User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2021-11-04, 13:04:
vmr_ wrote on 2021-11-04, 12:58:

Arguably the best SS7 motherboard

without ISA slot? ....arguable indeed 😁

Heh, as one of the late SS7 mobos, guess ISA slots were seen obsolete already

Which brings the question: anyone knows which was the last SS7 mainboard launched?

Retro builds & sandbox
IBM XT 5160 | 286 | 386 | 486 | S4 SI5PI AIO & S4 Batman + P60 SX828
S8 & PPro 200 | SS7 FW 5VGF & Asus P5A & AOpen AX59PRO K6-III+ 550MHz
Asus K7M Athlon 1Ghz GDF | Abit SH6 Pentium III 1GHz SL4KL...

Reply 41001 of 52352, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SVD wrote on 2021-10-26, 17:26:
Sure its not the end of the world, but I hate playing around with jumpers that i dont know what does. x) None of those card are […]
Show full quote
HanJammer wrote on 2021-10-25, 22:13:
Nice card, but with just 2 or 3 jumpers I don't think the settings sheet is really necessary :D My guess is it will be fairly si […]
Show full quote
SVD wrote on 2021-10-25, 19:23:

I bought this RAM card for my IBM 5162, since this can actually fit in the case... Anyone know what board it is? Would be nice with jumper settings 😁

Nice card, but with just 2 or 3 jumpers I don't think the settings sheet is really necessary 😁
My guess is it will be fairly similar to this one: https://www.arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/i/A-B/55355.htm
Perhaps it's some OEM version of BOCARAM made by Boca Research - certainly looks like their cards (eg. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintag … mory-1857704560 or https://wiki.preterhuman.net/BOCARAM/AT ) and has their chip but doesn't have BOCARAM logo. Doesn't it have FCC ID printed somewhere? On the back maybe?

PS: J1 and J2 should be the same and J3 sets how much memory is installed.

PPS: Some files for BOCARAM cards: http://ps-2.kev009.com/bocaresearch/Drivers&S … d/File_area_20/ - even if it's not exactly any of their retail models it may still work as it uses the same chip as their BOCARAM AT PLUS...

Sure its not the end of the world, but I hate playing around with jumpers that i dont know what does. x)
None of those card are the same tough, maybe related of course. For the back I have to wait until I get the card unfortunatly. I hope there is an ID on the back. Along with the jumper settings :p

BTW on an unrelated note. This brute is on its way from Germany. It got the Q-complex, 66mhz original pentium (socket 4). I also have a Y-complex on the way from GB so it will be interesting to see if i can get it up and running 😁

In love with this beast!

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Reply 41002 of 52352, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pixelatedscraps wrote on 2021-10-30, 16:03:

ATI Rage Fury Maxx. Now to find a stable driver release for both Win98 and 2000.

Fury Maxx'es are better suited for Win98. On Win2k you will be wasting one chip in the board, as Win2000 implementation of the AGP specification allows only one chip/device in the AGP bus.
TL;DR Use Win98 for it. Don't waste your time with Win2k on this one.

Reply 41003 of 52352, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vmr_ wrote on 2021-11-04, 13:10:
imi wrote on 2021-11-04, 13:04:
vmr_ wrote on 2021-11-04, 12:58:

Arguably the best SS7 motherboard

without ISA slot? ....arguable indeed 😁

Heh, as one of the late SS7 mobos, guess ISA slots were seen obsolete already

Which brings the question: anyone knows which was the last SS7 mainboard launched?

It was in Intels PoC-99 spec I think, there shalt be no legacy.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 41004 of 52352, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Munx wrote on 2021-11-04, 09:12:
WJG6260 wrote on 2021-11-03, 22:28:
  • it dates to 2/10/95, so it's apparently a very late VLB-only chipset

The chipset looks like it was made in 1999 (week 44), so it is VERY late
2021-11-04_11-07.png

from what I can tell the company was making the boards for a while, up past Y2K. industrial product cycles are much longer than consumer ones; it's still possible to buy brand new 386/486 single board computers to this day, though nowadays they're AMD geode or other FPGA based.

Reply 41006 of 52352, by MN_Moody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Picked up 6 of these 5x86c / 3v3100GF processors, all scrap bin saves that involved straightening a lot of pins... One went right into a system without a processor, now to test these 5 to clarify stepping/revision and if any of these are decent overclockers.

Attachments

• IMG_0548.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0548.JPG
    File size
    1.24 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0547.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0547.JPG
    File size
    1.53 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by MN_Moody on 2021-11-04, 20:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 41007 of 52352, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CrFr wrote on 2021-11-04, 17:24:

Got an AppleCD 300e CD-ROM drive for my Color Classic setup.

IMGP2125_.jpg

that's a nice looking setup!
I only have a SE/30 - always envied the color classic but damn the prices are insane!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 41008 of 52352, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2021-11-04, 20:03:

IMGP2125_.jpg

I only have a SE/30 - always envied the color classic but damn the prices are insane!

I got lucky couple of years ago. I saw a listing with asking price of 120€, with a mention that the machine doesn't turn on. I offered 50€ for it, and the seller accepted. Turns out the seller had thought the machine was supposed to start by turning on the switch in the back. I connected a keyboard, pressed the power key, and it started right away. Everything worked, even the original hard drive. Sound was slightly distorted, and it was fixed by recapping the logic board.

I wouldn't have paid those typical asking prices either. It's more like "nice to have" than "must have" system for me.

Reply 41009 of 52352, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CrFr wrote on 2021-11-04, 20:25:

IMGP2125_.jpg

I got lucky couple of years ago. I saw a listing with asking price of 120€, with a mention that the machine doesn't turn on. I offered 50€ for it, and the seller accepted. Turns out the seller had thought the machine was supposed to start by turning on the switch in the back. I connected a keyboard, pressed the power key, and it started right away. Everything worked, even the original hard drive. Sound was slightly distorted, and it was fixed by recapping the logic board.

I wouldn't have paid those typical asking prices either. It's more like "nice to have" than "must have" system for me.

It's hilarious how much they go for when you consider that, unmodified, they're as terrible as the LCII.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 41010 of 52352, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Didn't buy it today, but received it today.
ItEnFEz.jpg
RAdqrAz.jpg
CPU was broken, but not a big deal, since I wanted to swap it with the 3000+ anyway.
Caps look like they have bulged and pushed back in with a screwdriver. Also not a big deal, since it will receive a polymod anyway.

KT333CE Northbridge + VT8235 Southbridge (for USB 2.0)
There aren't a lot of boards which combine these two chipsets. Asus and Gigabyte never bothered to release one and only released KT400 boards with VT8235. But those don't support AGP 3.3V. The four EPoX boards seem to be unicorns. Then there are low end brands like Jetway and Biostar, which leaves only MSI as on option. Still looking for the RAID variant.

Can you guess which graphics card will be in the slot? 😉

Reply 41011 of 52352, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So jealous.. I have a KT2 Ultra, it needed a recap so I did that. Does not post, and fried 2 Socket A CPUs (I think..). I had one of these back in the day and it was such an amazing board.. If I can get it working I'll use it for a Voodoo 3 I guess you'll do something similar? For now I have to make do with an ASRock K7VM2 (KM266+VT8235)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 41012 of 52352, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2021-11-05, 04:50:
Didn't buy it today, but received it today. https://i.imgur.com/ItEnFEz.jpg https://i.imgur.com/RAdqrAz.jpg CPU was broken, but […]
Show full quote

Didn't buy it today, but received it today.
ItEnFEz.jpg
RAdqrAz.jpg
CPU was broken, but not a big deal, since I wanted to swap it with the 3000+ anyway.
Caps look like they have bulged and pushed back in with a screwdriver. Also not a big deal, since it will receive a polymod anyway.

KT333CE Northbridge + VT8235 Southbridge (for USB 2.0)
There aren't a lot of boards which combine these two chipsets. Asus and Gigabyte never bothered to release one and only released KT400 boards with VT8235. But those don't support AGP 3.3V. The four EPoX boards seem to be unicorns. Then there are low end brands like Jetway and Biostar, which leaves only MSI as on option. Still looking for the RAID variant.

Can you guess which graphics card will be in the slot? 😉

Those old MSI boards have a special place in my heart, as my PC throughout my early 20s was built around a MSI K7T266 Pro2 and I have many fond memories of gaming on that system. If memory serves it was the only KT266A board at the time to have USB 2.0 on board. I actually have that entire system recreated almost 100% authentic to the original one I had. You gonna stick a Voodoo 5500 in there? I have one myself and have considered sticking it in that system.

Reply 41013 of 52352, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

An ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (oh, hallowed graphics king of 2002 whom I could never afford!) and an IBM Port Replicator II for a Thinkpad A22m - which conveniently doubles up as a dock for an A31p I’ve been eyeing up…

Now if only they had a Thinkpad dock that could fit a PCI Voodoo2…

Attachments

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Reply 41014 of 52352, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2021-11-05, 05:05:

So jealous.. I have a KT2 Ultra, it needed a recap so I did that. Does not post, and fried 2 Socket A CPUs (I think..). I had one of these back in the day and it was such an amazing board..

Wasn't even expensive. 22€ with free shipping, from a (small) professional seller on Ebay. Will even get a small refund, because of the broken CPU.
Seems to be a retro lover, who has turned his hobby into a sidejob. He probably sold it so cheap, because it's in a rough shape. But I don't care about the caps, because my buddy and I plan to polymod all our stuff anyway.

If I can get it working I'll use it for a Voodoo 3 I guess you'll do something similar?

Nah.

Brawndo wrote on 2021-11-05, 05:20:

You gonna stick a Voodoo 5500 in there?

Exactly!
Don't have one yet and it looks like I'll have to pay the full price. So far I've snatched up all my stuff pretty cheap. Voodoo2 for 1€! 🤣

Or a Voodoo 6000, if I ever get one. *points to his avatar*
I wanted to buy one back in the day, but because it got delayed over and over again, I went for GeForce 2. Still regret not buying the V5500 instead.
It's about time that Anthony starts mass production. 😁

Reply 41015 of 52352, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So jealous.. I have a KT2 Ultra, it needed a recap so I did that. Does not post, and fried 2 Socket A CPUs (I think..). I had one of these back in the day and it was such an amazing board.. If I can get it working I'll use it for a Voodoo 3 I guess you'll do something similar? For now I have to make do with an ASRock K7VM2 (KM266+VT8235)

MSI motherboards from this period were truly horrible. Not only they were impacted by the capacitor plague more than boards from other brands, but also they have serious problems with the CPU power delivery (which again may be related to awful capacitors they used). Back in ~2003 I ordered many machines with KT3 Ultras and KT3Vs at work. 1-2 years later and they were dying constantly almost in every machine. Same unfortunately applied to K7D Master boards I used in several servers (I still have on of those boards but it had to be recapped and something in the VRC also had to be replaced as well if I remember correctly).
Ever since I never bought or installed a single MSI motherboard in any machine. I simply ceased to trust this brand.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 41016 of 52352, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BetaC wrote on 2021-11-04, 20:43:
CrFr wrote on 2021-11-04, 20:25:

It's hilarious how much they go for when you consider that, unmodified, they're as terrible as the LCII.

I find it more hilarious to think of those people who actually bought this crap new in 1993-1994. It was totally outdated already back then and still expensive as hell. In the 80's this would have been cool, but in the 90's already obsolete by the time of introduction. Only Apple can sell machines with 16MHz processors when other brands had already 100MHz 486DX4s and such for lower price.

In Finland, converted to present day currency and adjusted for inflation, price of this junk was 2681€ 😁 Only a total moron would have bought it. But as a collector's piece, it's nice. Rare, silly looking little machine.

Reply 41017 of 52352, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought some modern stuff for a retro computer -

Got a 1MB Mapper & MegaRAM cartridge for my MSX computer. Will load games from SD card, as well as supporting Sega SG-1000 ROMs and I should be able to run modified Colecovision ROMs too. Quite an impressive games library even for my lowly MSX1, but I'd still love to own an MSX2 or 2+ someday 🤣.

Also got a JoyMega adapter for the MSX, to enable the use of Sega Mega Drive controllers for games requiring more than 1 button. Up to now I've been using the only working 2-button joystick I had for the MSX - the Cheetah Annihilator, so a Mega Drive pad will be a vast improvement!

Reply 41018 of 52352, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those three card - upper two bought among other things from a guy who sells all sort of cr*p at local electronics flee market in Warsaw, and bottom two from elsewhere... G-Force 128 🤣... a bastard child of Riva 128 and GeForce 256 or maybe GVP G-Force Amiga accelerator ;D

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 41019 of 52352, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

those tseng ET6000s are really neat but the WRAM modules to up them to 4MB are very, very rare

middle one's an 8MB voodoo banshee, I guess