013_161332.jpg IMG_20211013_150416.jpg I've never owned a […]
Show full quote

$50 from ewaste. Probably a Mac 128k.
IMG_20211013_161250.jpg
IMG_20211013_161332.jpg
IMG_20211013_150416.jpg
I've never owned a Apple product before, not even an iPhone. So this is new to me.
I wouldn't even know how to approach this, besides cleaning it. I've only dealt with IBM PC compatibles, so this is going to be very different for me.

These are all of the components that I acquired.
-Computer
-Keyboard
-Mouse
-Power cable
-Floppy drive reader

There was also a printer that may have belonged to it, but I didn't feel like taking it.

I love the look of those old Mac keyboards. I don’t have one but it looks Awesome.

Reply 40763 of 52701, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gca wrote on 2021-10-13, 23:01:

First thing I would do is crack that Mac open and make sure the half AA battery hasn't done anything unspeakable to the motherboard.

IMG_20211013_201023.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211013_201023.jpg
File size
1.49 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Yup, there's a really old Energizer in there. I don't know how old this battery is but it may give us a good idea when this Mac was last serviced. It leaked a little on one of the contacts but nothing to be concerned about. I cleaned it up nicely.

So this Mac doesn't have an HDD right? I need to run everything from a floppy disk? Right. Assuming I get it running, how do I even format the necessary disks? I don't have any other Apple hardware and I don't feel like dishing out a small fortune to buy the original disks on eBay.

Reply 40764 of 52701, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So this Mac doesn't have an HDD right? I need to run everything from a floppy disk? Right. Assuming I get it running, how do I even format the necessary disks? I don't have any other Apple hardware and I don't feel like dishing out a small fortune to buy the original disks on eBay.

HOO BOY. Are you in for a bit of a ride.

I recall you saying you have NO Apple stuff. You have 3 options.
1) Sell it and get something else nice
2) Buy disks as you need them from other people
3) Make your own disks.

#3 is going to be the most expensive option, however, it is the most rewarding IMHO. In a nutshell, you are going to need a tweener machine. Maybe 2. Without going completely into the weeds read more here: https://lowendmac.com/2016/floppy-disk-compat … -the-mac-world/

I have a mac G3 that I use to get PC files into a mac format. It also handles the stuffit (zip) files and I THEN transfer the files to a mac SE that can read and write 400k disks.

Its less than optimal, but I don't deal with Apple enough to streamline it.

So you are going to need to start from scratch,

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 40765 of 52701, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

4) Take the CRT out real careful and put a Betta fish tank in there 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 40766 of 52701, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-10-14, 02:41:

4) Take the CRT out real careful and put a Betta fish tank in there 🤣

No.-Bad-Opinion-Reaction-With-a-Spray-Bottle-To-The-Face.gif

I assume you are joking.

But a 128k is worth going out of your way to save. I wouldn't suggest you dump $1000 into one, but I'd understand if someone did. Mac Plus? I'm line is like $100.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 40767 of 52701, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote on 2021-10-14, 01:12:
HOO BOY. Are you in for a bit of a ride. […]
Show full quote

3) Make your own disks.

#3 is going to be the most expensive option, however, it is the most rewarding IMHO. In a nutshell, you are going to need a tweener machine. Maybe 2. Without going completely into the weeds read more here: https://lowendmac.com/2016/floppy-disk-compat … -the-mac-world/

I have a mac G3 that I use to get PC files into a mac format. It also handles the stuffit (zip) files and I THEN transfer the files to a mac SE that can read and write 400k disks.

There was an Apple IIvx back at the ewaste site. I was thinking of grabbing it too. There seemed to be a bunch of matching accessories for it too; monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.
Would that be a good tween machine?

Attachments

Reply 40768 of 52701, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought another Toshiba 2805 witha geforce2 go and yamaha 754 sound. Have no idea what I am going to do with 2 of them. Maybe I'll fix it up and give it away to another vogons user. No bullshit I actually may do this. Free shipping and some wierd discount. What a deal. Seems like I only get lucky when the listings are wrong, and I am clever enough to decipher what it really is by looking at the pictures.

I also got a heatsink for my ppro build.

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Filename
    Clipboard02.jpg
    File size
    62.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Clipboard03.jpg
    Filename
    Clipboard03.jpg
    File size
    92.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 40769 of 52701, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this beauty yesterday. Having tested it out, it has an incredible crisp image for an analogue connected VGA monitor.

Anybody wanna take a guess about what it's purpose is going to be? 😁

Attachments

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 40770 of 52701, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No idea it's but its 1280 x 1024 . I have a similar samsung syncmaster but the one I have also has a TV tuner and composite inputs of all things. The scalling to 480 isn't to terrible I hooked up a Vsmile game console to it for the niece and nephew to play on. Idk if its the scaling or just the console but I have noticed some verticle tearing when scaled to 480.

Reply 40771 of 52701, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hooking up an RGBI computer or console to it?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 40772 of 52701, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aublak wrote on 2021-10-14, 04:43:
luckybob wrote on 2021-10-14, 01:12:
HOO BOY. Are you in for a bit of a ride. […]
Show full quote

3) Make your own disks.

There was an Apple IIvx back at the ewaste site. I was thinking of grabbing it too. There seemed to be a bunch of matching accessories for it too; monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.
Would that be a good tween machine?

that's worth it for the caddy drive alone :p

Reply 40773 of 52701, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a CF to IDE adapter yesterday for my Socket A Athlon Win98SE machine. I'm not sure exactly what CF card to get. Any suggestions?

I've been looking at this one:
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-SDCFXS … y/dp/B00NUB2Q9E

Reply 40774 of 52701, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2021-10-14, 15:09:

Bought a CF to IDE adapter yesterday for my Socket A Athlon Win98SE machine. I'm not sure exactly what CF card to get. Any suggestions?

There are many threads on here and all over the internet warning about how some CFs especially newer do not behave properly like IDE, and have ide turned off somehow and neutered and can't be restored. You might still be able to use them in some cases but could have problems. Just be aware of that.

Reply 40775 of 52701, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I managed to buy 10 slotket adapters from socket 370 to slot 1 for the price of one. Not that I need so many, but they were sold in bulk and there was no option to buy just one or two.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 40776 of 52701, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-10-14, 16:11:
retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2021-10-14, 15:09:

There are many threads on here and all over the internet warning about how some CFs especially newer do not behave properly like IDE, and have ide turned off somehow and neutered and can't be restored. You might still be able to use them in some cases but could have problems. Just be aware of that.

One person reported that the card I linked worked in their laptop and could run Lubuntu off of it. I assume then it would be safe to use in a retro PC or am i wrong?

Reply 40777 of 52701, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got four quality 4Mx36 60ns FPM RAM modules (eg 16MB with parity each) for my ongoing Am5x86-PR75 build.

They are nice in several regards.
First, they are from DEC, a big name in computer history, who is rather famous for things other than ordinary RAM modules.
But I am quite confident that these modules are premium quality, as the Siemens and Mitsubishi RAMs are non-cheapo premium brands.

Second, they are "double sided". But actually, and this matters, they are single banked, what most people call "single sided".
According to my mobo's manual they should be incompatible because of being "double sided"... 🤣

But they show signs of severe physical abuse.
I feel sad imagining how brutally a fine Alpha workstation must have been gutted ... 😿

Attachments

• DSCN9026.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN9026.JPG
    File size
    1.2 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • DSCN9025.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN9025.JPG
    File size
    939.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • DSCN9024.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN9024.JPG
    File size
    1.05 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • DSCN9023.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN9023.JPG
    File size
    1.59 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 40778 of 52701, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2021-10-14, 06:08:

Hooking up an RGBI computer or console to it?

Yes, Amiga 500 😀

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 40779 of 52701, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2021-10-14, 05:57:

No idea it's but its 1280 x 1024 . I have a similar samsung syncmaster but the one I have also has a TV tuner and composite inputs of all things. The scalling to 480 isn't to terrible I hooked up a Vsmile game console to it for the niece and nephew to play on. Idk if its the scaling or just the console but I have noticed some verticle tearing when scaled to 480.

Supposedly this model should be 15 kHz capable, ie Amiga 500 ready 😀