User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
After years of searching: […]
Show full quote

After years of searching:

Powerleap PL-K6-III CPU adapter. My Compaq machine is getting the ultimate upgrade, providing it works 😁

y0012756-img600x450-1346509860kzi6db14591.jpg

If you change those leaking capacitors, it might work...

Reply 2081 of 52680, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sprcorreia wrote:

If you change those leaking capacitors, it might work...

The picture is in very low res, so I cross my fingers it is just the compression. I haven't received it yet.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2083 of 52680, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for posting that picture Scylla. It is most likely the sticker on the capacitor that is making it appear leaking with the heavy compression used.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2085 of 52680, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought last Sunday my long lost friend.Behold,THE K7VZA!
Got it for 10 bucks,and someone offered to give me a Sempron 2600,in excange of this board's original Duron 750 chip.I have swapped the BIOS chip due to original not working (Matsonic MS8127C+ BIOS)
Now I have to rule out the BSODs I get from trying to install Windows XP,and I'm good to go.Also,it has 512MB RAM PC133 (1x256 DS PC133 and 2x128 PC133 Single Side)

Attachments

• Filename
    Mobo.PNG
    File size
    833.09 KiB
    Downloads
    69 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    new bios chip.PNG
    File size
    617.43 KiB
    Downloads
    32 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    old bios chip.PNG
    File size
    773.93 KiB
    Downloads
    32 downloads
    File license

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2086 of 52680, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:

I bought last Sunday my long lost friend.Behold,THE K7VZA!
Got it for 10 bucks,and someone offered to give me a Sempron 2600,in excange of this board's original Duron 750 chip.I have swapped the BIOS chip due to original not working (Matsonic MS8127C+ BIOS)
Now I have to rule out the BSODs I get from trying to install Windows XP,and I'm good to go.Also,it has 512MB RAM PC133 (1x256 DS PC133 and 2x128 PC133 Single Side)

It might not be true, but those capacitors seem to be bad news...

Reply 2088 of 52680, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's wrong with them?They are fine.I had worse situations than that.(Albatron KM-400T-8X,a ton of missing caps,I was lucky to get it at least boot to DOS or something,it was called Modern DOS Machine back when I had it because that was the only thing I could run on it)

Reply 2089 of 52680, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Capacitor rot is a common ailment of machines from that era so even if the board functions fine now, I'd be ready to do a recap at some point because they will go eventually. Knowing that would also cause me to bid lower for motherboards and some other parts built around that time.

Reply 2090 of 52680, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's wrong with them? They are fine.

No they are not fine. On those old ECS boards, even if the caps don't appear to be bad, they definitely are bad... and due to a rather dodgy VRM design, it's extremely likely to short out some MOSFETs if you run it too long with bad caps.

Reply 2091 of 52680, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty weird.I had a K7S5A which I used frequently and it didn't die on me,even though it had G-Luxon,"the said so"bad caps.And even VRM MOSFETs didn't pop out.Only thing that annoyed me was it didn't remember CMOS settings.

Reply 2092 of 52680, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PcBytes wrote:

Pretty weird.I had a K7S5A which I used frequently and it didn't die on me,even though it had G-Luxon,"the said so"bad caps.And even VRM MOSFETs didn't pop out.Only thing that annoyed me was it didn't remember CMOS settings.

It hasn't failed doesn't mean that it won't, there is always a few that hold out only to have unexpected problems at the last minute. The best thing you can do for that board is new caps and the other is heatsinks for the vrm. Altogether it shouldn't cost you $20 and it would end up lasting another decade but possibly two if it is done right with quality caps. The reason why caps from that era are so bad is due to the impurities in the water before the electrolyte was added. The end result was that the water evaporated due to a slow electrochemical reaction between the impurities and the water. It doesn't happen all at once but over time the pressure gradually builds till the cap vents.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2093 of 52680, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I’d resolved to be content with the hardware I already own but of course I still browse eBay from time to time and was clicking the ‘buy now’ button on this before I realised what was happening:

SBPro_zps6d1be91a.jpg

New in box apparently - I’ll believe it when I see it. But it’s all there and there’s room for one of these in my 386. I haven’t received it yet but just looking at the pictures brings back some very happy memories of getting my first sound card as a kid – it was a Sound Blaster 2.0 but the box and content looks the same.

And this came up for 15 bucks which seemed like a good deal. It’s a Thurstmaster F-16 FCS with throttle and all of the relevant docos, drivers, and adaptors. It even includes the game card which has a little dial for adjusting the speed on newer PC’s. It’s all in great condition and will be good for hardcore flight sims. It’s a freaking big joystick though and feels too big for my hands. And it allows you to plug it in b/w the keyboard and the PC to allow for mapping key strokes to buttons, etc. All pretty involved, my trusty Sidewinder 3D Pro will be more practical for most things.

joy_zpsb2841b6b.jpg

Reply 2094 of 52680, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmofo wrote:
And this came up for 15 bucks which seemed like a good deal. It’s a Thurstmaster F-16 FCS with throttle and all of the relevant […]
Show full quote

And this came up for 15 bucks which seemed like a good deal. It’s a Thurstmaster F-16 FCS with throttle and all of the relevant docos, drivers, and adaptors. It even includes the game card which has a little dial for adjusting the speed on newer PC’s. It’s all in great condition and will be good for hardcore flight sims. It’s a freaking big joystick though and feels too big for my hands. And it allows you to plug it in b/w the keyboard and the PC to allow for mapping key strokes to buttons, etc. All pretty involved, my trusty Sidewinder 3D Pro will be more practical for most things.

joy_zpsb2841b6b.jpg

Nice find, seems like a good set for that price! 😀 If it's not too much to ask, could you perhaps upload the contents of those floppies somewhere, for example at vogonsdrivers.com? I purchased a similar set a couple of weeks ago, but unfortunately it didn't include any manuals or drivers/utilities and they seem a bit hard to find on the internet.

Reply 2096 of 52680, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No *really* hardware.. But very needed for align 5.25 inch drives

A got a really big bunch of them for 15 euro a whole package..
Has the alignment software included and also the disk..
I think your eyes are falling out of your head:

msym83.jpg

There is also one cleaning disk included and got IBM alignment disks also.. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Some of them where just sealed in box. 😁

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2097 of 52680, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that is COOL robin! The OLD drives (pre-486) are usually very heavy and well-constructed, but the late 5.25's tend to be made from sheet metal and lose alignment easily. I've dropped them and ruined them before!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2098 of 52680, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My last month buyings:

15zpord.jpg
AST RAMPAGE 286 MEMORY BOARD

2czthk.jpg
TRANTOR SYSTEMS LTD T-100 8 bit ISA SCSI HOST ADAPTER (bought is as spare part, it was really cheap for me)

2cdg7k0.jpg
Just because it was available, a NOB cleaning disk 5 1/4 drives

34do8zn.jpg
CPU cooling TIM just for 8 dollars (for 30 grams) (needed it for my next build (the faster win98se build, with athlon xp )

29krsed.jpg
some cache memory for 286 / 386 / 486 boards (was cheap deal, so why not)

6hsufb.jpg
TSENG LABS ET 3000 AX / ISA PORT / VGA & EGA

dont know how fast it is, but it isnt a very bad graphics card (i like it because of VGA & EGA support and the included drivers)

2gxputw.jpg
NIB WAS STILL SEALED INTEL Above Board Plus 8 Computer Memory Expansion
SPECIAL CHIP FOR USE 8-BIT INCLUDED!!! HAVE PICTURES MADE OF IT.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2099 of 52680, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

some cache memory for 286 / 386 / 486 boards (was cheap deal, so why not)

Heh, interesting coincidence, the guy had two lots of those listed... I got the other one. And yeah, the price was certainly right.

I also picked up an IBM model M2 keyboard at the thrift store today. I already have more keyboards than I could ever possibly use, but I couldn't pass on it for $1. Incidentally, that's probably how I ended up with more keyboards than I could ever possibly use...