VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 18180 of 52743, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do so. I also state that my items will be shipped in an anti-static bag.

TBH, I think this seller wanted to stuff the item in one of those USPS Priority envelopes. Looks like the inside plastic housing has been cut as well 🙁

Reply 18181 of 52743, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

The short summary is the entire line of 7000 series cards, desktop and mobile, have a fatal design flaw. All 7000 chips will die on their own eventually. The longer they've been running in operation (and the hotter they get) the faster they die. But they will all die eventually. It effected -some- of the 8000 series, but not all. Which ones are effected is mostly unclear at this point.

Could it be that the BFG 7800GS OC in my AMD64 build is old enough to not be affected? IIRC bumpgate mainly affected models from 2007-2008 and that typically meant laptops with the 7x00 chipsets and desktop 8x00 cards were prone to it more than the older high-end 7x00 cards were, I've pulled this card out of a garbage-picked computer 6 years ago and it's still standing even after being exposed to heavy gaming use in 2014-15, I guess I've gotten lucky but then again nothing lasts forever.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

The N610C arrived today. The LCD backlight somehow died during transport. No clue how since all considered it was reasonably packaged and the eBay listing had it shown with a perfectly fine and working LCD. At least the LCD replacement procedure for this model doesn't look too terribly complex.
-
Edit: Can an improper charger cause a backlight to not work in a laptop? Thought just crossed my mind.

Were there multiple quantities available on that listing? If there were then it's possible that they sent you one that wasn't as good as the one pictured; what charger were you using? it's also possible that the charger didn't have good enough specs to power the laptop's backlight and knowing that the N610C is a P4 laptop I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case knowing how power-hungry P4s were.

Reply 18182 of 52743, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

Could it be that the BFG 7800GS OC in my AMD64 build is old enough to not be affected? IIRC bumpgate mainly affected models from 2007-2008 and that typically meant laptops with the 7x00 chipsets and desktop 8x00 cards were prone to it more than the older high-end 7x00 cards were, I've pulled this card out of a garbage-picked computer 6 years ago and it's still standing even after being exposed to heavy gaming use in 2014-15, I guess I've gotten lucky but then again nothing lasts forever.

Sorry to be the one to inform you but the issue was how nvidia chose to design the chips physically during the time. Due to this choice, it was a flaw in the manufacturing process for all 7000 series chips from the entire family. In fact if I'm understanding it right.. if nvidia had not been "called out" on it they would of just continued manufacturing it this way for later models too. I don't think they ever officially admitted any wrong-doing even during the lawsuit.

Reply 18185 of 52743, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexvx wrote:

So I bought something on eBay. Picture clearly has box and all.

I get the package. No box.

Holy sh1t. Do I need to verify with every seller that I want the box? Argh.

Was the picture one they took or did they use a stock picture or gank the picture from somebody else? Lot of shady and also very lazy people selling stuff on eBay.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18186 of 52743, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
dexvx wrote:

Was the picture one they took or did they use a stock picture or gank the picture from somebody else? Lot of shady and also very lazy people selling stuff on eBay.

Was definitely not a stock picture. It's this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIS-IceQ-Radeon-HD-46 … HA/182691362469

Reply 18187 of 52743, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
dexvx wrote:

Was definitely not a stock picture. It's this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIS-IceQ-Radeon-HD-46 … HA/182691362469

This is in the item description, but is it a recent edit? "In order to keep free shipping, ill ship card and software in padded secured envelope vs original box due to cost."

Reply 18188 of 52743, by FancyCat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
20170729_091826.jpg
Filename
20170729_091826.jpg
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Four ISA network cards with RJ-45. Want to put one of them in my Toshiba T5200 (it has two ISA slots) and try to do some networking. Hopefully one will work...

Reply 18189 of 52743, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm finally going to have a GUS 😁

gus.png
Filename
gus.png
File size
2.1 MiB
Views
File license

I was looking for one since forever ! yaaaay

I'm also going to have a SB Pro 2 CT1600 (already had one) and an SB 16 CT1740 (I have some SB16 but not that model) as well as this

wavetable.png
Filename
wavetable.png
File size
2.19 MiB
Views
File license

Never had any wavetable either. I listened to some records of it and I like it's sound ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 18190 of 52743, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been wondering: is there actually an advantage over using a Sound Blaster Pro instead of a SB16? I thought the compatibility was practically 100%? Having never owned a SB Pro I was just curious.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 18191 of 52743, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FancyCat wrote:

Four ISA network cards with RJ-45. Want to put one of them in my Toshiba T5200 (it has two ISA slots) and try to do some networking. Hopefully one will work...

Hah! My T5200 is running again since yesterday. It only took an XTIDE with CF card and a week of troubleshooting 😵 (not counting the time I wasted getting the original hard drive running...). Glad to know of another working T5200.

Reply 18192 of 52743, by FancyCat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
oerk wrote:

Hah! My T5200 is running again since yesterday. It only took an XTIDE with CF card and a week of troubleshooting 😵 (not counting the time I wasted getting the original hard drive running...). Glad to know of another working T5200.

Yes, there is! Still requires some repairs (HDD is okay, FDD not so much, plasma screen has little sparks showing every now and then) and a whole lot of cleaning, but it's definitely alive.

Two questions:

• Could you tell me where did you buy XTIDE? Or did you assembly one yourself?
    Do you know of a similar solution for MFM disks (I have two older laptops with dead MFM drives)?

Reply 18193 of 52743, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red_avatar wrote:

I've been wondering: is there actually an advantage over using a Sound Blaster Pro instead of a SB16? I thought the compatibility was practically 100%? Having never owned a SB Pro I was just curious.

Well, apparently, the stereo capabilites of the SB pro isn't reproduced by the SB 16 so for games outputing stereo sound only for sb pro, on an sb16 you'll end up with mono. But these games seem to be quite rare.

Otherwise, it sounds like my sb pro 2 is less noisy than my SB 16 but that could be also related to bad caps on the psu of the computer and on the cards themself

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 18194 of 52743, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

So would the Radeon x1950 Pro AGP be a good alternative to the 7800GS AGP?

If I ever manage to get my 7800GS AGP working I'll let you know as I own both.

I need to get around to baking that card. I find this whole 7k series discussing interesting, maybe a moderator should move the posts about it to there own separate thread so as to not flood this one?

Anyways, back on topic. I managed to get a Voodoo3 2000 from a scrapper. Looks good aside from the heatsink having been ripped off (looks to have taken the logo on the core off with it but hopefully that's all it did to the core). Also getting a CMI based 8-bit ISA sound card with it. Both are need new brackets.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18195 of 52743, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally got myself a Chieftec Dragon!! That thing must weigh a ton!! 😁
I'm not reeally on the lookout for cases (usually I get these as leftovers from gutting cheap machines I'd been given) but this one is kinda legendary and an exception (the CM Centurion 5 is another exception in my book, because I personally like it). It was only a couple euro and seems fairly complete. The cables and other stuff of whoever emptied it, was still inside, so it comes with a couple IDE-80 cables, 2 optical IDE DVD drives (both with audio cables) and a Chieftec PSU (which is probably the original PSU the case came with).
The lesser stuff includes that 2 of the 4 pairs of drive rails for the optical drives are missing and one of its 2 removable harddrive cages is also missing.
The former isn't a disaster as I'm very unlikely to ever actually be needing more than 2 5.25in optical drives, the latter is unfortunate, but the same "solution" applies (and perhaps I can get some drive rails that will kinda fit from somewhere (though I'm not counting on this)).
It does seem complete otherwise and I'm happy to finally be owning one 😀
Especially for that price, buying 2 separate old IDE drives is actually more expensive then it was getting this entire thing. But my god is it heavy! Very reminiscent of the IBM tanks of older days.

I do have another Dragon in the house, but it's technically not my property.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18196 of 52743, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
liqmat wrote:

So would the Radeon x1950 Pro AGP be a good alternative to the 7800GS AGP?

If I ever manage to get my 7800GS AGP working I'll let you know as I own both.

I need to get around to baking that card. I find this whole 7k series discussing interesting, maybe a moderator should move the posts about it to there own separate thread so as to not flood this one?

Actually, I'd tend to agree with you here (haven't read above replies yet as I was kinda full with my dragon 🤣!), it's an interesting discussion and a reason why I avoided buying any passively cooled 7600's second hand.

did this reply separately to make it easier for the big chiefs, in case they decide to move all to a separate thread.

Report spammers here!

Reply 18197 of 52743, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote:

I'm finally going to have a GUS 😁

I wish I had a GUS 😒
These always eluded me and were never to be gotten very cheaply (kinda like Roland stuff was also always kinda high-end).

I hope you enjoy yours 😀

Report spammers here!