Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 13140 of 52680, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NamelessPlayer wrote:

$8 shipped. I got lucky on this one, all right.

Now I just need something to feed it that's faster than my BP6 with dual Celeron 533s; nothing else I have has a compatible AGP slot and Unreal Engine 1 games demand at least a 1 GHz CPU to keep the framerates up above 60 FPS.

nJTgBUb.gif

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 13141 of 52680, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/nJTgBUb.gif […]
Show full quote
NamelessPlayer wrote:

Now I just need something to feed it that's faster than my BP6 with dual Celeron 533s; nothing else I have has a compatible AGP slot and Unreal Engine 1 games demand at least a 1 GHz CPU to keep the framerates up above 60 FPS.

nJTgBUb.gif

^This

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 13142 of 52680, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

got a AOpen GF3 ti 200 which was supposedly working well, it looks great but no video on both my AGP boards 😒
same deal as the previous geforce I bought (oh well, that one had video, just full of artifacts) with the same intent (use on my P3 750/p2b), I guess I have to stick with old Radeons, had better luck with those so far

Reply 13144 of 52680, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NamelessPlayer wrote:

Yikes... That's a deal!

How on earth did you manage that? Had to have been a yard sale or goodwill purchase.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 13146 of 52680, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
Show full quote
NamelessPlayer wrote:

nJTgBUb.gif

I have a little something for sale... goes between Manhattan and Brooklyn, and you can cross the East River over it. It's used, but in pretty good condition. Cheap!

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13147 of 52680, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BSA Starfire wrote:
Found some interesting cards from the car boot sale yesterday, all these were 50p each :) […]
Show full quote

Found some interesting cards from the car boot sale yesterday, all these were 50p each 😀

First up is this National Instruments PCI-CAN, it seems to be related to automotive ECU's in some way as far as I can figure out. Only bought it because it had that Intel 386 EX 25 MHz CPU on the board! 🤣

IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1188.JPG

Hey, great card!

I would have done the same... I love seeing different variations in which 386's can be used.

Even the military still use 386's today!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 13148 of 52680, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NamelessPlayer wrote:

$8 including shipping!? or $8 plus shipping on top?

I doubt shipping alone in the UK would be as little as $8 nevermind anything else.

All the same, great find!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 13149 of 52680, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bancho wrote:
This arrived today. 99p +£3.25 postage. Videologic Vivid XS card. Got a Acer 815 motherboard with a Coppermine 733 i might try i […]
Show full quote

This arrived today. 99p +£3.25 postage. Videologic Vivid XS card. Got a Acer 815 motherboard with a Coppermine 733 i might try it out with.

232ac3db-9e1e-4697-a272-2457f78f095c.jpg

Very nice - always wanted give those cards a go.

I managed to find a new Artic Cooling Silencer, REV.2 for £9 shipped. Just as I needed one this popped up!

*Ebay photo alert*
s-l1600_zpseg4ypkg0.jpg

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 13150 of 52680, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, got my BP6 out from storage, threw together some parts without a case (I need a spare ATX case that can hold an AWE32), and chucked in the V5 5500. It works!

But I still need to spend some time setting up Windows 98 SE again for some actual gameplay with it...

nforce4max wrote:
luckybob wrote:
Show full quote
NamelessPlayer wrote:

nJTgBUb.gif

^This

You don't believe me on what I paid for the V5 5500, or my opinion on what it takes to keep Unreal Tournament and Deus Ex humming at 60 FPS constantly?

If the former, well, let me clarify by responding to the latter two:

Ozzuneoj wrote:

Yikes... That's a deal!

How on earth did you manage that? Had to have been a yard sale or goodwill purchase.

Yard sales and Goodwill wouldn't necessitate a shipping cost, silly!

Long story short, forum buy/sell/trade sections are your friend - especially when they have some very generous members. This dude actually sold me a Thrustmaster FCS Mk. II and WCS Mk. II before, and even threw in a couple of Gravis GamePad Pros while he was as it.

I have gotten some pretty killer deals from thrift stores, though, like a pair of IBM Model Ms for less than $3 shipped - one of which was a tenkeyless Space-Saving Keyboard! Made the Geekhack crowd real envious with that one, I admit.

386_junkie wrote:

$8 including shipping!? or $8 plus shipping on top?

I doubt shipping alone in the UK would be as little as $8 nevermind anything else.

All the same, great find!

$8 shipped within the US. The seller just wanted to pass it on for the cost of shipping like the aforementioned TM FCS/WCS, would you believe that?

Reply 13151 of 52680, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BSA Starfire wrote:

First up is this National Instruments PCI-CAN, it seems to be related to automotive ECU's in some way as far as I can figure out. Only bought it because it had that Intel 386 EX 25 MHz CPU on the board! 🤣

IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1188.JPG

Yeah! It looks like a CANbus card for sure, both used in industrial automation & system integration in cars electrical equipment 😀. Uses DB9 connector but it's not compatible with the typical serial port signaling found in computers.

Reply 13152 of 52680, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NamelessPlayer wrote:

$8 shipped within the US. The seller just wanted to pass it on for the cost of shipping like the aforementioned TM FCS/WCS, would you believe that?

Of course I would believe it. Stranger things have happened, and I figured it's best not to put a price tag on anything in any case (but especially in your mind).

Congrats! 😁

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 13153 of 52680, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this for $15.95 + $3.00. Much cheaper than what most sellers are pricing them at. This puts me one step closer to the original computer that started it all for me.

s-l500.jpg

Reply 13154 of 52680, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had a S3 Virge DX PCI arrive in the mail today. Cost $7 shipped. Replacing the Matrox Millennium PCI in my i430TX Pentium-100 system. I really like that Matrox card, but I need my Commander Keen and such to scroll properly! Haha.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 13155 of 52680, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NamelessPlayer wrote:

You don't believe me on what I paid for the V5 5500, or my opinion on what it takes to keep Unreal Tournament and Deus Ex humming at 60 FPS constantly?

I don't believe you either:) I don't think there can be such thing as dual Mendocino setup 😀

Reply 13156 of 52680, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
NamelessPlayer wrote:

I don't believe you either:) I don't think there can be such thing as dual Mendocino setup 😀

Abit BP6? 😉

Reply 13158 of 52680, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NamelessPlayer wrote:

CkRtech wrote:

Had a S3 Virge DX PCI arrive in the mail today. Cost $7 shipped.

Based on this, someone could think that both cards were super-crappy, with the V5 just edging it (because it has two fans, 🤣). Crazy, crazy world.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 13159 of 52680, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
NamelessPlayer wrote:

CkRtech wrote:

Had a S3 Virge DX PCI arrive in the mail today. Cost $7 shipped.

Based on this, someone could think that both cards were super-crappy, with the V5 just edging it (because it has two fans, 🤣). Crazy, crazy world.

Well, if you want to play, let's say, Overwatch, they're both equally useful! 😎

1982 to 2001