Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 41220 of 52758, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bondi wrote on 2021-11-23, 09:28:

Got this Disney Sound Source for a good price. Surprisingly these pop up on eBay quite often and for reasonable price.
DSS.jpg

Mine came with the Mickey's ABC's a Day at the Fair (both 3.5" DD and 5.25" DD diskettes). Came with a bulged 9V battery that wasn't installed and it works with a new 9V battery.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 41221 of 52758, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mekamayhem wrote on 2021-11-25, 05:27:

Hercules Stingray 64

me too, me too! 😁

hardware40_68.jpg
Filename
hardware40_68.jpg
File size
318.45 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

and this nice ATi VGA StereoFX

hardware40_69.jpg
Filename
hardware40_69.jpg
File size
389.71 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

also I don't think I've posted these here yet, including that absolute beautiful abomination of a controller 😁

hardware40_67.jpg
Filename
hardware40_67.jpg
File size
368.6 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
hardware40_66.jpg
Filename
hardware40_66.jpg
File size
276.08 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
hardware40_65.jpg
Filename
hardware40_65.jpg
File size
264.87 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 41223 of 52758, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nothing special ^^

just an opti branded QDSP, I think I have the almost exact same combination integrated on a card, but it's nice to have it on a module to play around with.

hardware40_66b.jpg
Filename
hardware40_66b.jpg
File size
305.9 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 41224 of 52758, by subnet_zero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2021-11-25, 11:06:

nothing special ^^

just an opti branded QDSP, I think I have the almost exact same combination integrated on a card, but it's nice to have it on a module to play around with.

hardware40_66b.jpg

An Opti QDSP based one is not listed on wavetable.nl nor waveblaster.nl, this combination might be quite rare. On what QDSP chip could it be based? Anyway, nice find.

Reply 41225 of 52758, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

QDSP QS700, it's equivalent to the very first one listed there:
https://www.wavetable.nl/wp-content/uploads/A … V-1.1-Front.jpg

it may be rare in this specific form, idk, but like I said it's not really that special ^^, you can find many sound cards with a QS700, they're usually very low-budget models.

Reply 41226 of 52758, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2021-11-25, 10:02:

[...]

and this nice ATi VGA StereoFX
hardware40_69.jpg

Nice! I assume it did not come with the breakout box right? Hit me up if you need the pinout for line in/out and gameport

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 41227 of 52758, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

heh I'm almost glad it didn't, otherwise I probably wouldn't have gotten a good price x3
I found another thread where you posted the audio pinout already, do you have the entire pinout? already added a HD26 d-sub to my cart ^^

Reply 41228 of 52758, by subnet_zero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2021-11-25, 12:51:

it may be rare in this specific form, idk, but like I said it's not really that special ^^, you can find many sound cards with a QS700, they're usually very low-budget models.

Thanks, now I see the similarities. 😁
Very low-budget soundcards I agree, however the prices (on Ebay Germany) for obtaining them are ramping up, to a point where it is litte too spicy for my taste.
As a standalone wavetable module, the prices can go even higher. 😪

Reply 41229 of 52758, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
subnet_zero wrote on 2021-11-25, 15:28:
Thanks, now I see the similarities. 😁 Very low-budget soundcards I agree, however the prices (on Ebay Germany) for obtaining the […]
Show full quote
imi wrote on 2021-11-25, 12:51:

Very low-budget soundcards I agree, however the prices (on Ebay Germany) for obtaining them are ramping up, to a point where it is litte too spicy for my taste.

As long as the design isn't too complicated, a few good souls, developed replacements or equivalents (for lack of a better term) to avoid skyrocketing prices overtaking the scene.
Also to provide replacements of near impossible-to-find items (like proprietary ram cards).
This happened with a lot of cards, Amiga and C64 are some, but costs aren't always friendly, but not inaccessible.
A lot of effort is required but they manage to give to the community a new tool.

Market has been "ramping up" so much that at some point many retro related items will get extremely overpriced. Some sound cards were priced 25$ like 10 years ago and now double or more 🙁
Sometimes nostalgia is the main factor in the decision to buy.
I'd like to find a PC1512 or 1640, but it costs too much. If I remember correctly, there is a new XT board developed to accomodate up to a V30, all new 😀

It is a complicated and frustrating but it is our hobby.
I'm happy to watch the many videos that pop up on YT, with tests, comparisons and conclusions on such hard to find cards, cpus, upgrades etc.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 41230 of 52758, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2021-11-25, 15:21:

heh I'm almost glad it didn't, otherwise I probably wouldn't have gotten a good price x3
I found another thread where you posted the audio pinout already, do you have the entire pinout? already added a HD26 d-sub to my cart ^^

u03bbO9.png

here is what I got
Ro Lo is sound OUTPUT
Ri Li is sound INPUT
joystick axis and buttons are marked as well
ignore the -5v , +5v, mic and midi rx/tx stuff as the hypothesis is that the breakout box had extra circuitry inside - the only interesting thing would be the midi stuff but it is like old SB-MIDI so not really useful
I made a cable with Line-OUT/IN and gameport

jj0Uz29.png

hope this helps!

edit: maybe a dedicated thread needs to be made for this thing?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 41232 of 52758, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a slot A motherboard and the guy also had TNT 2 pro, Tualatin supporting motherboard and dual socket A epox M762A with the original pci usb card which he gave me for free. Epox needs 2 new caps, MSI k7 Pro weirdly seems fine. Now all that's needed is a slot a golden orb cooler .

Attachments

Reply 41233 of 52758, by subnet_zero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2021-11-25, 17:50:
As long as the design isn't too complicated, a few good souls, developed replacements or equivalents (for lack of a better term) […]
Show full quote
subnet_zero wrote on 2021-11-25, 15:28:

As long as the design isn't too complicated, a few good souls, developed replacements or equivalents (for lack of a better term) to avoid skyrocketing prices overtaking the scene.
Also to provide replacements of near impossible-to-find items (like proprietary ram cards).
This happened with a lot of cards, Amiga and C64 are some, but costs aren't always friendly, but not inaccessible.
A lot of effort is required but they manage to give to the community a new tool.

Market has been "ramping up" so much that at some point many retro related items will get extremely overpriced. Some sound cards were priced 25$ like 10 years ago and now double or more 🙁
Sometimes nostalgia is the main factor in the decision to buy.
I'd like to find a PC1512 or 1640, but it costs too much. If I remember correctly, there is a new XT board developed to accomodate up to a V30, all new 😀

It is a complicated and frustrating but it is our hobby.
I'm happy to watch the many videos that pop up on YT, with tests, comparisons and conclusions on such hard to find cards, cpus, upgrades etc.

Yep, those replacements are welcome development that I'm happy to see and support, like the ones from serdaco. 🤩 What I actually wanted to say was that it is fascinating to see, that some retro items like wavetable modules are here so rare, that even the low-budget ones can be considered somewhat special, while on other places they seem a lot more common and nothing special. Also some of the thrill in this hobby for me is, to get a good deal on those hardware. 😅
I somehow missed this sound/wavetable topic back then. Those YT videos and nostalgia, that's what brought me here and in this hobby. 😁

BTT: I bought some Molex to floppy extensions to compensate for the very short floppy connection on my Dell proprietary power supply.

Reply 41234 of 52758, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

18 AT cases + 10 keyboards.
Will post pic tomorrow but I'm happy as I'll be able to use some for my retro projects.
😀:):):)

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 41235 of 52758, by zami555

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just arrived two 3Com ISA NICs, which I've bought a few days ago. I'm really happy that I found these for my 486 rigs. Still there is this uncertainty whether they both work or not ?

Attachments

Reply 41236 of 52758, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I received another parcel from my favorite scrap trader on Ebay. Paid 51€ (shipping included) for all of it.

Lets start with some random cards from the dark ages of computing:

IMG_6241.JPG
Filename
IMG_6241.JPG
File size
1.7 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I have no use for these. Is there anything valuable between them?

Next we have some PCI cards (mostly NICs) and a CNR card:

IMG_6223.JPG
Filename
IMG_6223.JPG
File size
1.71 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Definitely going to use the Intel NIC. Sadly the NEC card turned out to be Firewire. Who needs that crap? F*** Apple! I thought it's an USB card. The pictures provided by the seller are always really bad quality.

Sound cards:

IMG_6212.JPG
Filename
IMG_6212.JPG
File size
1.68 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I have better than these. But still a nice bonus.

Graphic cards:

IMG_6207.JPG
Filename
IMG_6207.JPG
File size
1.63 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Can you spot the valuable card between them?
I'm still surprised that I got this lot so cheaply. It's a miracle.
Some would even say it's magic... or Voodoo. 😉

Spoiler

wnpvRK7.jpg
Gainward Dragon 4000 -> 3dfx Voodoo Banshee
Sadly the VRAM is damaged. 🙁

Reply 41237 of 52758, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not exactly retro, but only for retro purposes so it's fair game. Extremely solid and reliable with a strong and sturdy CF slot. Much better than anything I've had before. Lexar LRW500URB.

Attachments

Reply 41238 of 52758, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And do I see a GUS for a Mac? (joking)
what is that red NUBUS-like card?

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 41239 of 52758, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PD2JK wrote on 2021-11-27, 07:51:

And do I see a GUS for a Mac? (joking)
what is that red NUBUS-like card?

Found one of it on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/233882196464
Will gladly trade it against a GUS! 🤣

Didn't do research yet on all these items.
The Voodoo was the primary reason why I did bid on this lot. The heatspreader did seem familiar. A quick Google search revealed that it is indeed a Voodoo Banshee, as I assumed.
Although the Voodoo is broken (but not beyond repair) it's still a great haul imho.