Topic actions

Reply 2421 of 52722, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rgart wrote:

so Artex...I am wondering what will you do with your mountain of goodness

I'm starting four 486 builds and some of this stuff will go into them.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2422 of 52722, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rgart wrote:

so Artex...I am wondering what will you do with your mountain of goodness

put them in a tub and swim among them like uncle Scrooge, what else? 😊

Awesome collection btw, makes me drool

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2423 of 52722, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thinkpad 770 for $5 but not posting, Thinkpad R52 for board and cooler for $20, 160gb 2.5 wd ide for $23. Used the board from the R52 to upgrade a T41.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2424 of 52722, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

Great collection! Multiple copies of the same item doesn't sit right with me though... there's someone out there who might use/learn something from them.

Some of the dupes, while they look identical outwardly in appearance, they are not necessarily 100% complete. For example, one half of the pair maybe missing software, manuals, etc. Or, it could be a slightly different hardware revision - the Sound Blasters/Creative Music System pieces are good examples of this. One of the CMS boxes is a complete package with a CT1300A, the other is an almost complete CT1300B. Just as one of the Sound Blaster 1.5s has CMS chips, the other boxed version doesn't.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2425 of 52722, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
tincup wrote:

If this is just the boxed stuff I shudder to think of what else lurks in the "closet"... wow...

That gray tub is a 45 gallon beast that is filled to the brim with goodies in anti-static bags. It's gotta weigh 80 lbs.

... and the ones at the bottom are feeling rather crushed 🤣

Reply 2426 of 52722, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:
Artex wrote:
tincup wrote:

If this is just the boxed stuff I shudder to think of what else lurks in the "closet"... wow...

That gray tub is a 45 gallon beast that is filled to the brim with goodies in anti-static bags. It's gotta weigh 80 lbs.

... and the ones at the bottom are feeling rather crushed 🤣

Yeah, the ones at the bottom are those that I care a little less about. 😎

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2428 of 52722, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

just arrived:

IMG02498-20130731-1359_zpsbf064125.jpg

a very nice condition SC-55 mk1 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2429 of 52722, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hail one and all! \m/ 😄 \m/

New to the forum. I just started getting back into retro hardware (seems to be a something I do every few years), and decided at the end of last year to get into tone generators. I've managed to collect a few good ones in the past 8 months and some at (at least what I think), are good deals. One of the first units I got was the Yamaha TG100 for $3.00 with original power brick, manuals, and cables. After that I got an MT-100 for $14.00. The drive does not work (bad belt), but at least its a working MT-32 new. Shortly after, I decided to get an MT-32 old because I noticed some games have goofy sounds/notes with the MT-32 new. More recently I got a Yamaha MU2000 shipped for about $200.00. I had to do the firmware upgrade to make it into a MU2000EX, but all worked out. Last week I finally got my SC-55 in. This is the best deal so far, here is the link to the ebay auction I won. I'm really surprised that it didn't go higher considering what all it came with. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-Sound-Canvas-S … n-/290941189335 Only $5.50 plus S/H. A wet washcloth and both units look like new. I really like the warmth of the real SC-55 vs the GS map on the MU2000EX, but they are both fantastic units.

Last edited by Kodai on 2014-01-25, 02:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2430 of 52722, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a free rig today in almost like new condition. IBM Aptiva 2170 with the original monitor, keyboard, and speakers. A very basic SS7 rig with k6-2 500 and sis 530, the onboard sound is from cryistal (typical but not terrible).

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2432 of 52722, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjt wrote:

Amazing deal on that SC-55 Kodai. The last SC-55 I saw on UK eBay went for ~£75.

Yeah, even the seller seemed quite annoyed with how it ended. I wonder if I set a record low price for the SC-55 on ebay? $5.50 for a SC-55, SB-55, remote control for both units, rack mount for both units (with original feet still in a litter bag), studio quality audio patch cables, good quality midi cables, original manuals and catalogs, demo disks, etc. Everything you could want for an SC-55 for just a few bucks. I'm gonna be smiling for a long, long time over this deal. 😄

Reply 2433 of 52722, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I took a bit of a risk and bought this Sega Megadrive (Genesis) 1 from eBay recently - it was one of those listings with virtually no information beyond the picture, which in this case only showed a blurry mess of cables which covered most of the console. But it was cheap, and I could see the "High Definition Graphics: Stereo Sound" text on the top, which is the model I wanted.

I asked the guy to wrap the console individually, he didn't. And he casually mentioned, after posting it, that there were several “scuffs and scratches” on the item which he hadn’t noticed before, so I was prepared for the worst. But it wasn’t too bad in the end. Some hack had done a half arsed job at modifying the cart slot to fit Japanese carts – which is where the scuffs and scratches came in - so I had to tidy that up, but after a good clean inside and out it looks OK and works well.

That controller – which I also methodically cleaned – turned out to be incompatible with Street Fighter II, which is a shame because it’s a solidly built.

IMG_4140_zpsfaa5b1b9.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2434 of 52722, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nice buy. I love sega mega drive/genesis 😀

have you ever played the shining series?

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 2435 of 52722, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rgart wrote:

have you ever played the shining series?

No I haven't but I'll check it out. I had a Mastersystem as a kid, so the only game I've played in the Megadrive is Street Fighter II, which I played for the first time last night with a wonky controller and had my buns handed to me 😵

Very impressed with the graphics and sound so far though.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2436 of 52722, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Japanese turned based RPG's are not for everyone but I loved that series!

Try those mega drive games out!

Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force 1
Shining Force 2

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 2437 of 52722, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MEGA EDIT: the JBL 120Tis have been restored and are used in my home theater alongside with a single JBL 4410 as center speaker, so I include the new pics on this post. Also, all other pictures on this post were originally hosted in an image hosting service ran by sociopaths in Armani suit Photobucket, so I'm moving them into a new image hosting service.

A-pair-of-JBL-120-Tis-for-mains.jpg
The restored JBL 120 Tis, now serving as my home theater's front L/R alongside with a single JBL 4410 for center channel.

A-single-JBL-4410-for-center.jpg
A single JBL 4410 as center channel speaker.

Er, not exactly computer hardware, so I hope nobody would brand me heretic for posting this. Nonetheless, they are vintage hardware after all, and arguably gaming hardware if one plans to play games with these. Well I do plan to play games with these monsters. 🤣

So I've purchased a pair of vintage (1984) JBL 120Tis during the first week of Ramadan, which means about last month. Here's some specs:
frequency response: 35Hz - 27 KHz
sensitivity: 89dB/watt/meter
impedance: 8 ohms
woofers: JBL 128H-1 30cm cone
mid ranges: JBL 104 H 13cm cone
tweeters: JBL 044Ti titanium dome
max power handling capacity: 150 watts

jbl120-Tiwithcover-zps2defec4d.jpg
The 120Tis with grilles.

jbl120-Tisanscover-zps847179c6.jpg
The 120Tis naked.

I got the JBL for a measly US $500 from a local vintage audio store in Bandung. I think it's cheap considering that a used pair on ebay costs a thousand bucks, not to mention the S/H cost. Yes, I know the loudspeakers are cosmetically washed and require some clean ups, but functionally, they are flawless. I tested it using the store owner's NAD C326BEE amplifier (50 watts rms per channel at 8 ohm) connected to my laptop. I tested it using a lot of songs, notably the song Halcyon by Chicane. The bass intro is very satisfactory that I don't really need a sub. I also tested it using Dune intro running in DOSBOX, and the mid-bass is very satisfactory.

I plan to power the JBLs using a vintage (1975) Sansui AU-7900 integrated amplifier belonged to my late dad after I unearthed it from one of our family crates. Once he said the amp was for me, I think because he wanted me to be an audio enthusiast like him (although he was more car enthusiast than audiophile - filling the garage and the parking yard with his vintage four-wheel drives 😳 ). Subjectively, I think the AU-7900 sounds better than his other Sansui - the AU-717, but that might be placebo, probably because the AU-7900 is older. 🤣

Here's some specs:
power output: 75 watts rms per channel at 8 ohm
frequency response: 5Hz to 40kHz
total harmonic distortion: 0.1%

Sansui-AU-7900-Kreshna-Aryaguna-Nurzaman.jpg
The vintage amplifier.

Anyway, the amplifier is still dead now. The relay is intermittent: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When the relay works, the amplifier still sound flawlessly. Too bad the relay doesn't work most of the time, so I plan to get it fixed this weekend (if I have the time). People say intermittent relay is quite normal for an amp which hasn't been turned on for twenty years. 🤣

Well, now the bad news: I just haven't got the time to play games! 😢

Yup, I'll mostly use those JBLs for music, since I've been very very busy since May 2013. Well I won the contract, but it requires me to travel around Indonesia to accommodate the consultants and their assistants. Not really a bad thing, since I managed to slip out to see some fishermen doing their job at Bunaken island, as well as visiting a Hindu temple at Lombok. 😁 Nonetheless, we all work really hard in this project, so it means no games for me for a while. Anyway, it's also the reason why I've been disappearing from Vogons lately. 😢

(In fact, I've been down with influenza since the last two days - due to overwork. But now I'm feeling better, even the sickness fails to stop me from taking pictures of the JBLs 🤣 )

So, since I've been doing a lot of paperworks, and will do even more paperworks in the future, so I guess I'll be accompanied with these instead. At least you can work while listening to music. 😀 Besides, I love music as much as games. Even when picking el-cheapo multimedia speakers, I always go with the one with musical quality instead of gaming-oriented or HT-oriented speakers. Based on my experience, if it's good for music, then it will also be good for games, but not vice versa.

CDcollectionresized-zps887a147b.jpg
These will be my friends in the upcoming months.

But frankly, I do wish I'll have time to play THIS with my JBL. 😁

Or hey, how about THIS?

Or maybe THIS?

Or how about this, this, this, and even this?

🤣

Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2022-07-22, 11:21. Edited 2 times in total.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2438 of 52722, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice speakers! It's hard to find modern speakers with 12" woofers these days...there are 5.25" and 6.5" dual/triple/quadruple cone setups that can hit 35Hz (sans-subwoofer), but I still think they lack something compared to just using larger woofers. I don't know how to explain it other than it just sounds more natural and balanced.

Also, for about the last 15 years I've used this to gauge low end performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6ZrxO2jlwc 😁

Reply 2439 of 52722, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got a NOS remote control for the SC-55 thanks to the heads-up of a QuestStudios user 😁 😁 😁