Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 44260 of 52719, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-04-30, 17:01:

Some LCDs have a pretty good built in scaler.

And there are also external scaler boxes. The good ones aren't cheap and most of the best ones are no longer manufactured. I've got a couple of the TVOne scalers that allow you to adjust every single parameter possible and they also have a ton of included settings.

Programming is done with a utility program.

I worry about the added latency of a scaler.

Reply 44261 of 52719, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Took delivery of a Casio CSM-1 and Casiotone MT-540 earlier this week.

Got these for recording music from old Sierra games that supported them.

Attachments

• Casio CSM-1.jpg
    Filename
    Casio CSM-1.jpg
    File size
    111.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • casio mt-540.jpg
    Filename
    casio mt-540.jpg
    File size
    126.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 44262 of 52719, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I somehow found this minty HP Pavilion at a thrift store for 20 dollars, I didn't have to think too hard about buying it.

PXL_20220430_144334681.jpg
Filename
PXL_20220430_144334681.jpg
File size
143.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
PXL_20220430_144338209.jpg
Filename
PXL_20220430_144338209.jpg
File size
140.55 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 44263 of 52719, by holdencars11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

$2 SideWinder

Unsure if i should remove the sticker of leave it on for the reminder of the bargain hahh

Attachments

Ryzen5 1600AF/ASRock B450Mac/16Gb/HD7750
i7 2600K/P67A-C43/16GB/GTX560
i7 960/MSI X58 Pro/8GB/8800GTS
Athlon II x4 620/GA-M56-S3/8GB/8800GTS
Duron 1300/A7S333/512MB/MX440
6x86MX PR200/PC Chips M571/64MB/ET6000
NEC PowerMate1 268 10MHz
And another 40 rigs.

Reply 44264 of 52719, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
holdencars11 wrote on 2022-05-01, 07:31:

$2 SideWinder

Unsure if i should remove the sticker of leave it on for the reminder of the bargain hahh

Sorry mate, but 2 bucks for a conventional joystick is not a bargain, it's basically double the usual price. 🙁 Even if every modern PC came with an IBM game port, no one would be using these any more. Have a look at how their sampling works: They're not even the equivalent of ball mice - ball mice usually have optical sensors.
If ball mice are the bronze age of input devices, conventional joysticks are positively neolithic. So, no matter the skill and sophistication, there's only so much you can do with stone instead of steel.

That being said, I'm the proud owner of a Logitech Wingman since 27 years, as well as a Wingman pro, a Sidewinder and since yesterday, a Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 that stalled on ebay twice over 20 days and was likely headed for the garbage. 😁

I like jumpers.

Reply 44265 of 52719, by holdencars11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-01, 11:30:

Sorry mate, but 2 bucks for a conventional joystick is not a bargain, it's basically double the usual price. 🙁 Even if every modern PC came with an IBM game port, no one would be using these any more. Have a look at how their sampling works: They're not even the equivalent of ball mice - ball mice usually have optical sensors.
If ball mice are the bronze age of input devices, conventional joysticks are positively neolithic. So, no matter the skill and sophistication, there's only so much you can do with stone instead of steel.

That being said, I'm the proud owner of a Logitech Wingman since 27 years, as well as a Wingman pro, a Sidewinder and since yesterday, a Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 that stalled on ebay twice over 20 days and was likely headed for the garbage. 😁

You can get Joysticks for $1?? Here they are going between $15 -20 and similar prices in the pawn shops. A similar '3d pro' gameport one sold for $37 on ebay only a few days ago.
IDK I use my Logitech Wingman Formula gameport wheel all the time without problems, and same with an IBM gameport gamepad.

Ryzen5 1600AF/ASRock B450Mac/16Gb/HD7750
i7 2600K/P67A-C43/16GB/GTX560
i7 960/MSI X58 Pro/8GB/8800GTS
Athlon II x4 620/GA-M56-S3/8GB/8800GTS
Duron 1300/A7S333/512MB/MX440
6x86MX PR200/PC Chips M571/64MB/ET6000
NEC PowerMate1 268 10MHz
And another 40 rigs.

Reply 44266 of 52719, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
holdencars11 wrote on 2022-05-01, 11:56:

You can get Joysticks for $1?? Here they are going between $15 -20 and similar prices in the pawn shops. A similar '3d pro' gameport one sold for $37 on ebay only a few days ago.
IDK I use my Logitech Wingman Formula gameport wheel all the time without problems, and same with an IBM gameport gamepad.

...if not two or more for that amount. They've pretty much gone the way of the CRT TV, at least on ebay. If you keep something in a shop, you'll have to charge at least two digits just for the space and organization.
I assume the wheel works differently and anyway, wheels were rather expensive and might be some better quality on average. Gamepads with "digital" keys only are also trivial.

But, the example of the Logitech Wingman: My brother and I really loved that thing and it's an awesome design and cost us DM 40 back then which felt like a fortune for a toy.
(I had actually broken the generic joystick we had until then right off at the base, playing Tie-Fighter.)
Alas, that thing basically doesn't have a definitive, stable "neutral" position. The slightest vibration would throw it off.
Which makes sense since "middle of the axis" is just a random half-way spot on a cheap 150 Ohm potentiometer.
But that could be a real pain in Tie-Fighter - when aiming missiles, you had to stay on target for some seconds and the crosshairs wandering slightly off all the time was a major nuisance.
Can't compare many modern joysticks but some must have gotten that right.
Of course, you'd have to recalibrate that thing every time you load that game.
So, the few people who still have joysticks today, no matter how cheap game port adapters might be, they'd go with USB models.

Also, many consider used input devices some kind of icky.

Simplified economics dictate: The moment you've 10 items for 9 buyers, the 10th is worthless. Any you'd still have to pay five bucks for shipping...

OK, that was put in a stupid category, but I'd definitely have taken that offer, despite owning both the sidewinder and the wingman already:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Konvolut-4-Joysticks- … K-/334365264515
Sure, fancy things like the full Thrustmaster HOTAS set still sell for more, but basic brand models, bottom of the barrel.

I like jumpers.

Reply 44267 of 52719, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think joystick mechanics have gotten better, but you can specify a center dead zone in many drivers/utils now.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 44268 of 52719, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2022-04-29, 00:39:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-29, 00:34:
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2022-04-29, 00:27:

Yea you hook them on and twist to tension them.
And also pray you don't hear a crunch ^^

And to be fair, S370 precedes Socket A so many heatsinks just say S370 on them even tho they work just fine on Socket A.

I never planned to use these similar ones I have. The ones I have btw were all installed on Thunderbirds xD

They are fine if you use them on PPGA CPU's.
I mean they would look right at home on an ABIT BP6!

They do, indeed, but needs some machining to fit due to clearances https://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1469

Luckily I made a PDF while the images were still there ...

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 44269 of 52719, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just nabbed a Yamaha SCSI CD burner for 10€ and a box of sealed EMTEC floppy disks for 1€.

The floppies I'm not holding my breath out for all of them to be working, probably a dud or two, or more if worse comes to worst.

Attachments

• IMG_20220501_200236.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20220501_200236.jpg
    File size
    664.97 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The floppy disks and the Yamaha CRW8824S
    File license
    Public domain

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 44270 of 52719, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

He's talking about cheap crap. Cheap and/or poorly-made crap = crap. True for joysticks, true for everything.

Quality items which get their merits from actually being nice to use, hold reasonable value. Just as true for game controllers as anything else.

Game controllers are their own extensive and popular market, that began quite shortly after the advent of video games themselves.

Reply 44271 of 52719, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-05-01, 23:06:
He's talking about cheap crap. Cheap and/or poorly-made crap = crap. True for joysticks, true for everything. […]
Show full quote

He's talking about cheap crap. Cheap and/or poorly-made crap = crap. True for joysticks, true for everything.

Quality items which get their merits from actually being nice to use, hold reasonable value. Just as true for game controllers as anything else.

Game controllers are their own extensive and popular market, that began quite shortly after the advent of video games themselves.

Well, not quite. Or, it depends on your definition. Most mainstream input devices ever were pretty much cheap crap made in China, yes.
But, at least by their own claim, Logitech, MS Sidewinder or Thrustmaster weren't cheap crap. They were several times the price of generic no-name shit and of decent built quality. And yet...

I like jumpers.

Reply 44272 of 52719, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-01, 23:10:
He's talking about cheap crap. Cheap and/or poorly-made crap = crap. True for joysticks, true for everything. […]
Show full quote

Well, not quite. Or, it depends on your definition. Most mainstream input devices ever were pretty much cheap crap made in China, yes.
But, at least by their own claim, Logitech, MS Sidewinder or Thrustmaster weren't cheap crap. They were several times the price of generic no-name shit and of decent built quality. And yet...

What do you use to play Tie Fighter?

Also, if you have some Thrustmasters, MS, and Logitech joysticks that you'd like to sell me 2-to-a-dollar, that sounds interesting. I suspect you'd get a great deal of applicants.

Reply 44273 of 52719, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-05-01, 23:13:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-01, 23:10:

What do you use to play Tie Fighter?

Also, if you have some Thrustmasters, MS, and Logitech joysticks that you'd like to sell me 2-to-a-dollar, that sounds interesting. I suspect you'd get a great deal of applicants.

As I wrote, I used to play Tie Fighter on the Logitech Wingman, whith the annoying shortcomings, but I still had a blast, of course.

Around here, definitely some interest, sure 😉
But really, I don't know where you're at, but here in Germany, these things abound - meaning they sell for the minimal Euro or not at all in bay auctions.
Well, the basic models like the original Sidewinder or Logi Wingman. Of the latter, I have three by now. Plus the "Extreme" and the "Pro" Tempted to get the "light" just for the nice white plastic. 😉

So, fancier models with some quirks go for 20 to 50, but the usual fare, uhm, again:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Konvolut-4-Joysticks- … K-/334365264515

Quick sample of 1 Euro Thrustmaster deals on the bay, those are the last 90 days, afaik:

Attachments

I like jumpers.

Reply 44274 of 52719, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yeah, I got one of those €1 deals recently, and then the seller just cancelled the sale without comment and doesn't reply, so good luck 😉

ebay really has an amazing system there, where you can't even leave feedback if the sale got cancelled, and the buyer has no say in it, I hadn't payed yet at the time cause I was sound asleep when the auction ended, so the seller had a few hours before I got up and checked.

Reply 44275 of 52719, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2022-05-01, 23:35:

yeah, I got one of those €1 deals recently, and then the seller just cancelled the sale without comment and doesn't reply, so good luck 😉

Oh, they're allowed to do that without serious repercussions?!?

I buy 1 Euro Items all the time, including some that used to be in the 500 € range when new, like video equipment.
(I bought a Voodoo 3000 for a Euro, but some years ago...)
Took delivery of a 1 € Thrustmaster joystick on Saturday, that came without anything else, just that plus shipping.
Sorry you had such bad luck with nasty people... I mean, that's the Ebay promise, one buck can be enough, isn't it?

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

I like jumpers.

Reply 44276 of 52719, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-01, 23:21:

So, fancier models with some quirks go for 20 to 50

Or, quality gear still costs.

Not bad. Where I am, the market would = an insta-$10 (each) for the Precision Pro and Logitech, at least.

Quick sample of 1 Euro Thrustmaster deals on the bay, those are the last 90 days, afaik:

And the native DOS, gameport $1 Thrustmasters?

What you've posted there above is, yes, just cheap digital Win9x-and-above (or console, in some instances) "crap".

Reply 44277 of 52719, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-05-02, 00:28:

What you've posted there above is, yes, just cheap digital Win9x-and-above (or console, in some instances) "crap".

OK, I don't know my Thrustmasters that well, just made a random search, did not check the specs. You may be right that those are not old enough to be of any value "again".
Then again, the Thrustmaster stick I got last week was certainly "native DOS" - but sadly, still looks and feels like pretty cheap crap.
But, on the other hand - I bought that after it had run out three times, so even the one Euro is a shaky assessment...
Are you in the US? Everything is more expensive there and mainly, for many things, the market seems to have been swept completely while in Europe there's still a bit of a oversupply.
Voodoo cards or SB64 are the same "+3000 %" mess over here.

I like jumpers.

Reply 44278 of 52719, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-02, 00:39:
OK, I don't know my Thrustmasters that well, just made a random search, did not check the specs. You may be right that those are […]
Show full quote
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-05-02, 00:28:

OK, I don't know my Thrustmasters that well, just made a random search, did not check the specs. You may be right that those are not old enough to be of any value "again".
Then again, the Thrustmaster stick I got last week was certainly "native DOS" - but sadly, still looks and feels like pretty cheap crap.
But, on the other hand - I bought that after it had run out three times, so even the one Euro is a shaky assessment...
Are you in the US? Everything is more expensive there and mainly, for many things, the market seems to have been swept completely while in Europe there's still a bit of a oversupply.
Voodoo cards or SB64 are the same "+3000 %" mess over here.

Yeah that stick you got is rubbish. I mean, subjectively. I'm sure it could be put to some use. But it's a far cry from what people mean when they talk about the iconic Thrustmaster days of yore.

I totally agree with you that most old joysticks are $1 rubbish. Because most old everything is $1 rubbish. Fact remains that, as with everything, there's a slim core of vaguely agreed-upon "outstanding products" out there, which retain some value through specific purpose and merit.

Even deeper, there are sub-niches where people have to search far and wide before they're able to find an ideal controller. Quite far from the utopia of $1-crap freely raining down for all, it's more of a long term mission, where sometimes even (gasp) !dozens! of $ are spent 😉

Reply 44279 of 52719, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-04-30, 20:45:
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-04-30, 17:01:

Some LCDs have a pretty good built in scaler.

And there are also external scaler boxes. The good ones aren't cheap and most of the best ones are no longer manufactured. I've got a couple of the TVOne scalers that allow you to adjust every single parameter possible and they also have a ton of included settings.

Programming is done with a utility program.

I worry about the added latency of a scaler.

There is no noticeable latency from what I can tell.

Have you ever tried a good scaler?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK