VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 9720 of 52758, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I paid way too much for it but god DAMN if it isn't sexy.

CGS_1156.jpg
CGS_1159.jpg
CGS_1144.jpg
CGS_1151.jpg

An MD Data drive.
Yes, Minidisc.
Forget the fact it was in the box and pretty much complete. I never though I would ever find one.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 9721 of 52758, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CelGen wrote:
I paid way too much for it but god DAMN if it isn't sexy. […]
Show full quote

I paid way too much for it but god DAMN if it isn't sexy.

CGS_1156.jpg
CGS_1159.jpg
CGS_1144.jpg
CGS_1151.jpg

An MD Data drive.
Yes, Minidisc.
Forget the fact it was in the box and pretty much complete. I never though I would ever find one.

That's a great haul, especially the MD data drive! Do you have any of it's disks?

I had the same feeling when I stumbled upon an insite floptical drive. Too bad I never managed to source any of it's 21MB disks 🙁
Just recently I read there were only 70k made or sold worldwide and I reckon I can't use one of the regular floppy disks or a 2.88 one.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9722 of 52758, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you have any of it's disks?

I have two cartridges. It doesn't seem to like formatting regular audio cartridges either so if I want more space while there are constantly one or two NOS cartridges on ebay they are typically $40 after shipping.

I have a floptical drive hidden away in my SGI Indigo actually. Before I accidentally blew up the very hard to source SCSI to floppy bridge card I found it more useful for using 1.44mb disks.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 9723 of 52758, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CelGen wrote:

Do you have any of it's disks?

I have two cartridges. It doesn't seem to like formatting regular audio cartridges either so if I want more space while there are constantly one or two NOS cartridges on ebay they are typically $40 after shipping.

I have a floptical drive hidden away in my SGI Indigo actually. Before I accidentally blew up the very hard to source SCSI to floppy bridge card I found it more useful for using 1.44mb disks.

I never even knew the Insite Floptical drive had a SCSI to floppy bridge card. I always assumed it was sorta integrated. Never tried to detach the SCSI connector from the drive as it looked pretty solid and I didn't want to risk damaging it as I only ever found a single drive (so if it's ruined, I can't get another one).

It's also my only SCSI floppy drive (I do have a couple IDE LS-120 drives though). And even though I never got to actually use it (can't even remember if I ever tested it), I'm very glad I kept it 😀

Do you happen to know if the Insite drive can actually be used in a PC? I already knew it originated from a non-pc computer.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9726 of 52758, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Do you happen to know if the Insite drive can actually be used in a PC? I already knew it originated from a non-pc computer.

I've been using the I325VM model in a Tandy 1000 TL/2 build for several years now. The Rancho RT1000B SCSI adapter that I'm using has BIOS support for floptical drives, whereas Adaptec's ASPIDISK.SYS driver had been used to provide that support with the prior setup, involving a Trantor T128 adapter.

Reply 9727 of 52758, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know if this is really retro or not.. It's from spring 2010. But it's also under the "If you can't buy it new any more, it's retro" category, so.. decided to share here.

So I already had two of these that I bought in fall 2013, they're great together but I've always wanted to explore Tri-SLI with something useful. I've been watching ebay daily to try and find a 100% exact match to my existing pair, but no luck all this time. So when a 3rd one popped up on ebay last week.. I pounced on it. It was only $45 anyway, so couldn't resist.

EVGA GTX 470 Hydro Copper FTW card.
f_DSC05732.jpg
Larger: http://www.outfoxed.net/gtx470/DSC05732.JPG

f_DSC05731.jpg
Larger: http://www.outfoxed.net/gtx470/DSC05731.JPG

And, the complete set together (Not hooked up.. just sat in a random (dead) motherboard for the photo):
f_DSC05722.jpg
Larger: http://www.outfoxed.net/gtx470/3-way/DSC05722.JPG

It will be a long while before I can get all 3 set up together in a system, probably next summer. But it will be interesting to see how these 3 do together in some older DirectX 8 and 9 titles for fun.

Reply 9728 of 52758, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up a Paradise EGA card this week for $8.

pega.jpg
Filename
pega.jpg
File size
134.73 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9729 of 52758, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It will take some time to get here but i made a very nice deal. I wanted a 486 pci board for some time now and finally got one, i made a package deal so i will get a big box with some nice parts soon:

Sis based 486 vlb board with dx2 66mhz cpu
Sis based 486 pci board with amd dx4 120mhz cpu (acer board, hopefully a 16kb cpu). Comes in a case with psu.
Asus 430fx socket 7 board with cache module and ps2 bracket, p133mhz cpu
3x creative isa soundblasters: CT2940, CT4170 en CT3780. CT3870 awe32 comes with manual and driver disk.
3Dfx voodoo1 and voodoo2 card (can't stop buying these things when they are cheap. My 7th v1 and my 10th voodoo2)
VLB cirrus logic vga card

Paid 65 euro for all of it.

This will be my last big haul, i have so much parts that i really have to stop buying now. I have a very short list of things i still really want and i will stick to that (I HOPE).

I just had to have some nice 486 stuff to play with. I only have one complete 486 right now and it is the first i've ever build and setup. It is a Soyo board with Sis chipset and amd dx4 100mhz, 16mb ram and a Cirrus logic VLB card. Runs very nice but i really want pci, because for me every retro pc has to have a 3dfx card, even when they are to slow for it 🤣

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 9730 of 52758, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

It will take some time to get here but i made a very nice deal. I wanted a 486 pci board for some time now and finally got one, i made a package deal so i will get a big box with some nice parts soon:

That's a nice list!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 9731 of 52758, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a Sony VGN-UX90PS, fun little machine 😀

vgn-ux90ps.jpg
Filename
vgn-ux90ps.jpg
File size
31.03 KiB
Views
File license

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 9732 of 52758, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:

This will be my last big haul, i have so much parts that i really have to stop buying now. I have a very short list of things i still really want and i will stick to that (I HOPE).

There will always that part that will be cheaper to buy in a random lot xD That us how I ended with more SBPro clones than I could ever want to.
Btw, congratz on the haul =)

Reply 9733 of 52758, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gotten a Unisys PW/2 series 300 (286 machine) for free.
Pictures will be added next week.

EDIT:
Could not help my self. Took some pictures. They are of bad quality, due to my shitty phonecamera and bad lightning.
Going to take some more on monday.

The computer came with the original manual, the original keyboard and an optical mouse. All dated late jan. and mid. feb. of 1988.
The specs are 286 8/10mhz, 640k ram, 20mb HDD, EGA monitor and gfx card. No soundcard and only one Serial and one Parallel port.

Unisys-01.jpg
Unisys-02.jpg
Unisys-03.jpg

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9736 of 52758, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It arrived!

placa-de-som-profissional-terratec-audio-system-ews64-801201-MLB20279613459_042015-F.jpg
Filename
placa-de-som-profissional-terratec-audio-system-ews64-801201-MLB20279613459_042015-F.jpg
File size
194.01 KiB
Views
File license

I am using the sellers' picture here, as I forgot to take one before installing it. This card is rather weird as far as its preferred ports are: by default it was setting its SoundBlaster compatible part to por 110h?! The two MPU ports were also at weird adresses (1xxh range). It seems to cohexist just fine with an AWE64 which I had to install instead of the CT3670 (only one of the ISA slots allow for a bigger card - the others interfere with VRM heatsinks), so no more loading 8MB soundfonts for me, but the EWS64XL's own synth (+ an 8MB DIMM) should make up for it.

Reply 9738 of 52758, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Gotten a Unisys PW/2 series 300 (286 machine) for free.

Very nice machine! Would be great to see some pictures of the EGA display in action if you get the chance.

Hard Disk Sounds