Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 49320 of 52693, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-05-30, 01:19:

Besides, as mature PC users we can step out of the "utterest piece of crap in the known universe and gave my gerbil cancer" mindset of describing how it was a couple of percent slower on a review back in the day.

This is VT82C693A on extreme budged (pcpartner was priding itself on making bottom of the barrel hardware, they even manufactured for/with pcchips at some point). Not only it is ~1/3 slower than any 440BX board, but it will regularly crash while gaming on graphic cards actually using AGP features. Hardware reviews of motherboards with VIA chipset actually had a separate category called Stability or Reliability to reflect how often your computer will (not could, will) crash in "normal" use. This only changed with 694X/694T/TK133.

1/3 fps difference on same hardware setup 800EB + Asus V6600 using same Nvidia driver: 693A http://www.thg.ru/mainboard/20000410/print.html 440bx http://www.thg.ru/mainboard/20000503/print.html

There is no way of making this run sweet 😀 It was made broken but cheap. People at the time had a choice between good fast expensive hardware, cheaper&slower, and very cheap slow and sometimes crashing one, this is in that last category. Thankfully we no longer have to make that distinction past ~2003.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 49321 of 52693, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-05-29, 22:54:
appiah4 wrote on 2023-05-29, 08:11:

This is my first hardware purchase in maybe six months ... listed as faulty for about 10 bucks... PCPartner AP133MS3-C910.jpg

I hope I wont offend you when I ask WHY? This is extreme budget pcchips level garbage with worst socket 370 level of performance possible with bad AGP implementation, and listed as broken at that. Why buy something like that? I fully understand collecting old high end gear, but parts that went by the millions into supermarket "deals"?

Because it has AGP/PCI/ISA in mATX format. It allows me to test a shit ton of cards on a small open test bench. Also, Apollo Pro133 is not a broken AGP implementation, wherever you are getting your information you are wrong. It is slower than 440BX, but with 4-in-1 v4.35 it is stable with pre-5.xx nVidia drivers.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 49322 of 52693, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me, it's because some of the low end stuff seems to have the survival potential of cockroaches, where some higher end stuff dies in mysterious ways that eternally confound fixing. Besides, as mature PC users we can step out of the "utterest piece of crap in the known universe and gave my gerbil cancer" mindset of describing how it was a couple of percent slower on a review back in the day. Also not expecting anything and futzing around with a cheapie and getting it running sweet is far far more satisfying than the equivalent amount of time "fighting" something high end until it works how it "should".

another vote for low end stuff from me

your observation about reliability is right, i've wondered that too - low end is also made cheaply, it 'should' fail first

maybe its because a lot of that stuff just sat still in offices and homes doing emails, spreadsheets, card games and web browsing (if 'new' enough)

enthusiast top end stuff may get taken out and moved around a lot and get heated up playing games for hours at a time, that kind of thing

it's more desirable to have top end stuff but as you say - the relatively small differences in performance that seemed a big deal in reviews at the time don't really count for much in retrospect, stability and compatibility are the lasting features

Reply 49323 of 52693, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For me, it's because some of the low end stuff seems to have the survival potential of cockroaches, where some higher end stuff dies in mysterious ways that eternally confound fixing. Besides, as mature PC users we can step out of the "utterest piece of crap in the known universe and gave my gerbil cancer" mindset of describing how it was a couple of percent slower on a review back in the day. Also not expecting anything and futzing around with a cheapie and getting it running sweet is far far more satisfying than the equivalent amount of time "fighting" something high end until it works how it "should".

I Agree with that statement , since I moved onto brand's (compaq/hp/apple/dell/etc/etc) I never ever looked back.

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 49324 of 52693, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is my first hardware purchase in maybe six months ... listed as faulty for about 10 bucks... PCPartner AP133MS3-C910.jpg

I hope I wont offend you when I ask WHY? This is extreme budget pcchips level garbage with worst socket 370 level of performance possible with bad AGP implementation, and listed as broken at that. Why buy something like that? I fully understand collecting old high end gear, but parts that went by the millions into supermarket "deals"?

some of us like collecting no-name and low-end stuff. Personally I tend to stay away from low-end video cards, but I do like to experiment with low end, budget "garbage" mainboards and sound cards, as I often find boards that can be best described as a "diamond in the rough"

Reply 49325 of 52693, by nach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got today a Cassiopeia Fiva 101 and oh my god it is hands down one of the worst retro laptop pcs i have ever tried! I'm regretting buying it so much. I love the screen though.

in addition it had windows ME in japanese installed and i don't know if it is a windows me thing but i cannot change the resolution other than 640x480

Roland MT-32, Roland SCP-55, Roland SC-88, Roland MT-90U, Casio GZ-70SP, Casio GZ-50M, Yamaha MU90B, Yamaha MDP-5, Panasonic CF-VEW212, TDK Digital Music Card 9000, Kawai Gmega

Reply 49326 of 52693, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nach wrote on 2023-05-30, 09:33:

I got today a Cassiopeia Fiva 101 and oh my god it is hands down one of the worst retro laptop pcs i have ever tried! I'm regretting buying it so much. I love the screen though.

in addition it had windows ME in japanese installed and i don't know if it is a windows me thing but i cannot change the resolution other than 640x480

i was interested enough to look and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCehzK9D8CI

showing those DOS games and the interesting(ish) spec

suddenly it seems quite good! 😀

Reply 49327 of 52693, by nach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerry wrote on 2023-05-30, 10:25:
i was interested enough to look and […]
Show full quote
nach wrote on 2023-05-30, 09:33:

i was interested enough to look and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCehzK9D8CI

showing those DOS games and the interesting(ish) spec

suddenly it seems quite good! 😀

Hi, thank you for the reply. I watched the video before buying it.
On paper it seems very cool and like a Libretto with a touch pad instead of a pointer but If you are interested on a mini laptop please get a Libretto because it is x1000 times better and faster (although too fragile), and the Cassiopeia Fiva has no re-scaling so dos games run in a tiny screen as you can see in the video. I have to try installing windows 98 but with the installation the laptop came of Windows ME the screen resolution is capped to 640x480 so even windows 9x games run too tiny on full screen because can not change resolution.

I tried my "early windows 95/98" games i always try when i get a mini laptop like Destruction Derby 2, Virtua Cop 2, Jet Moto, Ignition, International Rally Championship and others and ALL are slideshow territory except Ignition 🙁
Anyway i think i will keep it for collection purposes. it is nice that you can boot with pcmcia as is, no need any card services to do it.

Last edited by nach on 2023-05-30, 10:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Roland MT-32, Roland SCP-55, Roland SC-88, Roland MT-90U, Casio GZ-70SP, Casio GZ-50M, Yamaha MU90B, Yamaha MDP-5, Panasonic CF-VEW212, TDK Digital Music Card 9000, Kawai Gmega

Reply 49328 of 52693, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought 975X mobo. So after recent 955X, that I had luck for, I have both Intel chipset premium boards. I cannot believe it, they usually go expensive and are quite rare. Never thought, I will have them in my collection, I was thinking about it recently, that I'm not willing to spend like 2 or 3x more , than on regular LGA775.
Luckily, handles core2 duo and quad. It's not standard, as many people (including me), think/thought. Today, when I've read old reviews about board, I found out, that this board had earlier revision, that handled only Pentium 4 EE and Pentium D maximum. And so other 975X boards. Which was quite suprising for me. So it's not like P965 chipset, that supported Core 2 Duo/Quad from the beginning.

I hope, it will come all right. The board is according seller funcional and tested.

Reply 49329 of 52693, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerry wrote on 2023-05-30, 08:01:

maybe its because a lot of that stuff just sat still in offices and homes doing emails, spreadsheets, card games and web browsing (if 'new' enough)

The "processing" chips were also often made on the same industrial process as higher end cards which were really run at the limit. So they are probably less stressed even under full load. The exception to that probably being cheap capacitors used...

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 49330 of 52693, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I collect also lowend stuff. The reason is, so I can compare them with midrange and high-end stuff. Motherboards and graphic cards. But I collect also celerons, which can be also considered lowend garbage. It's luck, there are also such people, because the hardware don't get scrapped. Imagine, everyone would collect ONLY highend and practical cards for retro computers (like for Glide, banshee is considered still ok, but in it's time, it just wasn't so awesome card as voodoo2).

The objected board is not lowend PCChips garbage. PCPartner is not PCChips, they made lots of graphic cards for Sapphire, later they united. There are not only top tier 1 manufacturers and rest is garbage. There are also companies that are in middle. Biostar boards , Zida Tomato Boards, etc... and among them, there is also PCPartner.
Lots of Octek boards were rebadged PCPartner, and they were considered like budget option, but not complete garbage. As I'm watching auction, Octek boards are quite fabourable, and same Zida. They always got bids. Obviously, they are liked by many. There is fanclub also for Zida boards... they even made page, for BIOSes, manuals, drivers...

You basicaly made from that board complete garbage, but I see it as avarage. I personally also avoid PCPartner. But I like Octek (many boards are the same), just because of nostalgia. They were very spread as budget option in price listings and many companies, that sold computer parts back in end 90's and early 2000. That's why I collect them. Funny thing is, I never got one Octek. I was always over bid on auction. While I won lots of Asus, Soyo, QDI, Gigabyte, I've never had lucky bid on Soltek, Zida and Octek, even when I've tried. So as you can see, they are liked by some people. I have so many Asus , QDI and MSI boards, that I am trying for variability. This is, why I would like to have also Zida or Octek, even in slot 1- socket 370 -socket A era. I had basically luck only for QDI. (I have almost every chipset QDI and I didnt was willing to take only QDI, but it was always QDI when I got something in computer, and have won low bid... Im "ill" from it. 😀 Advance 1, Advance 2, advance 5, advance 9, advance 10... all their boards, for particular chipset. I dont want to have many boards from every chipset, so QDI took my variability in collection, so I'm trying to avoid them for chipsets, that are missing yet (so I usually bid even less on them, so my all collection is not only QDI 😀 Also have those SynatciX, Brialliant-1 and Excellence (440EX chipset).

VIA Apolo Pro 133 is not very likable chipset, that's true. It came in times of BX, which dominated. First kinda "ok" was 133A and particulary 133T (for tualatins), because it contained very often ISA slot. But it's still better than first Apolo Pro and Pro+ chipsets from 1998. I don't see his board as compete garbage, and now, when prices of retro hardware is spiking into mad (particulary socket 370 boards are hard to get), I really understand his joy, and I sharing his joy, for getting even PcPartner socket 370 Via Apolo chipset board cheaply (up to 15$).

Reply 49331 of 52693, by Siggypony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aquired a new 486 motherboard with a 486SX and some ram today 😀 Broke the battery off first thing haha i cant believe it didn't leak. Got a 486 DX2 66 ready for this board 😁 Will make a good patner for my main 486. Want to LAN warcraft 2 between them 🤣.

Attachments

Reply 49332 of 52693, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote on 2023-05-29, 21:56:

This build with NexGen motherboard and quite not interesting parts otherwise inside...

I really like this case. It's as big as my modern LianLi Lancool III but I think It will be good suited for some ultimate mid-90s build. Maybe I will even leave the NexGen inside as it's board which apparently was originally installed in it.

Ooh. Is that smoked glass/plastic on the front? Makes me think of the late 80s.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 49333 of 52693, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
W.x. wrote on 2023-05-30, 12:39:

The objected board is not lowend PCChips garbage. PCPartner is not PCChips, they made lots of graphic cards for Sapphire, later they united. There are not only top tier 1 manufacturers and rest is garbage. There are also companies that are in middle. Biostar boards , Zida Tomato Boards, etc... and among them, there is also PCPartner.
Lots of Octek boards were rebadged PCPartner, and they were considered like budget option, but not complete garbage. As I'm watching auction, Octek boards are quite fabourable, and same Zida. They always got bids. Obviously, they are liked by many. There is fanclub also for Zida boards... they even made page, for BIOSes, manuals, drivers...

Indeed, I only have one PC Partner to go off, but it's a full thickness board and not so flimsy feeling as the same era PCChips, reasonable quality components rather than top or bottom shelf. It's a very early BX so no PIII support, but it's stable at 124Mhz with a PII, so must be a pretty decent build as you can find other make BX boards that don't like more than 115

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 49334 of 52693, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Honestly, PCPartner isn't bad - it just happens to be very basic feature wise.
And PCChips aren't absolutely abysmal either - as long as you find the good models.
From the top of my head, M577, M715 and M726MRT are a few good boards I can enumerate - the 577 uses MVP3, the 715 is genuine 440LX, and the 726MRT which I own is Slot1/370 baby-AT combo on the ALi Aladdin Pro II chipset.
A very nice little board, has somewhat primitive Coppermine support (iirc only through Slot1, 370 was limited to Mendocino unless you pinmodded the socket - no idea if that works, might try it someday, seeing I have to get two slotkets in running order.) but it's been pretty rock solid over various AGP cards and even under Windows ME no less.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 49336 of 52693, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2023-05-30, 18:04:

So the £50 Rage Pro Maxx arrived and is in working order.

Chuffed doesn’t cut it.

Hey congrats! I still have to find an AGP Parhelia 😒

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 49337 of 52693, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Minutemanqvs wrote on 2023-05-30, 18:15:
paradigital wrote on 2023-05-30, 18:04:

So the £50 Rage Pro Maxx arrived and is in working order.

Chuffed doesn’t cut it.

Hey congrats! I still have to find an AGP Parhelia 😒

Ah, seems we may both be fighting the same fight there! I’ve got a PCI-X one but not AGP!

Reply 49338 of 52693, by DW12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently I obtained 3 cool sound cards.
First one is a Gallant SC-7000 V2.0 with OPL4 onboard. However I have some problems with this card, can't get it to initialize in any of my systems. Will have to do some troubleshooting.

IMG_20230521_133509_HDR.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230521_133509_HDR.jpg
File size
1.81 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Other 2 cards are both from Labway and based off ESS Audiodrive chip:
LWHA111930 with QDSP QS1000 onboard - this card at the beginning didn't initialize either, but after some cleaning with IPA I've managed to get it fully working.

IMG_20230530_212344_HDR.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230530_212344_HDR.jpg
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

LWHA111800 with QDSP QS700 onboard - this one worked fine out of the box.

IMG_20230530_212448_HDR.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230530_212448_HDR.jpg
File size
1.62 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 49339 of 52693, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
This is my first hardware purchase in maybe six months, mostly because prices on old hardware skyrocketed for no reason all of […]
Show full quote

This is my first hardware purchase in maybe six months, mostly because prices on old hardware skyrocketed for no reason all of a sudden locally, and also because my attention shifted to other hobbies in the last few months..

But then I came across this listed as faulty for about 10 bucks and I went for it. All that I needed to do to fix it was replace the CMOS battery, so that was a net win for me. It came with a Celeron 600 which is basically useless aside from maybe as a testing CPU.

PCPartner AP133MS3-C910.jpg

I need identification help with this. It seems to be a PCPartner AP133MS3-C910 however that model appears to have an onboard Ensoniq AudioPCI whereas this one has it unpopulated.. Also, the jumper locations are different compared to the motherboard, so I can't be sure what it is, exactly. Does anyone recognize the board?

Yep. My bad. I added the 35-8932 manual in there instead of the 35-C932 manual. It's fixed now
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/pcpart … s3-c910-35-c932