Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-12, 19:10:
Meatball wrote on 2023-02-12, 18:55:
..."stinking tower"... lol! […]
Show full quote
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-02-12, 18:48:
Buy it Now tends to bring much more reliable prices for niche items like the retro PC hardware because there are only so many bu […]
Show full quote

Buy it Now tends to bring much more reliable prices for niche items like the retro PC hardware because there are only so many buyers shopping for these items at a given time. It just takes research and\or experience to know what the item is worth and why.

If you list an item as an auction and two or three people who would buy it forget to bid or just plain overlook it, you could end up selling it for far less than it would have gone for if it had just been available to buy instantly or if it had ended an hour earlier, or maybe two days later. Listing it as an auction may get close to what some people would pay for it, and there's a chance it may go over what you would have listed it for Buy It Now, but it really depends on the buyers who are searching when your item is available, and the goal of the seller. Like you said, some just want things gone right NOW, and a quick search would get them a baseline price they could undercut to ensure a quick sale. Some want things gone right NOW and also don't have a few minutes to type a word into a search box and click "search", and that's how we end up with deals like that $35 Voodoo 5.

It is a bit baffling in this situation though because that seller also has whole desktop computers and other retro computing items for sale. Like... you're willing to pack and ship a stinking tower but you don't think to look up an item before you list it? 😮 It's not like it's an unobtainium part that has no recent listings to look at... it's one of the most frequently-overspent-on retro PC items.

Anyway... this is part of what makes collecting these things fun in my opinion. You just never know what you'll find.

..."stinking tower"... 🤣!

Anyway, to the seller's credit, when I contacted them to request the card be shipped in an ESD bag to prevent further damage (if any), they responded positively, and noted they should have "charged $134.95 for the card, but oh, well." Now there's some integrity.

Even at $134.95 it still would have been underpriced, though, supporting your overall point.

Not sure how they got that price, but yeah, that's good of them to continue with the sale even after realizing it was worth more. If they'd realized they could have blown the dust off and probably gotten $300 for it untested I don't know how they'd feel... 🤣

Honestly, if a seller suddenly realizes they listed it too low after I've sent payment, I'm not going to argue with them if they decide to cancel the order. I might let them know it feels bad and they should do their research BEFORE listing, but until the moment the carrier picks it up it is their item to do whatever they want with. I've gotten enough good deals over the years that I'm not going to make crazy demands about other people's stuff. Doesn't mean I'm not going to try to pick up a good deal when I see one though. 😀

Indeed. My biggest concern when I bought this card was the seller canceling. When the card shipped, it was met with gratuitous gratitude, relief, and excitement. I don't give the sellers a hard time if they cancel, though. My replies are always, "haha.. I knew it was too good to be true, and I understand the cancelation." The last time this happened was for that blue Gigabyte banshee still floating around on eBay for $319.90. The seller accidently listed it for $19.9o or something like that, which I bought, and they cancelled. The banshee's price was simply fat-fingered, though.

Reply 48001 of 52730, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Couple acquisitions this past week: AST Advantage! card with 2 megs of RAM, and an Epson GW-BASIC guide.

Attachments

• AST Advantage Card.jpg
    Filename
    AST Advantage Card.jpg
    File size
    524.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • GW-BASIC Book.jpg
    Filename
    GW-BASIC Book.jpg
    File size
    508.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 48002 of 52730, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always love the look of these cards with enormous RAM banks. Somehow they always get me excited, even if the capacity isn't all that impressive. It's always a mystery until I know exactly how much is actually there.

Reply 48003 of 52730, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-02-13, 00:01:

I always love the look of these cards with enormous RAM banks. Somehow they always get me excited, even if the capacity isn't all that impressive. It's always a mystery until I know exactly how much is actually there.

Oh Yeah!

What about my 486 motherboard sporting 16 30 pin slots? I recently filled it to 16MB using 1MB x 9bits chip simms only. That means 144 x 1mb x 1bit chips total.

😀

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 48004 of 52730, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's always more pleasing to me when I use more chips of anything, even if it's less powerful than something more integrated. I think this is definitely a common attraction for most of us here.

Reply 48006 of 52730, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-02-13, 07:08:

It's always more pleasing to me when I use more chips of anything, even if it's less powerful than something more integrated. I think this is definitely a common attraction for most of us here.

Exactly. I find myself actually preferring the AT motherboards with no built-in I/O, meaning more expansion cards!

Reply 48007 of 52730, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlessandroB wrote on 2023-02-13, 11:17:

This one… I consider it really gorgeous as a design.

I actually consider most of the early IBM PS1/PS2 design language to be very ugly. I always did, even as a kid, when these computers weren't even that old. It somehow felt dated even then.

Reply 48008 of 52730, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-02-13, 07:08:

For this reason alone I had wanted to use an older ISA sound blaster instead of a Live! or something, especially one with the extra interface connections, but it just never came around to it except for a single build using an AWE64 iirc (and an ISA sound card for my 486 which of course used an ISA sound card).

I have just responded in another thread about older stuff sometimes looking better build where the newer stuff was often lightweight and cheaply made. I used optical and floppy drives to illustrate this.

I think my most impressive ISA card is actually my ActionMedia II. Basically useless but holy cow it looks impressive! And it's heavy as well xD

AlessandroB wrote on 2023-02-13, 11:17:

This one… I consider it really gorgeous as a design.

It's not exactly my taste but wow, it looks like new! That's definitely aesthetic in my book 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 48010 of 52730, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I bought a Voodoo 5 6000 from ebay! It was very cheap, it costed me only my car and savings but it was worth it!

Just kidding of course. But I really wonder if the new owner uses this forum.

Reply 48011 of 52730, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is that the same one that I read about in the news? I know I'll never get one of them now. Oh well.

I quick ran out and bought not one but two Voodoo 5500s last year before they went too far outside of my reach. It was way more than I wanted to spend, but it's done now.

I wish I had gotten some of the DVI ones. Especially the PCI Mac card. It's not exactly what I wanted, but I'm still very happy with these.

Reply 48012 of 52730, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mrfusion92 wrote on 2023-02-13, 18:39:

But I really wonder if the new owner uses this forum.

Probably not. If he did he would have read all the posts saying that people should just get a Geforce 4Ti or high end FX series and run a Glide wrapper for the best 3dfx Glide experience possible...

🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 48014 of 52730, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was looking for a CT1600. So today this came in:

Attachments

• DSC_2801.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_2801.JPG
    File size
    1.64 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 48015 of 52730, by MadMac_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Someone local was giving away a massive stash of old computer parts, and I mentioned that if he had any AGP cards like a TNT2 Ultra I'd take them off his hands. He replied with "I have a Viper V550 and a Rage Fury MAXX." I immediately grabbed them and offered $20 (he was going to give them to me for free), but I figured he at least deserved to get some beer money for giving me some genuinely interesting hardware! Both are going to get used in my Pentium II-450/Voodoo 2 Windows 98 machine, and I'm interested to see if the micro-stutter on the MAXX is as bad as people said it was. My original intent was to use the TNT to replace an ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP, but now I may just use the Rage MAXX in single-GPU mode depending on which of the two I like better in the games that I play. No matter what, I am excited to give this oddball graphics card a try!

Attachments

Reply 48016 of 52730, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MadMac_5 wrote on 2023-02-13, 21:38:

Someone local was giving away a massive stash of old computer parts, and I mentioned that if he had any AGP cards like a TNT2 Ultra I'd take them off his hands. He replied with "I have a Viper V550 and a Rage Fury MAXX." I immediately grabbed them and offered $20 (he was going to give them to me for free), but I figured he at least deserved to get some beer money for giving me some genuinely interesting hardware! Both are going to get used in my Pentium II-450/Voodoo 2 Windows 98 machine, and I'm interested to see if the micro-stutter on the MAXX is as bad as people said it was. My original intent was to use the TNT to replace an ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP, but now I may just use the Rage MAXX in single-GPU mode depending on which of the two I like better in the games that I play. No matter what, I am excited to give this oddball graphics card a try!

Those are both awesome finds and only 20 bucks too

Reply 48017 of 52730, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mpe wrote on 2023-02-13, 17:36:
More TIGA stuff. I think it is Spea HiLite. 2 MB VRAM + 1 MB DRAM. […]
Show full quote

More TIGA stuff. I think it is Spea HiLite. 2 MB VRAM + 1 MB DRAM.

DSC_2285-scaled.jpeg

Been seeing so many PCI and higher video cards, finally an ISA!

Reply 48018 of 52730, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am excited to give this oddball graphics card a try!

Congrats man. 😀

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 48019 of 52730, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wonder if he later realized that Fury MAXX card is worth more than your average Voodoo5 5500....I have two of them a broken one from a scrap lot and a very nice working boxed one, I can confirm the cards are as picky about boards and chipsets as the rumors suggest. I have had great results with BX chipset based boards (AGP 1x/2x) and bad results with anything Via based...doesn't matter what the AGP speed is. Its for sure a fun card to play around with and I ended up just leaving it in my Slot 1 Pentium III 500 Voodoo2 SLI box where it seemed very happy.

There is a thread here on Vogons that has an archive with every MAXX driver released in it, its worth going through the newer drivers to find one that works with your setup, avoid the older drivers as they all have issues with textures.