VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 43800 of 52689, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-09, 17:14:

Maybe "beautiful" isn't quite the right term, but it's certainly sleek and stylish and used to be high end.
The backplate is missing but if it had one back then, chances are it wasn't cheap.
Just a pity as the breakouts for the ports were used and without that plate, they stick out from the surface, which is pretty irritating. d-sub sockets should not be a bumper.

I wouldn't even have noticed the missing back panel - did most cases from that era have one? What I found a bit strange is that the seller had sold a sound card as tested and working, but seemed to lack the knowledge to test this PC. That made me a bit suspicious. But if it was working, I would have paid 200, mainly because I'm getting tired of being on the hunt every day for weeks now.

But in the meantime I did finally score a Pentium 60 machine - sadly not as beautiful as this, but in working condition. I will of course post it here when it arrives!

Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-09, 17:31:

For the timeframe and apart from the MHz LEDs, I'd still prefer the Artist I received this week. If it were less yellowed, which sadly, it is:
Bought these (retro) hardware today

That's a very nice one, too. I like the understated look and especially that power button, almost screams "push me"!

Reply 43801 of 52689, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
asdf53 wrote on 2022-04-09, 17:33:

I wouldn't even have noticed the missing back panel - did most cases from that era have one?

Good question, that backplate.
They became less common after, say, 1990.
And I think, they were more common on full towers than else - maybe simply because full towers tended to be very expensive rigs.
I own at least one ESCOM full tower that still has its plate, one like that:
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMDQ3/z/3ac … piEvnX/$_59.JPG
Mine is a Pentium but they used it for quite some time around 1990-94.
The backplate usually gets lost because the mounting posts get brittle and break off. So it's a bit of the holy grail for old cases.
The d-sub plugs sticking out of the plate like that without any mechanical protection would have been regarded as very bad engineering. Hence the backplate as a frame.

What I found a bit strange is that the seller had sold a sound card as tested and working, but seemed to lack the knowledge to test this PC. That made me a bit suspicious.

Yep, some merit to that theory. Can't hurt to check the ratings with sellers like that.
Then again, if it does not boot, very few will investigate any further, which I can perfectly understand. Positive test to boot screen - matter of minutes. The opposite, rabbit hole.
And if not, oftentimes it's a fucked PSU, loose cable, missing jumper, or minor mobo component to replace. While all other parts will be OK.

Last edited by Cuttoon on 2022-04-09, 17:54. Edited 1 time in total.

I like jumpers.

Reply 43802 of 52689, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-09, 17:31:

For the timeframe and apart from the MHz LEDs, I'd still prefer the Artist I received this week. If it were less yellowed, which sadly, it is:
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

That's a very nice one, too. I like the understated look and especially that power button, almost screams "push me"!

Yep, that's why I got it - the content is nothing to write home about, but the case is really first class.
I'm rather sure it was made by InWin since I own a retail case by them that's only slightly older and ATX, the Q500.
But, that one is custom design and branded - pretty rare, at least for an affordable, small German OEM I had never heard about before.
And as you see - the same senseless, weird protruding plane around the button. Why?

I like jumpers.

Reply 43803 of 52689, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I never quite understood how people can move these things and not even have a generic power cable and old tft with VGA cable.
That would be perfectly sufficient for the most basic confirmation of working order. Anyone below that skill should not be allowed to use my internet.

On the other hand, switching on a 30 year old PSU that might even have been stored outside could destroy some of the connected hardware. So some may argue that it's better selling it untested.

Reply 43804 of 52689, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanSolo wrote on 2022-04-09, 17:58:

I never quite understood how people can move these things and not even have a generic power cable and old tft with VGA cable.
That would be perfectly sufficient for the most basic confirmation of working order. Anyone below that skill should not be allowed to use my internet.

On the other hand, switching on a 30 year old PSU that might even have been stored outside could destroy some of the connected hardware. So some may argue that it's better selling it untested.

hehe, that's the thing.
I did not write that I wanted that to happen, I just don't understand it does not.
I mean, the scrapmongers, what do they have to lose?
Either it's fine, then hurray, or it goes bang then, well, it's not 😉
Not like they're going to write "It probably was in top shape until I hooked it up and it went up in flames so now I'm selling it as parts only"

Just my - rather positive - experience that most things sold untested really were and worked.

Last edited by Cuttoon on 2022-04-09, 18:07. Edited 1 time in total.

I like jumpers.

Reply 43805 of 52689, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-04-08, 21:50:

Ordered a Tandy CM-11 monitor off Ebay. I was admittedly nervous at the prospect of having a CRT monitor shipped.

Congratulations, that is such a beautiful machine. I don't know much about computers from this era, but my goodness, those were the days of aesthetically pleasing hardware design. Especially the monitors, keyboards and mice. Why didn't you have a monitor before?

Reply 43806 of 52689, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-06, 18:05:

The good people at "Artist" must have made it a point to transport the whole solid "made in Germany" feel with their all-Taiwanese components.

Just so you know:
"Artist" was a brand of the company Maxdata.
I have an Artist tower myself, but it's a bit more recent. 533MHz Celeron (PGA370). Board had some crappy OEM BIOS and didn't accept the original MSI BIOS. Hirsch had to use his ROM programmer to flash it. Now it accepts all Coppermine CPUs. Upgraded it with a 1000MHz Pentium III (133MHz FSB), 2x256MB@133MHz, a Voodoo3 and a Soundblaster Live. 😁

asdf53 wrote on 2022-04-09, 16:59:

I didn't buy it because the seller sold it as defective, and he's sold lots of older PCs that look like they were sourced from a scrap yard. But if it's working, whoever bought it got a great deal - it's a Pentium 60 system which is worth quite a bit on its own.

I know that seller. He's a scrap yard thief for sure.
Hirsch bought a machine or two from him.
He sells everything as untested. Kinda risky, so I wouldn't bid too much.

Reply 43807 of 52689, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
asdf53 wrote on 2022-04-09, 18:06:

Congratulations, that is such a beautiful machine. I don't know much about computers from this era, but my goodness, those were the days of aesthetically pleasing hardware design. Especially the monitors, keyboards and mice. Why didn't you have a monitor before?

I have a CM-5 monitor which came with the Tandy 1000 HX when I bought it recently. I really wanted to try the CM-11 monitor since I'd heard good things about them and also wanted to keep with the Tandy aesthetic.

And I agree, the aesthetics of these classic machines is something else. Really love the all-in-one wedge design they have.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 43809 of 52689, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
seanix1.jpg
Filename
seanix1.jpg
File size
233.55 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
seanix2.jpg
Filename
seanix2.jpg
File size
69.81 KiB
Views
File license

someone ewasted this entire seanix pentium 133 system in the original box. they'd used it, but put it back in the box with the original keyboard, mouse, speakers, even wrapped it in the original plastic and kept the box inserts.

I found it particularly funny that the 40x CD-ROM drive they put in as an upgrade is the only thing that actually yellowed at all.

ed: forgot to attach the pic of the computer itself, haha

Reply 43810 of 52689, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-04-09, 18:12:

Just so you know:

Interesting. Are you sure they started off as that? I knew that Maxdata had a product line called the "Artist Server" like this beast here:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/PC-Gehaeuse-Server-Al … D-/203883599933
But I assumed it was either their own sub brand or they had acquired the "original" Artist company or merely their name.
By my superficial research, Artist desktop PCs were not that uncommon, but I'd never heard of them. Nice tower, for sure. Big-ass Triton I board.

I know that seller. He's a scrap yard thief for sure. Hirsch bought a machine or two from him. He sells everything as untested. […]
Show full quote
asdf53 wrote on 2022-04-09, 16:59:

I didn't buy it because the seller sold it as defective, and he's sold lots of older PCs that look like they were sourced from a scrap yard. But if it's working, whoever bought it got a great deal - it's a Pentium 60 system which is worth quite a bit on its own.

I know that seller. He's a scrap yard thief for sure.
Hirsch bought a machine or two from him.
He sells everything as untested. Kinda risky, so I wouldn't bid too much.

I wouldn't call him a thief right away. Maybe he has connections to scrappers ore simply moving companies that clear out estates. Maybe he has a scrap yard or such company? It's quite a business.
He sells a lot of rather unspecified AT cases for low starting values.
But he did sell at least one machine "tested" or at least claimed in working order:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/pc-retro-sehr-selten-/313932875429

Maybe he truly doesn't know shit and that one he tested because it came with a keyboard.
Or maybe, if not claimed otherwise, assume them DOA or at least not booting.
What was Hirsch's result or two?

I like jumpers.

Reply 43811 of 52689, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
libby wrote on 2022-04-09, 21:17:

someone ewasted this entire seanix pentium 133 system in the original box. they'd used it, but put it back in the box with the original keyboard, mouse, speakers, even wrapped it in the original plastic and kept the box inserts.

I'd say quite a few middle class+ people want to get rid of those things, won't bother selling, and yet for sentimental or environmental reasons, would like others to keep them. Hence the careful packing. And it did work out, apparently.
How did you get hold of it?
Here in Germany, there's mostly no dumpster diving or buying from scrapyards due to stupid regulation and general assholery...

libby wrote on 2022-04-09, 21:17:

I found it particularly funny that the 40x CD-ROM drive they put in as an upgrade is the only thing that actually yellowed at all.

Sure it's yellowed? (hard to tell from the picture.) Sometimes it's just another hue of beige. Or they installed it used and it spent the first time in a really sunny spot.

I like jumpers.

Reply 43812 of 52689, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-09, 21:48:
Interesting. Are you sure they started off as that? I knew that Maxdata had a product line called the "Artist Server" like this […]
Show full quote

Just so you know:

Interesting. Are you sure they started off as that? I knew that Maxdata had a product line called the "Artist Server" like this beast here:
But I assumed it was either their own sub brand or they had acquired the "original" Artist company or merely their name.

I have a Maxdata Artist notebook

Reply 43813 of 52689, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanSolo wrote on 2022-04-09, 22:45:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-09, 21:48:
Interesting. Are you sure they started off as that? I knew that Maxdata had a product line called the "Artist Server" like this […]
Show full quote

Just so you know:

I have a Maxdata Artist notebook

Yep, it seems that was their brand to begin with:
https://www.channelpartner.de/a/maxdata-computer-gmbh,604076

AFAIK, Maxdata sold exclusively b2b and early on online and BTO, focussing on KMU (kleine und mittlere Unternehmen).
https://www.itreseller.ch/Artikel/1536/Resell … 15_Minuten.html
- That would explain why they're not that well known in the consumer corner, not exactly Vobis or Escom...

Last edited by Cuttoon on 2022-04-10, 02:38. Edited 1 time in total.

I like jumpers.

Reply 43814 of 52689, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-09, 21:56:

I'd say quite a few middle class+ people want to get rid of those things, won't bother selling, and yet for sentimental or environmental reasons, would like others to keep them. Hence the careful packing. And it did work out, apparently.
How did you get hold of it?
Here in Germany, there's mostly no dumpster diving or buying from scrapyards due to stupid regulation and general assholery...

recycling, lotta stuff I get comes from there or from a couple folks who get things there

Sure it's yellowed? (hard to tell from the picture.) Sometimes it's just another hue of beige. Or they installed it used and it spent the first time in a really sunny spot.

it is, albeit not that much

Reply 43816 of 52689, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-04-10, 03:55:

I bought another FX 5900 today. I hope it has not been dropped, does not have defective memory, and has not been subjected to a belt sander.

hehe, you dont seem to have much luck with 5900s

Kinda like me and Voodoo 3 3500s ..lost 4 auctions so far ...might be because im not willing to shell out 300 bucks for one .. yet.

Reply 43817 of 52689, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My newest haul arrived:

IMG_6941.JPG
Filename
IMG_6941.JPG
File size
1.85 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_6948.JPG
Filename
IMG_6948.JPG
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_6953.JPG
Filename
IMG_6953.JPG
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license

21,57€ (shipping included) for all of it.
"yOu cAn'T fInD gOoD dEaLs oN eBay aNyMoRe!"
Bullshit! You just need to dig a bit deeper. 😁

Title of the auction was: "PC Audio Midi, TV card, Tuner convolute"
Two TV cards were also part of the lot, but those are probably gonna end up in the hands of a scrapper and get molten down.
Found the lot by searching for "convolute" in the PC section. Between all the crap this auction immediately drew my attention. First thought: "Hey, are there Yamaha chips on those ISA cards?" Pictures were blurry, so I had to ask comrade Google for help. For the Logitech Soundman Games I could actually read the name and found it within seconds.

For the Aztech card I had to dig a bit deeper. Could just reach, that it's an Aztech card. So I googled for "Aztech ISA" until I found a matching picture. Aztech Galaxy NX Pro. What confuses me a bit is, that it's missing the socket for the SCSI controller, the connector pins for SCSI, the jumpers for SCSI as well as those red thingies between the two connectors. I only found pictures of cards that were missing the SCSI controller but had the socket. Were these cards actually sold this way or did someone desolder them?
There something interesting about this card: It's the only one that's compatible to Disney Sound Source / Covox Speech Thing. Quite interesting addition for my collection.

Reply 43818 of 52689, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you provide references for the Disney Sound Source / Covox Speech Thing support? I have a system that I use a Sound Blaster in purely for the OPL3 chip, and this would be a good "upgrade" for additional features if it's compatible.

Reply 43819 of 52689, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-04-10, 07:45:

Can you provide references for the Disney Sound Source / Covox Speech Thing support? I have a system that I use a Sound Blaster in purely for the OPL3 chip, and this would be a good "upgrade" for additional features if it's compatible.

Sure:
https://www-amoretro-de.translate.goog/2012/1 … &_x_tr_pto=wapp
Aztech Sound Galaxy cards