VOGONS


Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 3100 of 37113, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Agreed! That OG 8-bit PAS must not have been cheap. 😀

Click [here] to see my collection of retro bliss!
Click [here] to see my "I just gotta have it"' list!
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3101 of 37113, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It wasn't anywhere near cheap. It's now the most expensive soundcard I own. Second is LAPC-I.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 3102 of 37113, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bristlehog wrote:

It wasn't anywhere near cheap. It's now the most expensive soundcard I own. Second is LAPC-I.

HEheh. The auctions I've seen for both have skyrocketed... unreal!

Click [here] to see my collection of retro bliss!
Click [here] to see my "I just gotta have it"' list!
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3103 of 37113, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Make some OPL2 recordings! 🤣
Especially with NOTE tracker since dual OPL2 makes it stereo and program would run in MONO because of OPL2. Would love to hear the result.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3104 of 37113, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More goodies for my man cave 🤣

Can't have enough of these lying around...

nroxvBol.jpg

Some HDMI / DVI 4-5 metre cables for capturing (Had to move the tower for a while). Local shop wanted $60 for one, eBay I got two for $20 😜

AAtq8CNl.jpg

Because they are cheap and you never know...

SAb3RA1l.jpg

Also cheap. The seller is from Australia and had a ton of CPUs for sale. Got a few bids today 😀

PmeI0IOl.jpg

Also can come in handy one day. I got a ton of Coppermine PIII chips to benchmark and add to the database. I hope they do what I want.

iQzzIe4l.jpg

LBfU6oUl.jpg

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3105 of 37113, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:
MediaVision Pro Audio Spectrum: http://geryon.ru/650-0002_preview.jpg […]
Show full quote

MediaVision Pro Audio Spectrum:
650-0002_preview.jpg

MediaVision Pro Audio Studio 16 LMSI:
650-0082_preview.jpg

MediaVision Pro Audio Studio XL:
650-0097_preview.jpg

Impressive haul of pas cards! If youve had a chance to test these...Which one of these has the best mpu-401 connection? All are UART right?

Reply 3106 of 37113, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

Make some OPL2 recordings! 🤣
Especially with NOTE tracker since dual OPL2 makes it stereo and program would run in MONO because of OPL2. Would love to hear the result.

I thought that Cloudschatze and schlang already did lots of recordings from PAS. Do you have something particular in mind?

Where do I find that NOTE tracker?

retrofanatic wrote:

Impressive haul of pas cards! If youve had a chance to test these...Which one of these has the best mpu-401 connection? All are UART right?

I have not yet tested the original PAS, but two others have MPU-401 ports (such devices appear in Win98SE device manager). PAS XL also has a daughterboard header.

I have no external synths and no daughterboards. However, I have a LAPC-I with MCB-1 and thus can perform some tests using it as an external synth. What exactly do you want to test?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 3107 of 37113, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bristlehog wrote:
Stojke wrote:

Make some OPL2 recordings! 🤣
Especially with NOTE tracker since dual OPL2 makes it stereo and program would run in MONO because of OPL2. Would love to hear the result.

I thought that Cloudschatze and schlang already did lots of recordings from PAS. Do you have something particular in mind?

Where do I find that NOTE tracker?

I have something particular in mind, yeah.
I want to hear how would the card perform while recording from Note Tracker OPL2 mode with its two OPL2 chips.
You can find the program thread in my signature (below the image).

If you could make some recordings of more demanding songs that would be awesome.
Also do check out the program any way its great, and it has a lot of amazing songs 😀

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3108 of 37113, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Also can come in handy one day. I got a ton of Coppermine PIII chips to benchmark and add to the database. I hope they do what I […]
Show full quote

Also can come in handy one day. I got a ton of Coppermine PIII chips to benchmark and add to the database. I hope they do what I want.

iQzzIe4l.jpg

where did you get that? I can't find a cheap one! 😒

Retro1: K6-2+ 550MHz | FIC PA-2013 ss7 | S3 Savage4LT 8MB AGP | 2x Voodoo2 SLi PCI | SB Pro2 ISA | 83GB HDDs | DOS 6.22 & Win98SE
Retro2: E6500K | AsRock 775i65G | Radeon HD3850 512MB AGP | SB Audigy 2ZS | 1500GB HDDs | WinXP & Vista

Reply 3109 of 37113, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need one of those, too... I'm working on a complex song in adtrack2 and this Katmai won't cut it anymore 🤣

WANTED - Manuals/drivers for:

  • Tecmar Graphics Master
  • Paradise Autoswitch EGA 350 (EGA1A)

Reply 3111 of 37113, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Guillemot MaxiSound 64 (Home Studio Pro)
ISA_Guillemot_maxisound_64_f.JPG.

Guillemot_maxisound_64_box1.JPG. Guillemot_maxisound_64_box2.JPG.
ISA_Guillemot_maxisound_64_r.JPG. ISA_Guillemot_maxisound_64_s.jpg.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 3114 of 37113, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I picked up this monstrous ATX server case recently because it was cheap, I have a penchant for new old stock, and I wanted to harvest it's PSU:

Wheels!
IMG_4871_zps83d93c1c.jpg

Super Power!
IMG_4873_zps1c717855.jpg

Drive bays!
IMG_4884_zpsd5b3886b.jpg

IMG_4876_zps6121c217.jpg

You could swing a cat inside this thing:
IMG_4880_zps03e30334.jpg

IMG_4888_zpsb7e3f017.jpg

With regard to the PSU, why does it have one half of an AT motherboard power connector? I've seen a couple of these lately, but why just one half?

And I also picked up this case, which came housing a very boring P4 based celeron system. Despite it's terrible internals someone loved this thing; the whole thing looked brand new. It was only 10 bucks so I grabbed it - the nice Sony drives are worth more than that alone, and these early ATX cases are getting harder to find in decent condition around here:

IMG_4891_zpsfad61838.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3115 of 37113, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up this monstrous ATX server case recently because it was cheap, I have a penchant for new old stock, and I wanted to harvest it's PSU:

Oh Jesus... that brings back memories. Not really any good ones though. 🤣
The one I had must have been a slightly newer version. It was a grey/silver color, with some extra fan holes in the side and top, but otherwise the same. Even 12 years later I still have a plainly visible scar on my knuckle from the damned thing.

And picking it up for the PSU was probably not really the best idea. Those Codegens had a nasty reputation for blowing up. I'm talking actual flames and smoke shooting out the back. Mine lasted about 20 minutes, IIRC. And that was when they were new... time has probably not been kind to the shitty capacitors.

To answer the question about that AT-style power connector, that was a fairly short-lived standard to give extra 3.3V and 5V current capacity. It was primarily used in RDRAM-based sytems, which tended to suck down quite a bit of power on the 3.3V line.

The second case is a nice find though. The old Aopen KF45. Those and the Enlight 7237 were pretty much the main go-to cases for a Coppermine gaming build.

Reply 3116 of 37113, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

And picking it up for the PSU was probably not really the best idea. Those Codegens had a nasty reputation for blowing up. I'm talking actual flames and smoke shooting out the back. Mine lasted about 20 minutes, IIRC. And that was when they were new... time has probably not been kind to the shitty capacitors.

To answer the question about that AT-style power connector, that was a fairly short-lived standard to give extra 3.3V and 5V current capacity. It was primarily used in RDRAM-based sytems, which tended to suck down quite a bit of power on the 3.3V line.

Flames you say? That could be bad for me, I'll bin it.

And thanks for the info on the AT-style power connector, I've come across a few lately and was wondering.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3117 of 37113, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also that Auxiliary connector was also used in Pentium boards and Server boards for additional power. The reason why i cant test my dual Athlon MP motherboard i bought for Voodoo 5 5500.
Normal companies like Tyan added an Molex IN instead of/alongside Aux.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3118 of 37113, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Roland SCB-7
DB_Roland_SCB-7_f.JPG.

Bundle with Creative Sound Blaster 16 CT2230.
ISA_Cerative_SoundBlaster_16_CT2230_f.JPG.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600