Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 45260 of 52352, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CrFr wrote on 2022-06-20, 11:58:

Sealed copy of OS/2 3.0 in finnish language. I'm tempted to open and try installing it, but then it wouldn't be sealed anymore 😁 I've never used OS/2.

os2.jpg

You need a compatible sound card and video card.
Make sure you have compatible hardware.

Reply 45261 of 52352, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sealed copy of OS/2 3.0 in finnish language. I'm tempted to open and try installing it, but then it wouldn't be sealed anymore 😁 I've never used OS/2.

os2.jpg

I don't see this having much value outside of Finland.
Sealed or not is all an internal matter.
If you want it sealed keep it sealed or simply download the finnish version.

Unfortunately it is like italian, spanish or french. Localized versions are less attractive.
Unofficial SPs or updates usually are all in english.

It's a hard choice, I feel that.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 45262 of 52352, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

os2.jpg

Warp 3 was my main OS between 95-97. It was the OS that got me on the Internet. It changed my life forever.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 45263 of 52352, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good points Nexxen. I think I'll keep it sealed and download an English version for testing. It is still cool to have unopened box in shelf for display purposes, even if it is not very valuable.

Reply 45264 of 52352, by abrunetto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I found this MDA card with HMc HM6311.
It is certainly a MDA card (hercules clon?), but it has a lot of jumpers... could be possible that this card is also a CGA card?

Regards,
Ariek

Attachments

Reply 45265 of 52352, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CrFr wrote on 2022-06-20, 14:40:

Good points Nexxen. I think I'll keep it sealed and download an English version for testing. It is still cool to have unopened box in shelf for display purposes, even if it is not very valuable.

Dude, that is the awesome part of collecting: sealed on display. Some ppl have whole shelves with LED lights and all the pimping... And IT IS wow! 😀
It freezes my heart when I see people getting goods shipped with huge company stickers on the original box cellophane, all because the seller was a sloppy moron that couldn't put it in a cardboard box.

Ok, you can buy some new heat-shrinkable material to reseal the thing, but sometimes you have original stickers that can't be removed and put back.
Nostalgia mode off.

I have some Win 3.11 floppies, but in italian and french. Market value close to nil.
Win95 in english: in a few years I'll buy a new house. (joke)

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 45266 of 52352, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got new stuff from 2 sellers. Spend 70 euro for them, instead of 35-40 as usual.. But i will sell everything else aside from the 3Dfx cards so they will be for free. The stock box for the ASUS P2B is nice to have as i have perfect board, if no one buys it, i will just put the ASUS P3B-F inside instead... All the 3Dfx cards seems very well preserverd how nice, i hate to watch trashed and sad looking HW... Someone did even cool the upper 3Dfx chip on the second Voodoo I . Is funny when looking on the back of the Voodoo 1, they have warranty sticker "1 year warranty" 🤣 so many years of warranty kekw .... Not sure for the brand of that Banshee seems NOname.. Does not appear to be innoVision Mightly Banshee, or Guillemot MaxiGamer Phoenix Banshee.... That Fast Media card Philips appears to be Video Capture card of some sort..

Parts list:

3Dfx Voodoo I Sky 3D
3Dfx Voodoo I Sky 3D + cooling
3Dfx Voodoo Banshee

Fast Multimedia AG Philips ISA
AMPtron PII-2300
Celeron 366/66 SLot
Quantum FireBall ST 6.4GB
ASUS Radeon 9550 (with rust)
Compaq AT PSU (seems blown up)
AMD Sempron 2300+
ASSrock K7S41GX

EPoX 8RDA+ Pro box
ASUS P2B box

20220620_175659.jpg
Filename
20220620_175659.jpg
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20220620_174003.jpg
Filename
20220620_174003.jpg
File size
1.84 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And ofc the stars of the whole operation...

20220620_182706.jpg
Filename
20220620_182706.jpg
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The box will fit well on this mobo...

IMG_20160403_181052.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160403_181052.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 45268 of 52352, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-06-20, 07:38:
Ahh very nice, let us know how you like it :) […]
Show full quote
Bancho wrote on 2022-06-19, 16:05:
I've been after a Audio Capture interface for a while now but i'm a cheap ass, but this popped up and got it for £25. Its a Rola […]
Show full quote

I've been after a Audio Capture interface for a while now but i'm a cheap ass, but this popped up and got it for £25. Its a Roland UA-25 which is quite old, but I've got it working on Win 10 21h2 and it works flawlessly. It captures both Analogue and Digital which is what i was looking for and has Midi also.

Plan to record some audio from AWE32 EMU8000/OPL3 (Digital), EWS64XL and Wavetable Boards (Digital) and some Midi Modules.

FoAbWp9l.jpg

Ahh very nice, let us know how you like it 😀

I've owned a Behringer UMC22 as my main DAC for playing/recording guitar for a while now. It's a similar dual channel DAC so I can record from stereo sources with it but equalizing the gain on the two channels is a bitch (you can not link them) so when I saw a near mint Behringer UCA222 in box with manuals and software for sale for 12 bucks locally I just grabbed it. This should make recording from retro computers as well as from casette and LPs sooo much easier!

I'll post photos once I get it in the mail.

I'm really quite happy with it for what I paid. As you mentioned about your current interface, this has separate controls for L/R which you can't lock together its not a deal breaker though for me. I plan to use this to record stuff offthe Miditech PianoBox and the Kawai LX XC3 GM Midi Modules as there doesn't seem to be much audio recorded from these modules.

Here is a recording of Decent straight into Audacity with no adjustments. Think it sounds quite good!

Attachments

• Filename
    Descent.ogg
    File size
    4.31 MiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File comment
    Descent - Pianobox
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 45269 of 52352, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dont know about any rainbows in here, but there is for sure a Batmobile (need to invest to have Batwing too, Batcopter, Batcycle..) in there... You need to be like "i am BATMAAANNNN the
Christian Bale voice you know 🤣" then you will have also rainbow with, a leprechaun with pot of gold (or 3DFx cards, or GUS, or Intel 4004) under the rainbow for u as well...

someone-said-you-sound-like-an-owl-who-batman-robin.jpg
Filename
someone-said-you-sound-like-an-owl-who-batman-robin.jpg
File size
76.23 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Jokes aside..
Well i did read this some time ago and sems to be true ppl says "when someone is looking for something, he will find it" and that is what it happens... Just look into ur local AD sites, specially the HW place, but check every day at least 3 times you will find stuff. Or thrift stores, or garage sales if there is any, or a gypsy market, i saw good stuff in such markets as well, but i dont go there these days prefer to get stuff from ppl that did preserve them over the years... But i get mostly stuff from the x2 local AD sites and it works very well, so try that and check ADs on every 3-4 hours you will eventually find some good stuff. Also since i find alot of things everything i dont need i sell, and that refunds alot of what i did spend, making what i have free of charge..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvM82T3C2Ik&t … &ab_channel=LGR

For sure on this Computer Reset there was a TON of interesting stuff, but was only for americans, since no one from EU or Asia will bother to go there just for the sake of looking all arround.. And afther the second LGR video, it appers most of the good stuff are gone... If i could go there like back in 2010 i was going to get 1 Zenith Data Systems XT machine, 1 IBM PC XT, an IBM Model M13, IBM Model M gen 0 Industrial Grey, IBM Model F AT, NorthGate Omnikey and maybe an GUS, Gravis UltraSound with the AMD chipset, and maybe a couple of more things, but these are the main ones... I am really really bih fan of the old classic and very well build keyboards, get them cheap, and use them as much as you want, they will outlast you....

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 45270 of 52352, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
abrunetto wrote on 2022-06-20, 15:21:
Hi. I found this MDA card with HMc HM6311. It is certainly a MDA card (hercules clon?), but it has a lot of jumpers... could be […]
Show full quote

Hi. I found this MDA card with HMc HM6311.
It is certainly a MDA card (hercules clon?), but it has a lot of jumpers... could be possible that this card is also a CGA card?

Regards,
Ariek

It is also CGA according to this https://www.oldcomputers.co.za/item/hmc-hm6311 though it seems to me it might have anough memory to do better than CGA too... but doesn't seem to have the oscillators on for EGA, maybe plantronics or other less common modes.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 45272 of 52352, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Only things people sell at local flea markets are old clothes, dishes, furniture, military stuff (commonly called militaria here) and such. Mostly things anyone else would instantly bring to waste disposal.
No chance in getting any computer stuff. Something from the good old times not even in your dreams.
Only way for me is some ad sites or ...bay.

At least today I seem to have found some nice board for just a few bucks: ASRock 960GC-GS FX
Look at the CPU support list: nearly everything from AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+ with DDR2 and DDR3 support.
https://asrock.com/mb/amd/960gc-gs%20fx/#CPU
It was offered as defective but seller said it just laid around for a long time. So I'll see. IF it works it will be a really universal test board and I can't help...I kind of like ASRock.

Reply 45273 of 52352, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember reading a story where someone said that they saw someone trying to sell and Apple Lisa for $5 at a flea market and no one wanted it.

This was a very long time ago, but long after it had aged itself into junk compared to what was on the market at that time, long before such a thing would become collectible.

Reply 45274 of 52352, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-06-18, 08:15:
mhm, why I suggested doing it in an open well ventilated space, even better if its a little windy. […]
Show full quote
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-06-18, 07:21:

Propane propellants can actually be very toxic in an enclosed space. See here for a story about a boy who died from too much canned deodorant.

https://youtu.be/RpZKdnOvNBo

mhm, why I suggested doing it in an open well ventilated space, even better if its a little windy.

As for why propane . .well Australia has one of the worlds largest natural gas reserves so propane is exceptionally cheap and plentiful here and education about not doing stupid shit with aerosol cans well known by early childhood. But kids will be kids especially indestructible teenagers and they think they know best, all we can do is try our best to steer them away from stupid destructive behavior and be there for them when inevitably shit goes down and they fuck it up.

Cotton wooling kids does nothing to help them learn about stupid behavior and the consequences of it.

A pich of parenting bigotry is much better than a pound of cotton wooling.

Reply 45275 of 52352, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-06-20, 18:27:

I remember reading a story where someone said that they saw someone trying to sell and Apple Lisa for $5 at a flea market and no one wanted it.

This was a very long time ago, but long after it had aged itself into junk compared to what was on the market at that time, long before such a thing would become collectible.

I saw one in the early 90s at $100 or something around there, was for me too much to spend on something so unsupported and useless at the time. Community support for old hardware on the internet wasn't a thing yet, the WWW was barely a thing to the public in general at the time, and really, only "current" hardware got many resources online until into the 2000s. (There were some newsgroups for old systems but they maybe got 2 or 3 posts a week)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 45276 of 52352, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This weirdo followed me home on the weekend...

It's a Toshiba Satellite R10 tablet convertible. Wacom pen digitiser system. Has the pen, though I think it's just resistive, so could probably use a PDA stylus. Means Dothan Pentium M class machines are getting heavily over represented here, but I've been wanting to give this form factor a test drive for years.

Very crisp looking stickers on the back and no screen scratches, I think this thing lived in a docking station, i.e. did basically "desktop" duty.. which is a little strange when you consider it must have been a couple hundred bucks over a "normal" notebook and a couple hundred more over a SFF desktop and monitor.

I haven't "got into" it yet, it's all passworded up, so have some cracking to do. If it was more normal, I'd do a nuke and pave, but not sure what special stuffs is going on with the winXP for tablet PC and wacom drivers etc.

Don't think it was fully in the rugged class, but it's getting there, solid alloy frame etc. Has an okay selection of ports for it's era. Battery does not seem to have life, I may be buying or building one.

Not quite sure this is gonna be very retro purposed, might get a higher speed nano wifi USB and be using it as a floating terminal with RDP or VNC to a grunty desktop.

This newegg page has specs https://www.newegg.com/toshiba-r10-satellite/ … N82E16834114204

Here it be...

Attachments

• toshconv.jpg
    Filename
    toshconv.jpg
    File size
    483.18 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Toshiba Satellite R10
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 45277 of 52352, by abrunetto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-06-20, 18:16:

It is also CGA according to this https://www.oldcomputers.co.za/item/hmc-hm6311 though it seems to me it might have anough memory to do better than CGA too... but doesn't seem to have the oscillators on for EGA, maybe plantronics or other less common modes.

Thank you for your answer. Is there any way to confirm through software or maybe an oscilloscope? I don't have a CGA monitor.

Best Regards,
Ariel

Reply 45278 of 52352, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-06-20, 16:00:

FAST sure were on point with their box designs 😁

hardware39_41.jpg
Filename
hardware39_41.jpg
File size
418.02 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

and speaking of batmobiles... I got this one recently ^^

hardware40_86.jpg
Filename
hardware40_86.jpg
File size
433.65 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 45279 of 52352, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OMORES wrote on 2022-06-19, 13:06:

This Seagate ST51080A 3.5 inch slim sexy looking hard drive (1GB) ...

Fun fact: the drive didn't work. (some strange clicking, but not the usual type) Usually I don't bother, but I decided to open it up... and something magic happened, because it booted up fine, with no strange noises. And I didn't touch anything. Found a bootable Windows 98SE with Office 95 on it.

I have two of them and one is clicking from time to time as well, but other than that it works fine. They are pretty useful in the smallest cases (cakeboxes and similar) which frequently won't fit half-height 3,5" HDD.

imi wrote on 2022-06-20, 23:14:
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-06-20, 16:00:

FAST sure were on point with their box designs 😁

Oh nice, Bruce Willis. 😉

I miss hardware decoders... the efforts and expenses you gone through to watch some 240x160p MPEG pr0n from some shady CDs ;D

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg