Topic actions

Reply 47380 of 52747, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2022-12-25, 04:25:

Bought a Radeon HD 2900XT for $70.

Not a mind blowing price but these are genuinely rare (didn't sell well, super noncompetitive compared to say, 8800GTX). Took me 2 years to find my 2900GT for $55 so I'm glad to finally have the real deal.

I think it's a fair price. It took me a long time too to find mine. It was also in that range of price (it was an auction).
I think I never seen another one after that.
There is a quite cheap GT for sale in France (15€ +shipping) but I'm not really interested.
I would be interested by a 2900 Pro (the black one) but they are rare too. Or a second 2900 XT for a crossfire setup.

It's just a feeling I have, but think that high-end ATI cards are much harder to find than nVidia counterparts. (I'm mostly an ATI collector, so I may have a distorted feeling)

• Fury MAXX. Rare and hard to find at a good price (<$300)
  • Radeon (7200). Easy to find SDR version. I never seen a lot of DDR versions.
  • Radeon 8500. Hard to find a non LE / non DV / non AIW version. LE and non LE are exactly looking the same (try to spot the differences here : https://retro.user-unfriendly.net/Pictures/Ra … %20vs%208500LE/)
  • Radeon 9700 pro are rare in working conditions because of their flawed cooling design. (I personally consider the 9700 more significant for a collection. But if you prefer a 9800xt, they don't die because of their cooling, but they were made in smaller quantities, so expensive as well)
  • X850 XT. I see some quite often, so probably not super rare. (but the XT PE are hard to find)
  • X1950 XT are probably not super rare either, but the XTX are not encountered often.
  • HD2900 XT are difficult to find because GTX8800 were far better. So it was a commercial failure.
  • HD3870x2 also rare also because of GTX8800
  • HD4870x2 are less rare I think. Because they were better than nVidia 9xxx seriescand competitive with GTX2xx. Big ATI commercial success.
  • HD 5970 can be found without much trouble because it's not retro yet (and also commercially successful because competitive with GTX2xx/4xx)
  • HD 6xxx are AMD branded. So out of my collection scope.

I have the feeling that ATI is less collected by retro enthusiasts, but less available too. So instead of fighting with other potential Nvidia buyers, you just struggle to find the card itself.

Not sure if y feeling is correct. What do you think?

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 47381 of 52747, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also a lot less Radeons for sale around here as well. I have seen exactly one 9800 Pro (AIW) and zero 8500, 9700/Pro for sale, although I'm also not constantly searching for them. From the HD series onwards there are a few more options, although the bottom of the barrel ones are more common evidently.

Reply 47382 of 52747, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2022-12-25, 10:32:
I think it's a fair price. It took me a long time too to find mine. It was also in that range of price (it was an auction). I th […]
Show full quote

Not a mind blowing price but these are genuinely rare (didn't sell well, super noncompetitive compared to say, 8800GTX). Took me 2 years to find my 2900GT for $55 so I'm glad to finally have the real deal.

I think it's a fair price. It took me a long time too to find mine. It was also in that range of price (it was an auction).
There is a quite cheap GT for sale in France (15€ +shipping) but I'm not really interested.
I would be interested by a 2900 Pro (the black one) but they are rare too. Or a second 2900 XT for a crossfire setup.

It's just a feeling I have, but think that high-end ATI cards are much harder to find than nVidia counterparts. (I'm mostly an ATI collector, so I may have a distorted feeling)

• Radeon 8500. Hard to find a non LE / non DV / non AIW version. LE and non LE are exactly looking the same (try to spot the differences here : https://retro.user-unfriendly.net/Pictures/Ra … %20vs%208500LE/)
  • Radeon 9700 pro are rare in working conditions because of their flawed cooling design. (I personally consider the 9700 more significant for a collection. But if you prefer a 9800xt, they don't die because of their cooling, but they were made in smaller quantities, so expensive as well)
  • X850 XT. I see some quite often, so probably not super rare. (but the XT PE are hard to find)
  • X1950 XT are probably not super rare either, but the XTX are not encountered often.
  • HD2900 XT are difficult to find because GTX8800 were far better. So it was a commercial failure.
  • HD4870x2 are less rare I think. Because they were better than nVidia 9xxx seriescand competitive with GTX2xx. Big ATI commercial success.
  • HD 5970 can be found without much trouble because it's not retro yet (and also commercially successful because competitive with GTX2xx/4xx)

I have the feeling that ATI is less collected by retro enthusiasts, but less available too. So instead of fighting with other potential Nvidia buyers, you just struggle to find the card itself.

How about the 4850x2. Took me quite some time to find one (boxed).

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 47383 of 52747, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote on 2022-12-25, 10:52:

Also a lot less Radeons for sale around here as well. I have seen exactly one 9800 Pro (AIW) and zero 8500, 9700/Pro for sale, although I'm also not constantly searching for them. From the HD series onwards there are a few more options, although the bottom of the barrel ones are more common evidently.

For 9800, I have two crippled ones. ATI guidelines required that card labelled as "pro" used a 256bit memory bus. But some manufacturers produced "fake pro" cards with 128bit bus having R350/R360 chips. But I don't have a real legit 9800 pro.

I got a working 9700 pro at my third attempt. The two first had various issues/ artifacts.
I consider myself lucky as Aaron from YT channel CuttingEdgeRetro had his one at 11th attempt...

Murugan wrote on 2022-12-25, 11:00:
I think it's a fair price. It took me a long time too to find mine. It was also in that range of price (it was an auction). I th […]
Show full quote

How about the 4850x2. Took me quite some time to find one (boxed).

I never seen one. Period.
I even started to think it did not existed.
But it can be a local distortion. The card may not have been sold in large quantities in France/Europe.

4870x2 and 4890 are more common.

Reply 47384 of 52747, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quite possible. I have one and only found 1 locally (Belgium) and stupidly passed up on it.
Seen 1 on ebay in Spain or Italy for parts.
Not that I really look for it since I have one.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 47385 of 52747, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

9800XT most certainly DO cook themselves. They just don't cook the GPU core, instead they cook the insuffeciently cooled BGAs on the memory chips.

Going down that list:

Fury MAXX: Haven't been able to source one. Not willing to pay more than $150 for one.
(Adding this one) Radeon R6 DDR 64MB: The original launch model radeon. Not expensive (<$50) but hard to find because of the non descriptive name. The SDR and 32MB variants are really common
Radeon 7200 DDR: I have at least 2 7200s, not sure if either is DDR. I need to start making notes of memory type, not just capacity on my spreadsheet
Radeon 8500: I actually need to prioritize getting this in at least some form
Radeon 9700: I have one that is extremely broken. Missing multiple capacitors and resistors. I haven't actually laid hands on it in a couple years, next time I dig it out I'll probably order the shit it needs from digikey.
(adding this one) Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB 256-bit: I have one of these, and I didn't even know it was rare for the longest time. Has a different cooler and everything. GPU-Z confirms its a full 256-bit bus with 256MB of Samsung memory.
X850 XT PE: I bought a NOS PCIe x850PE from a eBay vendor for $55 about 2 years ago.
X1950XT: Don't have one, not rare though. I do have a X1900XTX though which has the same core configuration but slower clock and memory speeds. The 1800XT is also rare. It wasn't sold very long.
2900XT: I have a 2900GT and now an XT. I'd grab that GT honestly, its not a weakling and it does run the Ruby Whiteout tech demo fine.
3870X2: Yeah these are hard to find and they fail all the time
4870X2: They sold better, but have the same problem of having twice as many points of failures. I have one but it has white line artifacts in BIOs.
5870X2: Still pretty cheap and available, but same problem as above. I have one that I got for free, but I don't know if it works because its too long to fit in any case I have AND it has no cooling fan.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 47386 of 52747, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2022-12-25, 18:46:
9800XT most certainly DO cook themselves. They just don't cook the GPU core, instead they cook the insuffeciently cooled BGAs on […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

9800XT most certainly DO cook themselves. They just don't cook the GPU core, instead they cook the insuffeciently cooled BGAs on the memory chips.

Going down that list:

Fury MAXX: Haven't been able to source one. Not willing to pay more than $150 for one.
(Adding this one) Radeon R6 DDR 64MB: The original launch model radeon. Not expensive (<$50) but hard to find because of the non descriptive name. The SDR and 32MB variants are really common
Radeon 7200 DDR: I have at least 2 7200s, not sure if either is DDR. I need to start making notes of memory type, not just capacity on my spreadsheet
Radeon 9700: I have one that is extremely broken. Missing multiple capacitors and resistors. I haven't actually laid hands on it in a couple years, next time I dig it out I'll probably order the shit it needs from digikey.
(adding this one) Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB 256-bit: I have one of these, and I didn't even know it was rare for the longest time. Has a different cooler and everything. GPU-Z confirms its a full 256-bit bus with 256MB of Samsung memory.
X850 XT PE: I bought a NOS PCIe x850PE from a eBay vendor for $55 about 2 years ago.
X1950XT: Don't have one, not rare though. I do have a X1900XTX though which has the same core configuration but slower clock and memory speeds. The 1800XT is also rare. It wasn't sold very long.
2900XT: I have a 2900GT and now an XT. I'd grab that GT honestly, its not a weakling and it does run the Ruby Whiteout tech demo fine.
4870X2: They sold better, but have the same problem of having twice as many points of failures. I have one but it has white line artifacts in BIOs.
5870X2: Still pretty cheap and available, but same problem as above. I have one that I got for free, but I don't know if it works because its too long to fit in any case I have AND it has no cooling fan.

i have found a fury maxx at the thrift store in 2018. i should try it on my asus cusl2-c

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 47387 of 52747, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Windows9566 wrote on 2022-12-26, 04:40:
9800XT most certainly DO cook themselves. They just don't cook the GPU core, instead they cook the insuffeciently cooled BGAs on […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Going down that list:

i have found a fury maxx at the thrift store in 2018. i should try it on my asus cusl2-c

You used up ALL your luck in one go that day.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 47388 of 52747, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I collected quite a bit 9800 pros and 9700 pros a couple of years ago. Probably about three each and half a dozen 9600 and x800, x850. Some faulty which I promptly returned on eBay. Glad, I did as I had issues with Nvidia fastest win 98 6800gt at the time. ATI just worked and displayed simple things like flying windows screensaver etc without error. Also games like anno 1602 splash screen worked without turning off agp acceleration in directx. I just went all out on ATI fastest for agp/win98.
Now I know win 98 is sensitive to driver versions and the latest is not the best for Nvidia.

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 47389 of 52747, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote
Show full quote

Going down that list:

The MAXX should work with that chipset.
I had it to work successfully on 440bx, Via Apollo pro and SiS 735.
It does not work on most via chipsets. And not on i850 (Just in case you were dreaming of a P4 Willamette+ RDRAM + MAXX)

It works well in VGA mode in every motherboard. It's only until you install the driver and reboot that you end up with a black screen if your chipset can't work wit he Maxx.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2022-12-26, 05:03:
Show full quote

Going down that list:

You used up ALL your luck in one go that day.

I agree 😂 if something like this exists. Don't expect winning at the national lottery in the next few years.

Reply 47390 of 52747, by nach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2022-12-24, 16:36:
nach wrote on 2022-12-24, 14:37:
Yesterday I got finally a Toshiba Libretto 50M, the one with a touchscreen instead of mouse pointer, with no hdd but i had a cou […]
Show full quote

Yesterday I got finally a Toshiba Libretto 50M, the one with a touchscreen instead of mouse pointer, with no hdd but i had a couple of spare ones and I’m going to change it to a CF solution soon.

I struggled to have the touchscreen working on windows 98 but finally I got the “driver” and the instructions on how to make it work in a super old japanese “2 chan” thread and after a couple of blue screens it is working perfectly!

I’m very happy because i wanted a proper working one since long time ago and most of them have damaged screens or wirh vinegar syndrome. I paid 20,000 yens, expensive but ok for me.

Would it be worth to upload the driver (not exactly a driver but something called “Toshiba pen services”) to vogons drivers?

Nice! I have never seen a touch screen on a windows 9x system. I had very little laptop/mobile exposure until well into the 2000s.

I would definitely suggest uploading the software to vogons drivers if it's hard to find otherwise.

It works really great and is very accurate.
Unfortunately as it doesn't act like a mouse completely it cannot be used in win9x dos mode. It acts like a sort of alt+tab when touching the screen in a dos game and returns to the desktop.
The pictures are made in the japanese win98 but it also works in the english version.
(the

Attachments

• IMG_2275.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2275.JPG
    File size
    1.87 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_2274.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2274.JPG
    File size
    1.24 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_2273.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2273.JPG
    File size
    1.27 MiB
    Views
    File license

Roland MT-32, Roland SCP-55, Roland SC-88, Roland MT-90U, Casio GZ-70SP, Casio GZ-50M, Yamaha MU90B, Yamaha MDP-5, Panasonic CF-VEW212, TDK Digital Music Card 9000, Kawai Gmega

Reply 47392 of 52747, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
psychofox wrote on 2022-12-27, 02:37:
Bought this nice Acer A1 LPX board. Works, but sadly no riser board included. Are such slots standatized, is it possible to fin […]
Show full quote

Bought this nice Acer A1 LPX board. Works, but sadly no riser board included.
Are such slots standatized, is it possible to find such riser board?
20221221-194251.jpg

non standard, but considering it's plain isa, it should be simple enough to recreate it.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 47393 of 52747, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2022-12-27, 06:11:

non standard, but considering it's plain isa, it should be simple enough to recreate it.

Is it doable for a average vogoner? 😀 I mean i have little knowledge and experience i in electronics, (i have soldered a couple kit soundcards and stuff like that... )
Sure it is plain isa? This slot is about 10 pins longer than standard isa slot.

Reply 47394 of 52747, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
psychofox wrote on 2022-12-27, 08:00:

Is it doable for a average vogoner? 😀 I mean i have little knowledge and experience i in electronics, (i have soldered a couple kit soundcards and stuff like that... )

This seems to be a picture of it: https://acermotherboard.wiki.fc2.com/upload_d … 5d177ac534.jpeg

Linked from this page: https://acermotherboard.wiki.fc2.com/wiki/Acer%20A1

Maybe someone here would be so kind to recreate it for you so you can get a PCB made.

Reply 47395 of 52747, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
psychofox wrote on 2022-12-27, 02:37:

Bought this nice Acer A1 LPX board. Works, but sadly no riser board included.

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/acer-a1
Acer450s3.jpg
A1G version:
https://wiki.preterhuman.net/Acer_AcerMate_450s
https://www.phantom.sannata.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13197
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/acer/mb/a1g.htm looks like maybe A1 has GD5426 wired in ISA mode while A1G in VLB?
A1GX version:
f5d484a294b59a59032a256343e81389.jpg

not to be confused with AcerMate 450sp using very similar but better VLB/PCI board
http://sher424.ddns.net/hard/acermate450sp/DSCN0339.JPG
http://sher424.ddns.net/hard/acermate450sp/DSCN0348.JPG

does the board work in the first place?
one isa slot should be relatively easy (reverse engineering pins going to GD5426), more than one would require access to original riser card. There is no documentation for the chipset.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 47396 of 52747, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Given the data from the other posters about the riser, and the odd confusion one might get from some statements.
ISA is just a plain parallel bus, all the slots share the same signals. it wouldn't surprise me that the extra pins are just extra ground and power lines.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 47397 of 52747, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-12-27, 09:38:

does the board work in the first place?
one isa slot should be relatively easy (reverse engineering pins going to GD5426), more than one would require access to original riser card. There is no documentation for the chipset.

Thanks for these pics and links.
Yes, the board works just fine. Battery is of course dead but that is just a minor problem.
My intention was to create an custom compact pure DOS machine, mostly for pre94 games era. So i need just one ISA slot for soundcard.
IIRC i have an GD5426 ISA card lying around somewhere... so idea is i could just track with multimeter correct pins to ISA slot and then compare with MB?
EDIT: well my mainboard has GD5428 video chipset, this seems to be used mostly on VLB graphics cards.

Reply 47398 of 52747, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2022-12-27, 15:54:

Given the data from the other posters about the riser, and the odd confusion one might get from some statements.
ISA is just a plain parallel bus, all the slots share the same signals. it wouldn't surprise me that the extra pins are just extra ground and power lines.

You are right, I got totally confused 😀 no difference between one and 4 slots. Just need to figure out pinout.

psychofox wrote on 2022-12-27, 16:14:

IIRC i have an GD5426 ISA card lying around somewhere... so idea is i could just track with multimeter correct pins to ISA slot and then compare with MB?
EDIT: well my mainboard has GD5428 video chipset, this seems to be used mostly on VLB graphics cards.

20/’22/’24/’25/’26/’28/’29 all share pinout https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/1278054/Ci … gic/CL-GD5426/1 https://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cpu/item … bde46d07e52d14b
depends how its wired on your board, run a vidspeed and see write speed, if its ~3-4MB/s then its wired as ISA, if ~15MB/s then VLB Re: Good VLB card benchmark
GD542x requireds 4 F245 buffer chips to run in VLB mode, and there are 4 such chips on your board right between VGA chip and ram slots, so it looks like its VLB after all and wont help us with figuring out riser pinout.

but there is an easier way - Acer M5105
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Elitegroup_C190
https://wiki.preterhuman.net/images/0/0b/M5105-1.jpg
https://retrocmp.de/ctrl/testfdc/acer-m5105_02.jpg
https://wiki.preterhuman.net/images/thumb/4/4 … px-Ideplus1.jpg
Trace this chip to riser slot pins. You can also compare if it more or less matches with this riser http://sher424.ddns.net/hard/acermate450sp/DSCN0348.JPG

Make new topic if you want some help figuring this out.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 47399 of 52747, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found myself a $5 keyboard.

6AF701C9-D0EF-4F88-AB1F-F2BC58A7CC3B.jpeg
Filename
6AF701C9-D0EF-4F88-AB1F-F2BC58A7CC3B.jpeg
File size
1.37 MiB
Views