VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 7560 of 52730, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just got this today. Intel pba 689512 201t (socket 7) + 32MB ram + P100.

Dusty and overall messy, but it works just fine and will look great after some cleaning and general maintenance. Gonna put a K5 PR133, Ati Mach64 VT2, Voodoo 1 and SB Awe64 in it later.

CAM00176.jpg
Filename
CAM00176.jpg
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 7561 of 52730, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally found one of these...

20150510_150246.jpg

20150510_150301.jpg

Unfortunately there were no psu or cables but it didn't cost much. And they both seems to be pretty good condition, there was no dust or debree in the cases so I think these are working condition

Reply 7562 of 52730, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought a few bits and pieces on eBay. Amongst other things a DreamBlaster wavetable module 😀 Mostly for testing.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7563 of 52730, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just negociated for some old hardware: Diamond 3DFX Voodoo 2, 386 motherboard with 25MHz cpu and co-procesor + 4MB of 30-pin ram, eight 4MB FPM 72 pin SIMM modules made by IBM, a big PCI SCSI controller and a dual Pentium PRO module with two CPUs. ~150 lei for the whole lot (that's about 37.5 us dollars) 😁

ATT_1431271187766_20150510_181423.jpg
Filename
ATT_1431271187766_20150510_181423.jpg
File size
4.68 MiB
Views
File license
ATT_1431271181497_20150510_181431.jpg
Filename
ATT_1431271181497_20150510_181431.jpg
File size
4.96 MiB
Views
File license
ATT_1431271172895_20150510_181437.jpg
Filename
ATT_1431271172895_20150510_181437.jpg
File size
4.54 MiB
Views
File license

I'm very curious about the 386 board - can't wait to make a running system. I never actually used a 386 PC, since my first computer was a 586, so I wonder what I can run on it 😁 . I'm even more curious about XT machines - been wanting to get one for a while now, but I can't find a working system locally. I do have a working 386 laptop from Texas Instruments, but both the FDD and HDD are done for, and I haven't been able to find a replacement FDD with the same wide ribbon as the one in the machine. Besides, it's got a monochrome LCD and VGA-out doesn't seem to work, so I kind of lost interest in it.

The Voodoo 2 is either 8MB or 12MB, can't tell from the picture. It seems to be revision A, so I'm hoping it's a 12mb. The Pentium Pro CPUs won't be used anytime soon since I don't have a socket 8 MB...

The FPM ram is installed on a weird MB I've never seen before - I take it it's from an industrial computer or something.

There's also some Truevision vga card in there - as far as I can tell it's a capture card of somekind? Is it worth anything for DOS/Win95 games? I didn't negociate for it, but if it's something cool and I don't know yet, I could ask the seller to send it as well.

Reply 7564 of 52730, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The fact that the 386 has a co-pro makes it a particularly nice find. Nice haul for that price, particularly given the fact I assume such hardware is often pretty scarce in your neck of the woods!

Reply 7565 of 52730, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is indeed some very nice kit.

I haven't forgotten about that chip btw, and I will send it off as soon as I get chance. Unfortunately things keep getting in the way of everything I try to do these days.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7566 of 52730, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yup - first complete 386 I've found since I've really stared collecting hardware. I do wonder about the dual socket 8 card with the P pros and the brown motherboard with the 8 FPM modules on it tought...

HighTreason wrote:

That is indeed some very nice kit.

I haven't forgotten about that chip btw, and I will send it off as soon as I get chance. Unfortunately things keep getting in the way of everything I try to do these days.

take your time 😀 - i'm not in any kind of hurry 😀 I'll send you the pics I promised of my FIC-486-VIP-IO jumper settings for WT mode later today.

Reply 7567 of 52730, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That 386 board looks like a pretty old one. Look how many chips there are in the "chipset". More than likely it's a 286 chipset with a 386 bolted on. The chipset has 25MHz stamped into it, which likely means going faster than that is risky. Most importantly, there is no external cache, which will really slow things down a bit.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7568 of 52730, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

That 386 board looks like a pretty old one. Look how many chips there are in the "chipset". More than likely it's a 286 chipset with a 386 bolted on. The chipset has 25MHz stamped into it, which likely means going faster than that is risky. Most importantly, there is no external cache, which will really slow things down a bit.

There's a 1986 AMI BIOS chip, so it's definitely an early one. That barrel battery is a ticking time bomb as well. Still, at 25 MHz, it's a nice enough find even without the cache. 😀

Reply 7569 of 52730, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like the 386DX motherboard very much. I love C&T chipsets. Congrats on the find!

Anonymous Coward wrote:

No, its not a 286 Chipset. It can't be one because 286 CPUs have a 16-Bit external bus and the 386DX CPUs are 32-Bit external. However, C&Ts last 286 chipset, the famous NEAT chipset was also used in the 386SX line, called "NEATSX". The Chipset used here was the CS8230, a fine early chipset for the 386DX platform, it also came in variations with cache. It's not a stunning performer but it does its job good. Another interesting point (for some at least): The chipset works very well with the Ti486SXL2 CPUs (that's an 486 Overdrive CPU for the 386DX socket) so one can do some really cool upgrade.

Look at this board from my collection - Its a fullsize AT board with cache, driven by a very similar chipset, the CS8231 (the 302 memory controller has been replaced with the 307 combined cache&memory controller):

moretec_sxl2.jpg
Filename
moretec_sxl2.jpg
File size
1.1 MiB
Views
File comment
386 Fullsize AT with C&T Chipset, upgraded from 386DX/25 to 486SXL2 with 50MHz.
File license
Lukeno94 wrote:

There's a 1986 AMI BIOS chip, so it's definitely an early one. That barrel battery is a ticking time bomb as well. Still, at 25 MHz, it's a nice enough find even without the cache. 😀

Nope, one can't jugde the age of a board from a copyright of a BIOS sticker. The copyright only refers to the date of licensing the BIOS and that's it. These date codes must not be mixed up with production codes. Production codes can be found on the chips of the chipset, bus driver chips etc. They usually are in the format "YYMM" so 9021 would say produced in week 21 in 1990. But there are variations, for example Creative Tech. used "YMM" on many of their proprietary chips. To guess the production time of the board one has to look for the newest date code of course. Many PCBs also have a production code and may help as well. The board in question should be a not older than 21st week of 1990 because thats a code I spotted on one of the chips. For sure not a 1986 board.

Last edited by FGB on 2015-05-11, 10:30. Edited 3 times in total.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 7571 of 52730, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All this makes for great reading! I'll take some detailed pictures of the board tomorow when it arrives and dump them into a new thread. Unfortunately I don't have a COM and PATA controller here, so I will only be able to start the machine up and POST. I have a SCSI ISA Adaptec controller, but my only SCSI HDDs are dead. I'll only be able to install an OS on it next week when I get the needed expansion cards.

I'm curious what can be done with a machine like this. Will dos 6.22 install? Will windows 3.11 run on it? What is the 8 bit ISA like slot near the 30 pin SIMMs for?

Last edited by kanecvr on 2015-05-11, 10:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7572 of 52730, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

....I'm curious what can be done with a machine like this. Will dos 6.22 install? Will windows 3.11 run on it?

Yes, and yes. Both were working (and installing) well on my poor 386SX-16 with 5MB RAM back in the days. Your machine is much better.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 7573 of 52730, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

....I'm curious what can be done with a machine like this. Will dos 6.22 install? Will windows 3.11 run on it?

Yes, and yes. Both were working (and installing) well on my poor 386SX-16 with 5MB RAM back in the days. Your machine is much better.

Awsome, can't wait! I plan on installing it in a classic 80's looking baby AT case I found online, TSENG ET4000 ISA video card with 1 MB of ram, Creative Sound Blaster PRO 2.0 CT2600 and Serial + FDD + IDE trio controller board I've been holding on to for a while now.

The case I mentioned above is a simple beige case with a two digit MHz display, big clunky swivel like power switch and over-all 80's looks. It currently hosts a 486SX ISA board, unknown scsi controller and ISA video card, plus a 5,25" floppy drive. A shame I don't have any 5" floppys 🙁

It looks like this:

7A0B1DP.jpg
Filename
7A0B1DP.jpg
File size
62.62 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 7574 of 52730, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

All this makes for great reading! I'll take some detailed pictures of the board tomorow when it arrives and dump them into a new thread. Unfortunately I don't have a COM and PATA controller here, so I will only be able to start the machine up and POST. I have a SCSI ISA Adaptec controller, but my only SCSI HDDs are dead. I'll only be able to install an OS on it next week when I get the needed expansion cards.

I'm curious what can be done with a machine like this. Will dos 6.22 install? Will windows 3.11 run on it? What is the 8 bit ISA like slot near the 30 pin SIMMs for?

With a machine like this one can do many things. For example Wing Commander runs SPOT ON on a 386DX/25. But many other games run great, too. There are many exiting pinball games, puzzle games, J&R, strategy games and point & click adventures..
The "8-bit ISA like slot" is a 32-Bit memory memory expansion for a proprietary memory card. Quite common these days. You don't have to care about it when you have some normal SIMMs to put into the SIMM slots.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 7576 of 52730, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FGB wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

With a machine like this one can do many things. For example Wing Commander runs SPOT ON on a 386DX/25. But many other games run great, too. There are many exiting pinball games, puzzle games, J&R, strategy games and point & click adventures..
The "8-bit ISA like slot" is a 32-Bit memory memory expansion for a proprietary memory card. Quite common these days. You don't have to care about it when you have some normal SIMMs to put into the SIMM slots.

Nice. I'll give them a try when I finish the system. I haven't played any of the games you mentioned, they are before my time and I never had the appropriate hardware to play them.

devius wrote:

Warcraft and Dune II should also run well in a 386 if you're into RTS games.

Dune II is the game that made me fall in love with computers. I used to play it daily over and over, all missions, all houses when I had my first computer (a 586) ~19-20 years ago. Love warcraft as well. Never got around to finishing the human campaign.

Reply 7577 of 52730, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

Dune II is the game that made me fall in love with computers. I used to play it daily over and over, all missions, all houses when I had my first computer (a 586) ~19-20 years ago. Love warcraft as well. Never got around to finishing the human campaign.

I also love RTS and strategy games. I think the first PC game that I played ever was the first Civilization, but I'm not entirely sure since it was a long time ago and I didn't knew anything about videogames then. I remember there was resource management, romans, you could command troops and I distinctly remember a static screen where you could see a sort of roman encampment.

Speaking of which, Civilization should also be a good game to play on a 386.

Last edited by devius on 2015-05-11, 17:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7578 of 52730, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tokroger wrote:
Finally found one of these... […]
Show full quote

Finally found one of these...

20150510_150246.jpg

20150510_150301.jpg

Unfortunately there were no psu or cables but it didn't cost much. And they both seems to be pretty good condition, there was no dust or debree in the cases so I think these are working condition

Wow you lucky duck!

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!