Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 42720 of 52626, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pentium III 850/100/256 Slot 1 MISB

I bought this with the intention of upgrading a Slot 1 800MHz P3, but I have since changed my mind and I will keep this sealed. I think what changed my mind was looking at a Quake III benchmark and noticing a P3 677/133 pulls ahead of the 850/100 and a 733 beats it soundly. Better to keep this 850 as a historical piece and switch to another system if I need 4fps more (compared to an 800) that badly…heh…

Attachments

Reply 42721 of 52626, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^
Very nice. 100MHz FSB with high multiplier are getting rare.

On topic; I figured that a Philips sound card (well, just a very nice OPL3 SB clone with a yellow Philips sticker) - would fit nicely in a Philips machine. Everything but period correct in a 80286... but hey, i needed cheap OPL2/3. 😀

Attachments

• PhilipsPCA70SB.jpg
    Filename
    PhilipsPCA70SB.jpg
    File size
    512.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 42722 of 52626, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-22, 19:08:

I bought this with the intention of upgrading a Slot 1 800MHz P3, but I have since changed my mind and I will keep this sealed. I think what changed my mind was looking at a Quake III benchmark and noticing a P3 677/133 pulls ahead of the 850/100 and a 733 beats it soundly. Better to keep this 850 as a historical piece and switch to another system if I need 4fps more (compared to an 800) that badly…heh…

Good choice. I always cringe when I watch Youtubers build retro systems from sealed NOS-parts that are readily available without box

Reply 42723 of 52626, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PD2JK wrote on 2022-02-22, 19:24:

^^
Very nice. 100MHz FSB with high multiplier are getting rare.

On topic; I figured that a Philips sound card (well, just a very nice OPL3 SB clone with a yellow Philips sticker) - would fit nicely in a Philips machine. Everything but period correct in a 80286... but hey, i needed cheap OPL2/3. 😀

Made by Greenleaf International Inc

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 42724 of 52626, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2022-02-22, 18:57:
kixs wrote on 2022-02-22, 18:43:
Bought this interesting full size AT EISA 486 board :D […]
Show full quote

Bought this interesting full size AT EISA 486 board 😁

u6pXicNm.jpg

Too bad it has some damage and probably doesn't work 🙁

F1A2SD2m.jpg

I need to see if I have any other 486 board with Weitek socket... probably not 🙁

Nice find with the 4167. Highly sought after

And it's the only reason I've bought it 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 42725 of 52626, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In general, it's not worth spending "significant" amounts of money, (and I peg that at probably more than $20 depending on how broke I'm feeling and whether it's right in front of me or not) to do a CPU upgrade that's less than another 50% of the one you're running... because 15-20% is the you can barely feel it level, and have to run benches to make sure you didn't get ripped off. Then 20-33% is you can tell after you use it a bit, 33-50 is a definite yes this is faster, but you're not really blown away.

But also the bus speed boost can be quite noticeable because of effect on entire system, everything gets the bump, not just the number crunching.

You'll notice the "classic" x86 speeds 16,20,25,33,40,50 are all kinda rounded off 25% increments... but later range planning might have had binning for lack of yield performance, and matching competitor model speeds, and marketing fussing about having a "gap" and round numbers selling better and all sorts of nonsense polluting the ideal of putting 'em far enough apart so you can at least tell.

As you get near the top of the range, or "fastest on X speed bus" etc, you start paying out the ass for the couple of notches nearest the top. So when it comes to range topping performance, I usually shoot for being in sight of it, rather than being at it, because it's almost double the price. For myself, sub 20% bumps don't usually feel worth opening the case for when I've got the CPU sitting there. Only time that happens really is "this CPU is a bit faster than that CPU, but the thing that needs A CPU of this type next doesn't need much performance, so it's a waste for it to have the slightly faster CPU, so I guess I'll bother swapping them over and giving it the slower one and the other system the faster one. " 🤣 .... then you've just seen by purchases I might go for something in the 33% bump area if it's dirt cheap. 1.6 CellyM to 1.8 PentM, where the Celly probably has a 15% celeron tax on the performance. 1.5 Willamette to 2.0 P4.. ... ... ... but if I really got a passion for X machine being as fast as possible, the possible would likely mean a limit of $50 worth of possible, unless it was a very modern box.

So your PIII there, I'd be inclined to see if it liked 124Mhz bus, the 800.. though if it's an older stepping a B stepping, not sure it will like 133, I think it has the ghz bug which shot intel in the foot when they tried to break 1Ghz ... then they fixed it.. and I think it's fixed for all CPUs of that stepping, which I'm not recalling if it's C or D now... anyway, some will clock fine past 1Ghz, some will seem to but have strange errors. (Differently strange than a CPU pushed to limit of it's clock speed envelope I mean)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42726 of 52626, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-22, 19:58:
In general, it's not worth spending "significant" amounts of money, (and I peg that at probably more than $20 depending on how b […]
Show full quote

In general, it's not worth spending "significant" amounts of money, (and I peg that at probably more than $20 depending on how broke I'm feeling and whether it's right in front of me or not) to do a CPU upgrade that's less than another 50% of the one you're running... because 15-20% is the you can barely feel it level, and have to run benches to make sure you didn't get ripped off. Then 20-33% is you can tell after you use it a bit, 33-50 is a definite yes this is faster, but you're not really blown away.

But also the bus speed boost can be quite noticeable because of effect on entire system, everything gets the bump, not just the number crunching.

You'll notice the "classic" x86 speeds 16,20,25,33,40,50 are all kinda rounded off 25% increments... but later range planning might have had binning for lack of yield performance, and matching competitor model speeds, and marketing fussing about having a "gap" and round numbers selling better and all sorts of nonsense polluting the ideal of putting 'em far enough apart so you can at least tell.

As you get near the top of the range, or "fastest on X speed bus" etc, you start paying out the ass for the couple of notches nearest the top. So when it comes to range topping performance, I usually shoot for being in sight of it, rather than being at it, because it's almost double the price. For myself, sub 20% bumps don't usually feel worth opening the case for when I've got the CPU sitting there. Only time that happens really is "this CPU is a bit faster than that CPU, but the thing that needs A CPU of this type next doesn't need much performance, so it's a waste for it to have the slightly faster CPU, so I guess I'll bother swapping them over and giving it the slower one and the other system the faster one. " 🤣 .... then you've just seen by purchases I might go for something in the 33% bump area if it's dirt cheap. 1.6 CellyM to 1.8 PentM, where the Celly probably has a 15% celeron tax on the performance. 1.5 Willamette to 2.0 P4.. ... ... ... but if I really got a passion for X machine being as fast as possible, the possible would likely mean a limit of $50 worth of possible, unless it was a very modern box.

So your PIII there, I'd be inclined to see if it liked 124Mhz bus, the 800.. though if it's an older stepping a B stepping, not sure it will like 133, I think it has the ghz bug which shot intel in the foot when they tried to break 1Ghz ... then they fixed it.. and I think it's fixed for all CPUs of that stepping, which I'm not recalling if it's C or D now... anyway, some will clock fine past 1Ghz, some will seem to but have strange errors. (Differently strange than a CPU pushed to limit of it's clock speed envelope I mean)

I agree with everything you said (and learned some new things as well). However, the problem is I want the fastest thing possible... and when I see there's an excuse to pop in an upgrade, ration be damned. There are no PIII 1GHz/100 available readily in retail packages... nor am I willing to pay the $500 t0 $700 they are listed in on eBay for those OEM packages (I know... surprise, right? I have some sense...) So, the 850 was the next best thing.

In this case, I now have (2) other 440BX systems, which can overclock the FSB. In one of them I have a PIII 1GHz/133, and I paid far less for all of the components then it would have cost me to splurge the for Pentium 1000/100. I also don't like the Intel Se440BX-2 motherboard this 850MHz CPU would have gone into much.

With all of that said, I do control spending on my main system (for the most part). When I'm ready to buy, I do buy the fastest I can get, but I hang on to it for a while. I'm currently using an i9-10900K (5.3/5.3/5.2 for the rest) with a 2080 Ti FTW3. It will be a while before I upgrade. Something really interesting and earth-shattering performance will have to come along (and the GPU market has to come back down to earth) before I move away from this system.

Reply 42727 of 52626, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-22, 20:17:
I agree with everything you said (and learned some new things as well). However, the problem is I want the fastest thing possi […]
Show full quote
In general, it's not worth spending "significant" amounts of money, (and I peg that at probably more than $20 depending on how b […]
Show full quote

I agree with everything you said (and learned some new things as well). However, the problem is I want the fastest thing possible... and when I see there's an excuse to pop in an upgrade, ration be damned. There are no PIII 1GHz/100 available readily in retail packages... nor am I willing to pay the $500 t0 $700 they are listed in on eBay for those OEM packages (I know... surprise, right? I have some sense...) So, the 850 was the next best thing.

In this case, I now have (2) other 440BX systems, which can overclock the FSB. In one of them I have a PIII 1GHz/133, and I paid far less for all of the components then it would have cost me to splurge the for Pentium 1000/100. I also don't like the Intel Se440BX-2 motherboard this 850MHz CPU would have gone into much.

With all of that said, I do control spending on my main system (for the most part). When I'm ready to buy, I do buy the fastest I can get, but I hang on to it for a while. I'm currently using an i9-10900K (5.3/5.3/5.2 for the rest) with a 2080 Ti FTW3. It will be a while before I upgrade. Something really interesting and earth-shattering performance will have to come along (and the GPU market has to come back down to earth) before I move away from this system.

I’m the same with my main systems and really the only one that gets attention these days is the money making workstation. It’s a 10980xe with 3080ti and more ram than I honestly needed but it’ll likely be a viable system for years. I figure it’ll last 5 or so years for work purposes and then spend the rest of its life as a gaming rig.

Retro stuff tho… I have 4 big ticket items I want and I think I’ll be done for a good while, cheap they ain’t tho 🙁

Reply 42728 of 52626, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-22, 20:35:
I agree with everything you said (and learned some new things as well). However, the problem is I want the fastest thing possi […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

I’m the same with my main systems and really the only one that gets attention these days is the money making workstation. It’s a 10980xe with 3080ti and more ram than I honestly needed but it’ll likely be a viable system for years. I figure it’ll last 5 or so years for work purposes and then spend the rest of its life as a gaming rig.

Retro stuff tho… I have 4 big ticket items I want and I think I’ll be done for a good while, cheap they ain’t tho 🙁

Mine also makes me money, but it could have done it for far less!

Which big tickets? One of them was a 5500, right?

Reply 42729 of 52626, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ordered a batch of motherboards yesterday, three ASUS and one ASROCK.
Looking in detail these are cards from the mid-late 2000s, The ASRock is a socket 478 for Pentium CPUs up to Prescott, it has some capacitors to replace in the area near the CPU, the exact model is P4VT8 +, I have a working one that I repaired long ago, changing the same bulging capacitors.
A couple of ASUS sockets are 754 sockets, apparently they look fine, here I think it may be possible that at least one works, according to the vendor they have been put away for PC upgrades.
The other ASUS is AM2, and it has some swollen capacitors, hoping that the failure is just that, after the capacitor change it might work again, as card looks interesting, it seems to support more powerful CPUs, if I'm not mistaken until 125W, at the moment I don't have such a CPU, I have a Phenom X3 8650 in another PC, but if I'm not mistaken here could you even put a Phenom X6?

Attachments

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 42730 of 52626, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-22, 19:06:
kixs wrote on 2022-02-22, 18:43:
Bought this interesting full size AT EISA 486 board :D […]
Show full quote

Bought this interesting full size AT EISA 486 board 😁

u6pXicNm.jpg

Too bad it has some damage and probably doesn't work 🙁

F1A2SD2m.jpg

I need to see if I have any other 486 board with Weitek socket... probably not 🙁

The PAL chips look like they'll straighten up and what's cracked looks like a cache chip, hard to find, but not unique to board... so with the PALs straightened out, try booting and turning L2 off, see if it's a "goer" otherwise.

That's what I plan to do. Have to find out one way or the other...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 42731 of 52626, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC@LIVE wrote on 2022-02-22, 20:43:
Ordered a batch of motherboards yesterday, three ASUS and one ASROCK. Looking in detail these are cards from the mid-late 2000s, […]
Show full quote

Looking in detail these are cards from the mid-late 2000s, The ASRock is a socket 478 for Pentium CPUs up to Prescott, it has some capacitors to replace in the area near the CPU, the exact model is P4VT8 +, I have a working one that I repaired long ago, changing the same bulging capacitors.
A couple of ASUS sockets are 754 sockets, apparently they look fine, here I think it may be possible that at least one works, according to the vendor they have been put away for PC upgrades.
The other ASUS is AM2, and it has some swollen capacitors, hoping that the failure is just that, after the capacitor change it might work again, as card looks interesting, it seems to support more powerful CPUs, if I'm not mistaken until 125W, at the moment I don't have such a CPU, I have a Phenom X3 8650 in another PC, but if I'm not mistaken here could you even put a Phenom X6?

Yah if you can get BIOS support you can whack a 1055 or something X6 in there... that might be the lower power "top" one I'm needing, not best best, which is hmm 1065??? IDK.. the numbers all get mixed up in my head.

edit: retroquote quote.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42732 of 52626, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-22, 20:46:
Ordered a batch of motherboards yesterday, three ASUS and one ASROCK. Looking in detail these are cards from the mid-late 2000s, […]
Show full quote

Yah if you can get BIOS support you can whack a 1055 or something X6 in there... that might be the lower power "top" one I'm needing, not best best, which is hmm 1065??? IDK.. the numbers all get mixed up in my head.

The 95watt 1055t looked like the best bang for the buck last time I was looking at them. The 125watts are cheaper and more common but I hate using 125 watt chips with crappy VRM boards, even if they support them.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-02-23, 05:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 42733 of 52626, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

OK yes I also don't understand much with those strange numbers, up to 9XX0 it was quite easy beyond those numbers it becomes more complicated, maybe it's not that difficult but it's not intuitive.
Of course I would probably settle for a Phenom X4, also for a matter of cost, but if I found an X6 at a fairly low price, I think I would choose that, even if in reality I don't know how much faster and more powerful it is than the X4.

Reply 42734 of 52626, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote on 2022-02-22, 20:55:
Show full quote

The 95watt 1055t looked like the best bang for the buck last time I was looking at them. The 125watts are cheaper and more common but I hate using 125 watt chips with crappy VRM boards, even if they supporty them.

So from what you write would you advise against them, for this ASUS or for some cheap cards?
And if I may know, which CPUs would you recommend, i.e. for non-home office use.

Reply 42735 of 52626, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-22, 20:37:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-22, 20:35:

Mine also makes me money, but it could have done it for far less!

Which big tickets? One of them was a 5500, right?

Yup the 5500 is the biggest, a nos 1ghz slot 1 p3 100fsb is another. I found one but it’s about 600 AUD iirc and I’m hesitant to just buy it even tho I likely won’t see another.

I’m also looking for a QDI Advance 12t which are stupidly rare and I’ve yet to even see then non t version.

I guess the lest big of the 4 is a Gf3 Ti 500 have only seen the 1 on EBay and it’s nearly 500AUD.

Reply 42736 of 52626, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC@LIVE wrote on 2022-02-22, 20:58:

Of course I would probably settle for a Phenom X4, also for a matter of cost, but if I found an X6 at a fairly low price, I think I would choose that, even if in reality I don't know how much faster and more powerful it is than the X4.

I'd say if you're trying to make it be modern as possible, then more cores the better, but if it's gonna want to be a "2010" plus or minus a few years gamer then maybe maxing core speed at expense of number of cores is the way to go, due to lots of games not using multithreading. ... but for more modern sub AAA games (More lightweight ones), you might run into problems of not supporting beyond SSE 4a even if it's generally got just enough grunt.

Reply 42737 of 52626, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PC@LIVE wrote on 2022-02-22, 21:02:
ODwilly wrote on 2022-02-22, 20:55:

The 95watt 1055t looked like the best bang for the buck last time I was looking at them. The 125watts are cheaper and more common but I hate using 125 watt chips with crappy VRM boards, even if they supporty them.

So from what you write would you advise against them, for this ASUS or for some cheap cards?
And if I may know, which CPUs would you recommend, i.e. for non-home office use.

Sorry after looking at Asus's support page the Phenom 9650 looks like the highest officially supported CPU. I'll dig around the internet and see if anyone has gotten Phenom ii chips to work on this board. I would def stick to 95watt chips for this board just to be safe. VRM's dont look very beefy, plus with bad caps Im sure they have been abused enough 😀

EDIT: This thread confirms a Phenom ii 810. Haven't dug to deep into it. https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/m3a-phenom- … y-works.299615/

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 42738 of 52626, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-22, 21:06:

I guess the lest big of the 4 is a Gf3 Ti 500 have only seen the 1 on EBay and it’s nearly 500AUD.

Oh wow, I have those on the "sorta want" list, meaning if I saw one for reasonable money I'd grab it, and was vaguely aware that "I kinda guess you don't see them real often huh?" thinking back in the day that they sold in fair numbers, so should be a few around, but I didn't really go hunting for one specifically. Guess I'm not getting one now unless I get lucky 🤣

For running on though, I don't think there's much difference between one and a Gf4 4200... I was running a 200 at near 500 speeds (stupid RAM wouldn't quite hit spec) and a 4200 I had at stock to feel out.. and at that point they felt about equal... though the Gf3 ti200 was gasping for air at that level and the 4200 was just chilling... Then Radeon 8500 has a close performance envelope to those two.