Topic actions

Reply 46560 of 52354, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2022-10-04, 16:24:
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-10-04, 15:48:

Nice found for sure.. Let me guess u did pay very good price of like 100-130$ since was listed as Voodoo III 2K.. Voodoo IV 4.5K usually sells for like 300-400$ i think..

Yes; something like that, heh.

That seller was prob a female selling her husband`s card and stuff rofl (happened to me couple of times one time i got MSI socket 462 Delta 2 Platinum for dirt cheap with original box, the husband was on work trip, and his wife decided to sell his "garbage" as she said... Other time similar crap the husband was away for some days cuz of work, and his GF did sell his collection, got cheap Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 cards from it and 1 slot 1 mobo ABIT BH6.. Yeah jesus these wifes and GFs they are are UNhealthy for collectors for sure..), or was someone that did not have much clue about stuff.. Two-3 times (since i have AD on local sites, that i am looking for retro parts all the good stuff u know) ppl message me, most of the time garbage and BS or low end stuff such as Riva TNT M64, ATi garbage Rage, Radeon 9200, MX440, GF FX5200 ect.. , but some times there are good stuff and great deals.. For example one time some guy sends me a picture of a part with price tag 5 euros, i click on the picture it was Voodoo III 2K AGP, i said ofc accept the deal, but asked him if he have more stuff (the usual procedure ofc) , he said maybe to give him 2-3 days to look in the garage, basement.. After 2 days he did send me pictures of another 3Dfx, but Banshee, some others not interesting stuff, but at the time he was aware for how much these cards ell in ebay, and wanted to cancel even the Voodoo 3, i got mad, but said to him that he did give me price offer i accepted, but not for the Banshee, so he send me only the Voodoo 3 for the 5 euros, and kept the Banshee for himself... Or other guy that saw me selling Voodoo 3 3000 for 80 euro some time ago (back when i had prices on my ADs) and did message me with his card and picture, with price tag of only 40 euro, i said that my primary idea was trade for other exotic parts, and that no one did buy it for 80 euro, + his card may not work, so i said i cant pay that much for potential scrap. Then he did offer me 10 euros, i said ok. ofc i know the failure rate of old parts is normally in my favor, most of them just work (aside from shitty ASUS), so odds are i tell the seller that the part may be dead, and they lower price alot..

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 46561 of 52354, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ynopot wrote on 2022-10-04, 16:40:
was it hard to find? […]
Show full quote
PcBytes wrote on 2022-10-04, 12:03:

Scored this nice Medion/MSI Geforce 4 Ti4200 AGP8x. Needs some cleaning and a bit of bicycle oil on the fan's bearings, but I have high hopes in getting it to work fine. 40ns memory, btw.

Any tips for the GF4 Ti4200? Anything I should be aware of in particular?

was it hard to find?

I also bought this a couple of weeks ago. found with great difficulty

I hope to show my build with this video card soon

videokarta_asus_v9280_64m_a_nvidia_geforce4_ti4200_64mb_agp8x.jpg
gf4ti4200_mod.jpg

Not actually. I was over at a repair shop and the guy had a shelf full of stuff like SSDs and the likes. On one of the shelves, there were a few old GPUs - this GF4 Ti4200, a FX5700LE AGP, something I assume was an X300 PCI-E, a standard FX5200 and that's about it. Paid about $6 for it so I'm not too sad if it doesn't work, though it looks to have been kept in good conditions - no broken SMDs or any funny stuff so far. It'll take a good while until I get home to test it on my ABIT BE6-II machine (which does deserve an GPU upgrade from the MX440 that's currently residing there.)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 46562 of 52354, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Second box of my Apple IIe shipment arrived. This one contained the monitor and fortunately it arrived completely intact.

Also included was a box of random disks with some... interesting software choices. I was able to hook everything up and confirm at least the system is working electronically. It's just the external plastic case on the Apple IIe itself that suffered significant damage.

At any rate, I've reached back out to the seller and we'll see what sort of resolution they offer.

Attachments

• apple_iie_monitor.jpg
    Filename
    apple_iie_monitor.jpg
    File size
    454.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • apple_iie_testing.jpg
    Filename
    apple_iie_testing.jpg
    File size
    375.66 KiB
    Views
    File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 46563 of 52354, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up a couple of Ensoniq Soundscape S-2000 Clones. Top one is the SPEA V7-Media FX and the bottom is the Reveal SC600. Both worked fine in DOS with the generic Ensoniq drivers and utilities, but I couldn't get either of them to work properly in Windows 95 using the Ensoniq wizard package.

I found the SPEA-specific drivers and those worked like a charm (Version 2). The Reveal SC600 drivers didn't even work with the SC600 drivers I had also tracked down. However, I noticed during the SPEA installation it had a selection for the FODSWFX1000 (release 1 version), which this SC600 is. It appears the SC600 is a clone (V7 Media FX) of a clone (Soundscape S-2000), at least as far as the drivers are concerned. Needless to say, the SPEA drivers worked... BUT I needed some of the *.C0* files from the SC600 package. The original Ensoniq package has these files, but they are compressed, and I didn't have the "Expand" utility handy. I didn't need it since I obtained the SC600 package, though.

Attachments

Reply 46564 of 52354, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-10-04, 17:12:

That seller was prob a female selling her husband`s card and stuff rofl (happened to me couple of times one time i got MSI socket 462 Delta 2 Platinum for dirt cheap

Spoiler

with original box, the husband was on work trip, and his wife decided to sell his "garbage" as she said... Other time similar crap the husband was away for some days cuz of work, and his GF did sell his collection, got cheap Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 cards from it and 1 slot 1 mobo ABIT BH6.. Yeah jesus these wifes and GFs they are are UNhealthy for collectors for sure..), or was someone that did not have much clue about stuff.. Two-3 times (since i have AD on local sites, that i am looking for retro parts all the good stuff u know) ppl message me, most of the time garbage and BS or low end stuff such as Riva TNT M64, ATi garbage Rage, Radeon 9200, MX440, GF FX5200 ect.. , but some times there are good stuff and great deals.. For example one time some guy sends me a picture of a part with price tag 5 euros, i click on the picture it was Voodoo III 2K AGP, i said ofc accept the deal, but asked him if he have more stuff (the usual procedure ofc) , he said maybe to give him 2-3 days to look in the garage, basement.. After 2 days he did send me pictures of another 3Dfx, but Banshee, some others not interesting stuff, but at the time he was aware for how much these cards ell in ebay, and wanted to cancel even the Voodoo 3, i got mad, but said to him that he did give me price offer i accepted, but not for the Banshee, so he send me only the Voodoo 3 for the 5 euros, and kept the Banshee for himself... Or other guy that saw me selling Voodoo 3 3000 for 80 euro some time ago (back when i had prices on my ADs) and did message me with his card and picture, with price tag of only 40 euro, i said that my primary idea was trade for other exotic parts, and that no one did buy it for 80 euro, + his card may not work, so i said i cant pay that much for potential scrap. Then he did offer me 10 euros, i said ok. ofc i know the failure rate of old parts is normally in my favor, most of them just work (aside from shitty ASUS), so odds are i tell the seller that the part may be dead, and they lower price alot..

Yea, the situation with angry wives and girlfriends is quite funny. But honestly, lots of collectors, end up having boxes and piles everywhere. After some time, wife simply lost it, because it looks ugly, and they see only garbage in it. When you have wife, you need to hide it very well, or at least, it has to be stored nice.

Reply 46565 of 52354, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
W.x. wrote on 2022-10-05, 01:19:
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-10-04, 17:12:

That seller was prob a female selling her husband`s card and stuff rofl (happened to me couple of times one time i got MSI socket 462 Delta 2 Platinum for dirt cheap

Spoiler

with original box, the husband was on work trip, and his wife decided to sell his "garbage" as she said... Other time similar crap the husband was away for some days cuz of work, and his GF did sell his collection, got cheap Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 cards from it and 1 slot 1 mobo ABIT BH6.. Yeah jesus these wifes and GFs they are are UNhealthy for collectors for sure..), or was someone that did not have much clue about stuff.. Two-3 times (since i have AD on local sites, that i am looking for retro parts all the good stuff u know) ppl message me, most of the time garbage and BS or low end stuff such as Riva TNT M64, ATi garbage Rage, Radeon 9200, MX440, GF FX5200 ect.. , but some times there are good stuff and great deals.. For example one time some guy sends me a picture of a part with price tag 5 euros, i click on the picture it was Voodoo III 2K AGP, i said ofc accept the deal, but asked him if he have more stuff (the usual procedure ofc) , he said maybe to give him 2-3 days to look in the garage, basement.. After 2 days he did send me pictures of another 3Dfx, but Banshee, some others not interesting stuff, but at the time he was aware for how much these cards ell in ebay, and wanted to cancel even the Voodoo 3, i got mad, but said to him that he did give me price offer i accepted, but not for the Banshee, so he send me only the Voodoo 3 for the 5 euros, and kept the Banshee for himself... Or other guy that saw me selling Voodoo 3 3000 for 80 euro some time ago (back when i had prices on my ADs) and did message me with his card and picture, with price tag of only 40 euro, i said that my primary idea was trade for other exotic parts, and that no one did buy it for 80 euro, + his card may not work, so i said i cant pay that much for potential scrap. Then he did offer me 10 euros, i said ok. ofc i know the failure rate of old parts is normally in my favor, most of them just work (aside from shitty ASUS), so odds are i tell the seller that the part may be dead, and they lower price alot..

Yea, the situation with angry wives and girlfriends is quite funny. But honestly, lots of collectors, end up having boxes and piles everywhere. After some time, wife simply lost it, because it looks ugly, and they see only garbage in it. When you have wife, you need to hide it very well, or at least, it has to be stored nice.

Get your own mancave/shed, it makes marital life much easier 😁

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 46566 of 52354, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this set of sound cards for total of around 45€.

There are quite a few interesting cards in this set that i didn't have yet.

One day... One day i'll find time to record all the popular FM synth songs with every card and will create a website with multitrack player that can play all of them and you can fade between cards. One day, i say!

Attachments

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 46567 of 52354, by janih

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote on 2022-10-05, 15:46:

One day... One day i'll find time to record all the popular FM synth songs with every card and will create a website with multitrack player that can play all of them and you can fade between cards. One day, i say!

Very nice. That isa card at bottom row center looks like a Rockwell RWA010 sound card: Anyone know about Rockwell ISA cards? (RWA010 and RWA030)

Reply 46569 of 52354, by janih

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to try some PC133 CL2 sdram so I ended up buying this lot of ram. Now I have a pile of these useless small DDR/DDR2 sticks 😀 Also bought a Asus V9520/TD/256M FX 5200 AGP. It might be nice for a SS7 system.

Attachments

Reply 46570 of 52354, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A few recent MIDI module acquisitions.

I'm especially curious how the Kurzweil PCR2 will sound in GM mode. The normal units don't have GM functionality, but later ones shipped with an orchestral add-in card with a GM sound bank.

It's the first Kurzweil module I've owned, so it will be interesting to see how it compares with other manufacturers.

Attachments

• midi module stack.jpg
    Filename
    midi module stack.jpg
    File size
    313.54 KiB
    Views
    File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 46572 of 52354, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2022-10-06, 04:50:

Scored a working early model XBox One (1540) for 20 CAN$ at a thrift store. It just needed a PSU and a compatible controller.

Not quite retro yet, I admit.

Well, you can argue that once you have Rare Replay and a bunch of old original xbox games installed, it sort of is a retro station.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 46573 of 52354, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And I was the seller 😁, hope all cards work and you can find good use for them.
Sometimes is good thing to clean collections and sell some stuff (so after couple years pass, you can buy same stuff with much higher prices again 😁 )

Reply 46574 of 52354, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A generic oem brand KM566A-AT with a Pentium MMX 233 and 192 MB of SDRAM.

My first baby AT motherboard. I do not have a case yet.
Aim of the project is build a period accurate PC with components of '96 - late '98 era.

Seller photos.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
312.73 KiB
Views
File license
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
439.97 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 46575 of 52354, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ppl gonna look at that AGP slot and chipset and say... "Get a nice triton II mobo for the 233 and stick a K6-3+ in that puppy." ... a little less common to find that chipset on AT form boards, though Asus did one. However, it's also the board to try wringing the maximum out of an MMX233.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 46576 of 52354, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrfusion92 wrote on 2022-10-06, 12:30:

A generic oem brand KM566A-AT with a Pentium MMX 233 and 192 MB of SDRAM.

Looks like a Jamicon motherboard:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/jamicon-mb-km-566a
Info on Super Socket 7 Motherboard (566A-AT)?

BitWrangler wrote on 2022-10-06, 14:58:

a little less common to find that chipset on AT form boards, though Asus did one.

VOGONS Wiki has six MB using ALADDiN V+ (M1542 northbridge on AT form factor), plus smaller brands / OEM not included: https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Socket_7 … therboard_Lists

Reply 46577 of 52354, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
psychofox wrote on 2022-10-06, 10:47:

And I was the seller 😁, hope all cards work and you can find good use for them.
Sometimes is good thing to clean collections and sell some stuff (so after couple years pass, you can buy same stuff with much higher prices again 😁 )

Amazing!
I can assure, those cards are in good care now - duplicates may find their lives inside some fully set up retro machines, cleaned and repaired to top condition. The others will be in a collection not just for show, but at one point (when i have time) get fully documented with audio snippets, original drivers' memory (conv) usage and whatnot. (y)

Thank you!

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 46578 of 52354, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-10-04, 23:26:

Second box of my Apple IIe shipment arrived. This one contained the monitor and fortunately it arrived completely intact.

Also included was a box of random disks with some... interesting software choices. I was able to hook everything up and confirm at least the system is working electronically. It's just the external plastic case on the Apple IIe itself that suffered significant damage.

At any rate, I've reached back out to the seller and we'll see what sort of resolution they offer.

The face on the Strip Poker splash screen looks like Michael Jackson in his later years to me .

Reply 46579 of 52354, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BetaC wrote on 2022-10-06, 06:56:
darry wrote on 2022-10-06, 04:50:

Scored a working early model XBox One (1540) for 20 CAN$ at a thrift store. It just needed a PSU and a compatible controller.

Not quite retro yet, I admit.

Well, you can argue that once you have Rare Replay and a bunch of old original xbox games installed, it sort of is a retro station.

Not a bad idea at all. Thank you for the suggestion.