Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 48762 of 52354, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Brawndo wrote on 2023-04-04, 01:01:

Just bought a NOS WD 30GB ATA100 hard drive. Will be perfect for an old Win95 PC with a 32GB hard drive limit.

Is that the 33.8 GB limit mentioned on this page?

Reply 48763 of 52354, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-04-04, 01:09:

I remember when I got a 40GB drive. It was enormous for the time and I thought that I would never fill it up.

I remember thinking that about my family's first pc and its 30MB hdd.

Reply 48766 of 52354, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Writable, removable storage (CDs) at 650MB! Incredible! Woah! DVDs are 4.7GB??

Now I look at Blu-ray and wonder if optical media will ever become a form of backup before again. They're all much too small.

Reply 48767 of 52354, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
danieljm wrote on 2023-04-04, 16:49:

For me it was upgrading from 20MB to 60MB. How could someone ever fill that much space?!

I went from 42MB to 340MB. That was whole another dimension. I could fill it up to 100MB and wondered what to do 🤣 Then came Win95 and 340MB was small again...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 48768 of 52354, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When Age of Empires came out, I bought it boxed from the store. I didn't have enough disk space to install it on my... I think 250MB hard drive with Windows 95. I had to delete every other installed application, and also delete whatever large files appeared to be safe to do so from the Windows and System folder to scrape the last few megabytes.

I was so excited, watching the little animated guys walk across the progress bar during installation. Only afterwards did I find that it required 16-bit colors, and I couldn't play it with my 256 color graphics card.

I was so disappointed! But I got it for Christmas sometime later, after we got a new family computer and did finally get to play it.

Reply 48769 of 52354, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dormcat wrote on 2023-04-04, 07:35:
Brawndo wrote on 2023-04-04, 01:01:

Just bought a NOS WD 30GB ATA100 hard drive. Will be perfect for an old Win95 PC with a 32GB hard drive limit.

Is that the 33.8 GB limit mentioned on this page?

No, the limitation in your link is a BIOS limitation. The limitation I was referring to is a Windows 95 limitation of max 32GB hard drive.

Reply 48770 of 52354, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-04-04, 18:44:

When Age of Empires came out, I bought it boxed from the store. I didn't have enough disk space to install it on my... I think 250MB hard drive with Windows 95. I had to delete every other installed application, and also delete whatever large files appeared to be safe to do so from the Windows and System folder to scrape the last few megabytes.

I was so excited, watching the little animated guys walk across the progress bar during installation. Only afterwards did I find that it required 16-bit colors, and I couldn't play it with my 256 color graphics card.

I was so disappointed! But I got it for Christmas sometime later, after we got a new family computer and did finally get to play it.

Man... 250MB hard drive and 256 colors in late 1997\1998. Definitely would have been hard to game on that! I'm afraid to ask about your CPU and RAM.

I will say though, the only reason my family had a decent computer at this point was because my brother was really into this stuff. I think his PC had a 133Mhz Cyrix of some sort, either 32MB or 64MB of RAM (later had 96MB in ~1999 or so), and a Rendition Verite 1000. Pretty sure he had an old ~500MB drive and a 1.2GB drive for storage. At some point in there he upgraded to a Pentium MMX 200Mhz too.

... if not for his computer (which changed over time from the Packard Bell he had in ~1995), the only other one we had around before 1999 was a Tandy 1000HX, which was nearly useless by this point unless you just needed to do some typing.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 48771 of 52354, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't remember what it was exactly. It was a second hand Compaq Deskpro with Windows 95, a floppy drive, and CD-ROM. It must have been at least a Pentium, because I think I played Quake on it. So maybe a very early Pentium.

I never used it for the Internet, and all of the games I bought worked fine up until Age of Empires. It was kind of a wake up call for me that my computer couldn't do all the things I wanted anymore. That's when I started learning about upgrades and other components.

Reply 48772 of 52354, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-04-04, 18:44:

I had a 1gb drive on my first PC. (486 DX4)

Your story of uninstalling everything and deleting files brings back serious memories!

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 48773 of 52354, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's what we had to do to play some games. Then when we were done, we'd backup save games and uninstall, because there was no free space!

I also remember boot disks. That was actually really hard as a kid. I would often get games to work with them, but I didn't know how to configure drivers when they needed it, such as CD-ROM drivers.

Reply 48774 of 52354, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-04-04, 22:47:

I don't remember what it was exactly. It was a second hand Compaq Deskpro with Windows 95, a floppy drive, and CD-ROM. It must have been at least a Pentium, because I think I played Quake on it. So maybe a very early Pentium.

I never used it for the Internet, and all of the games I bought worked fine up until Age of Empires. It was kind of a wake up call for me that my computer couldn't do all the things I wanted anymore. That's when I started learning about upgrades and other components.

The memory I have that is most similar to that is actually with a friend’s computer. He tried playing Sam ‘n Max, and on the first screen he went to grab everything off the dart board and we just watched the slowest slide show in the world. It must have taken literally a couple minutes for that little animation to play out. 🤣

He actually managed to convince his parents to by a faster machine, mostly so we could play the game.

Reply 48775 of 52354, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sellers pics. Its en-route to me now 😀

Slot 1 AT board. Nice looking AT/ATX crossover case.
Integrated speakers in the CDRom bay like LGR showed recently.

Says it powers on but they couldnt get a VGA card to work. Could be a fun project. Hope it survives postage!

Attachments

• s-l1600.png
    Filename
    s-l1600.png
    File size
    662.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l1600 (1).png
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).png
    File size
    351.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l1600 (27).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (27).jpg
    File size
    207.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 48776 of 52354, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LewisRaz wrote on 2023-04-05, 13:31:
Sellers pics. Its en-route to me now :) […]
Show full quote

Sellers pics. Its en-route to me now 😀

Slot 1 AT board. Nice looking AT/ATX crossover case.
Integrated speakers in the CDRom bay like LGR showed recently.

Says it powers on but they couldnt get a VGA card to work. Could be a fun project. Hope it survives postage!

Nice looking system.

I always want to know: What sound card is in it? 😀

Also, that interior pic looks like it was taken in the late 90s too. 😁

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 48777 of 52354, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love seeing those 5.25" speakers with "subwoofer" ever since LGR did an episode on one of them. They're so hilarious, especially since they appear to be stereo, but clearly will only ever be to one side of your head. I bet most (if not all) are actually mono with no actual woofer.

Reply 48778 of 52354, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Obv only right on a 4 bay case, top two, CRT, next one, speakers, under that, DVD player 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 48779 of 52354, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kixs wrote on 2023-04-04, 18:35:
danieljm wrote on 2023-04-04, 16:49:

For me it was upgrading from 20MB to 60MB. How could someone ever fill that much space?!

I went from 42MB to 340MB. That was whole another dimension. I could fill it up to 100MB and wondered what to do 🤣 Then came Win95 and 340MB was small again...

The first HDD I ever bought was a 345meg Maxtor drive for $360 from what is now Costco. It was amazing having all that space! I still have that drive.