Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 3060 of 52719, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Does anyone know a VGA card that has cloned image output (One can be DVI + dongle) under DOS? Or can the BIOS on this card be changed so it does clone mode all the time?

Yes, Nvidia Geforce FX cards do this. Might be possible on previous generations as well, but my Geforce FX clones image on both VGA and DVI output in DOS. It is my favorite capturing card for DOS. It has great signal quality, good compatibility and lets me choose between VGA and DVI on the fly.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3061 of 52719, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good do know Vetz 😀

I got two FX5200 which have VGA, DVI and S-Video. But I also have a Matrox (great signal quality) and a powered VGA splitter.

Guess what I picked up from the post office just now?

Emiz4svh.jpg?1

And the post office had a deal on this 2TB for $89. It's a LOT cheaper than ordering an internal drive. Currently running SeaTools (the long test) and will rip it out and put in my capture PC. That one had an old WD 500GB black which felt slow and not big enough for all my videos 😀

G9xaRlMh.jpg

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3062 of 52719, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not having much luck with my retro purchases lately 😒

First up was a NEC CDR-273 CD drive, 4X IDE. This is to replace a Pioneer DRU-124X which was really nicely made but had crap firmware. The NEC failed to read any discs and after opening it up I could see that part of the laser unit had broken off so the lens was at the wrong angle 😵 Superglued the broken bit back on and cleaned the lens and it's now working like a champ.

Next, a K6-III+ that arrived today from that seller in Germany who has lots of them. The CPU was packaged in a small anti-static bag in a CD case.

zryg.jpg
jogx.jpg

Hopefully they won't snap off when I try to straighten them...

Reply 3064 of 52719, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@bjt

ditch the old drives and use CDBQ to adjust a new one to whatever speed you like... all old drives after a while bite the dust. ...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3066 of 52719, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wondering how many more K6-IIIs that German seller has. Get in before they run out, just like with these NEC wavetable cards 😀

Dismantled the Seagate drive. Still can't believe it was cheaper than buying an internal drive. Let alone the postage. Plus I still got the SATA to USB 3 adapter and a mint 12V PSU 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 3067 of 52719, by MatureTech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that was "fun" ... first time power up the New Old Stock PSU that came in the New Old Stock ATX case and BANG! A capacitor immediately detonates.
Raidmax_inside.jpg

All of the larger caps were bulging--I guess this proves that plague caps go bad even if they aren't used--but the one that blew up was small.
Raidmax_label.jpg

And I was worried about the mobo not working... It kept on POSTing after the explosion. (And I hope it still will after I replace the PSU.)

ISA go Bragh™

Reply 3068 of 52719, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301031481589

Thought it was a good price for a PAS 16. CD-16 was a bundle that came with a CD-ROM drive and PAS 16, but I have stacks of those so don't need the original one that came with it.

Reply 3070 of 52719, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

Got a 25PIN male to male cable in today. Now my MIF-IPC-A works with the MPU-401 I got in from JP.

Roland's MIF-to-MPU cable isn't straight-through (the ground pins are cross-wired). I'd have to check the schematics of both the card and MPU to see if using a straight-through cable is really an issue or not, but it's something to consider.

Looks like you're already selling the pair though, so who cares, I guess?

Reply 3072 of 52719, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

$_12.JPG
Lot of 48 72pin simm sticks

Multi i/o with bios looks great and for less
DSC_7912_multi_io.JPG

DSC_0445_linkpro_hub.jpg
Link pro combo HUB for only 1 euro,10Base-T / 10Base2 Hub (TP und BNC)

DSC_0444_edimax_hub.jpg
Edimax 9-Port 10Base-T / 10Base2 Hub (TP und BNC)

(why no switch, is because there are no switch available with BNC i know off, and for only 1 euro its not a problem either, i want to link all of my retro computers together, so easier to share and replace the files.)

$_12.JPG

second chicony CH-471B motherboard, i needed this one to repair my other one i have laying here.. Need to measure the resistors on the VRM part, and want to try the new bios out on my older board.. So i finally can finish my older board to full working one with other voltage processors. The lot is with 32Mn FPM memory and AMD 486 DX4 100 8VSB.. ive got already some here.

ABIT AH-4T 486 socket 3 motherboard..

I think that would be the last board for now. Then i have about 6 -7 486 boards. one came with the cases i bought that an socket PGA 1.. The rest is all socket 3 boards. I have got now 4 boards with voltage regulators..

That would be:

Freetech 486F38 cpu auto voltage with Rev G bios (support till AMD 5x86 P75, and no y2K anymore)
QDI V4P895P3 / SMT V4.0 (wrote a new bios from the SMT 5.0 board)(now support till AMD 5x86 P75)(the older bios didnt work on the board, board didnt go on, so was dead on the bios rom)
QDI V4P895P3 / SMT V5.0 (support till AMD 5x86 P75)
ADI TK8498F/GP 4N D24 (only 5V processors for now, tested with an voltage interposer board till AMD 486 DX4 - 100Mhz) Iam working on it to support more voltages.
Chicony CH-471B REV 1.0 (missing the VR part, hope i can fix it with the knowledge of the other board i bought. Also hope i can use the bios)
Chicony CH-471B REV 2.0 (the board that is listed on the upper side) Does have the VRM part and maybe a later bios version the seller says it could do till 8.4GB drives, so i guess its the right bios that would solve any Y2K bugs, and i guess it would have better cpu code support (i hope it will do AMD 5x86 P75 ones too)
Chaintech 486 SLD motherboard - Now it would do only 5volt processors, bios is junk as well. So need to fix this board too.
Chaintech 486 SLD /SLP (have VR onboard and supports 5,4, 3.3 volt processors) Got the same problem that the bios is junk
Chaintech 486 SLE (Without an VR onboard, have the same circuit as 486SLD, board not tested yet. I hope i can use this bios for the other two chaintech boards and get rid off 2YK bug..
Abit 486 AH-4T VLB socket 3 motherboard Doesnt have the VR part too, trying to get it fixed on the VR part.

Thats all i have got on 486.. Time flies..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3073 of 52719, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really something I purchased, but I feel like sharing it with you guys (not worthy of a whole thread IMO). 😀
A few days ago a friend found an old IBM monitor lying on the curb near his house, since he knows I'm into this stuff he picked it up and told me I can have it. Not really knowing what to expect with something so vague as "old IBM monitor", I went to his place to check it out, and it did not disappoint:

dscn0958s.jpg?w=600

dscn0960s.jpg?w=600

dscn0961s.jpg?w=600

Considering I've been using a modern (2000-ish) Samsung CRT 'disguised' with an anti-glare screen filter for my retro machines (in lieu of anything better) I'm really happy about getting this one. It's not that old, but it's certainly got the right looks! Gotta love the curved CRT, boxy look, analog controls, and of course that IBM logo. 😵

Plugged it in and it fired right up! The tube is in really nice shape for its age, convergence is a little off on the bottom edge but I can live with that. Certainly worthy of a thorough cleaning:

dscn0964s.jpg?w=600

I found an exact match for the missing swivel base on an Apple Performa Plus Display I have lying around. Not bad!:

dscn0975s.jpg?w=600

dscn0970s.jpg?w=600

dscn0971s.jpg?w=600

That IBM logo seems to act like a magnet that attracts more IBM hardware 😜
dscn0978s.jpg?w=600

Overall I'm quite happy to have this as the new monitor for my retro rigs. Can't believe I now think of "doesn't support 1024x768 progressive" and "must retouch controls after resolution changes" as desirable features! 🤣

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 3074 of 52719, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks pretty 😀

I still don't miss CRTs one bit anymore 😵

My YouTube channel

Reply 3075 of 52719, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like the perfect tube for 640x480! I think these SVGA monitors are getting quite rare now, especially in this condition. Everyone tossed them out when 17 and 19 inch became the norm.

Max res is 1024x768 at 43.5Hz interlaced, I think. But you don't want to see that, really.

Reply 3076 of 52719, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to have a monitor just like that. Heck, I don't even remember what happened to it.

Good find!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 3077 of 52719, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

that old IBM stuff is just epic... I still bang my head for throwing away my PS1 keyboard, mouse and monitor... at least I kept the machine... but still a HUGE fail of my side, I blame it on youth 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3079 of 52719, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found another 386 motherboard AMD 386DX\DXL-33 (I think I might have more then I will ever need but I don't want to just leave it), and a nice Digital Venturis 466 OEM 486 system.
Wow I put OEM and nice in the same sentence but it is a nice slim case although it has a slimmer PSU then the standard AT one so that could be a problem if it ever dies on me.

It looks a lot like this http://hardware-museum.livejournal.com/125786.html except that it has a Socket 3 486DX2 and only ISA slots, most interestingly is that it has 2 ISA slots on the board one of which is connected to the usual riser that you see in oem systems but also another which would theoretically be for a low profile ISA card. No reason such a think couldn't exist just interesting to see an example of where one could be used. I can really see the appeal of such a box for laziness because it already has a Vibra 16C which is probably similar to what I would use and a network card so its more or less complete as everything else is onboard. The CPU doesn't have a fan though which may or may not be a problem at least it has a heatsink unlike the last 486 I found which looked like it had never had a heatsink which is sortof scary since the DX2 does get a quite hot.

Too bad it doesn't have an HDD perhaps its time to try a CF card solution (why are all the cheap ones on ebay 16GB instead of 512MB?????) I'd hate to spoil the almost silent PSU with a loud HDD.