Topic actions

Reply 19300 of 52354, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
verysaving wrote:
Predator99 wrote:
Received these boards today. Not very clean but seem to be intact. Hope the XTs will work. […]
Show full quote
DSC_0293.JPG
DSC_0294.JPG
DSC_0295.JPG

Received these boards today. Not very clean but seem to be intact. Hope the XTs will work.

Anybody interested in the PS/2 386 and the non-standard 286? PM me...

The non-standard 286 is a Olivetti M290S motherboard

http://www.supervinx.com/OnlineMuseum/Olivetti/M290S/

Yes you are right. Olivetti is also noted on the board. I have also found the ISA-riser card. If somebody has a use for it let me know...

Reply 19301 of 52354, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up an Epson 3590 scanner at Goodwill. It can scan PCBs. It also has better specs (it's from the mid-2000s) and much better OS support than the late 90s scanner I already had.
I played with it a bit, scanning a video card at a stupidly ridiculous resolution, just because I could. Unfortunately the platter isn't big enough for a lot of motherboards, but that's typical.

It momentarily makes the sound of a grinding plastic gear every time the scanner thingy finishes retracting to it's resting position. I haven't tried to investigate why that would happen or if it can be easily fixed. Wild guess - maybe there's some sensor that has failed and so it's not stopping until it triggers a high torque switch?

Between 2 drivers on Epson's web site, it is supported on every desktop Windows release from Windows 98 through Windows 9imean10, both 32bit and 64bit versions of each. Handy.
The only OS in that range they fail to identify a driver for is XP64, which just happens to be what I hooked it up to. Turns out XP64 works with the driver they labeled for Vista onward. XP32 and older use the older driver.

Reply 19302 of 52354, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qjimbo wrote:
Samsung SyncMaster 997DF DynaFlat - $65 (CAD) http://qjimbo.com/photobucket/syncmaster997df-1.jpghttp://qjimbo.com/photobucket/s […]
Show full quote

Samsung SyncMaster 997DF DynaFlat - $65 (CAD)
syncmaster997df-1.jpgsyncmaster997df-2.jpgsyncmaster997df-3.jpgsyncmaster997df-4.jpg
Not a "true" flatscreen (you can tell it's slightly curved behind the flat glass) but more flat than regular monitors. Very happy with it. There is some fuzziness in the corners so I might have to adjust the focus inside because it may have shifted over the years, but very good even picture.

Nice compromise between CRT and LCD (has more modern LCD-esque styling). Doesn't have the Trinitron Grille lines, though I've never actually noticed these on trinitrons anyway. Should serve nicely with my fast Windows 98 build I am working on.

I was going to say that's a bit expensive for a CRT considering most people here get them for free or very cheap but then I googled it. 20mm dot pitch with 1920x1440 @ 60hz max res and 1600x1200 @ 75hz recommended. That's one hell of a monitor if it has good contrast and color.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 19303 of 52354, by florianix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dexvx wrote:

Asus P3C-D (from HP Kayak XM600). I literally cannot get this guy to POST. System fan, gpu fan, and cpu fan spins, but no POST. I'm using 3x 256MB PC800 RDRAM with a P3-450 Katmai and a CPU terminator that works on the below Asus P2B-DS board. Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise I might have to toss it.

Don't toss it (...yet).

I have a whole bunch of P3C-D boards that suddenly showed the same behaviour.
Started a thread about it a while ago: ASUS P3C-D boards not starting

My next steps will be to reseat/reprogram the BIOS chips and to recap one of the boards.
If that will not work... then I'll probably also have to toss five of them. 😢

About the RAM: This board only supports two(!) memory modules according to the manual. The third slot is for a termination module that is needed. Another type of "dummy" module shipped with the board is needed for the second slot if not populated.

EDIT: I meant the second *memory* slot. The second CPU slot also needs a terminator if unpopulated, but thats another one of course.

Reply 19305 of 52354, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Also went thrifting and I got a game (Delta Force Land Warrior) and a 19" or so Medion MD 1998 OF monitor. $21.31 well spent ($20.20 + tax).

I wonder how a Medion monitor made its way to America as Medion was an Aldi-brand, which was pretty strong in Europe back then. Or were they sold through Aldi in the USA too?

Reply 19306 of 52354, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

Here! I am going to pick up two more shelving units for all of my retro PCs still in storage. I still put all the out-of-box cards in tubs/boxes so that stuff won't be on display.

Welcome home from storage my friends!

elI2n2.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 19307 of 52354, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought on a flea market today (except the dog):

-Asus p2 99, p3 550 , some RAM
-PC chips socket 7 motherboard, coast module, Pentium classic and some RAM.
-Pcchips fake cache socket 3 motherboard, intel dx4 100 and some RAM.
-Seagate 545mb
-Cirrus 5424 isa
-Prime 2c isa
-Virge dx pci
-Some rambus memory
-Libreto 50ct + pcmcia floppy +dock station (in bad shape, not working)
- Some retropc unrelated parts

Attachments

• 20171001_094928.jpg
    Filename
    20171001_094928.jpg
    File size
    276.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19308 of 52354, by Groovy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Artex wrote:
Welcome home from storage my friends! […]
Show full quote
Artex wrote:

Here! I am going to pick up two more shelving units for all of my retro PCs still in storage. I still put all the out-of-box cards in tubs/boxes so that stuff won't be on display.

Welcome home from storage my friends!

elI2n2.jpg

That is a really nice collection, it looks like what I find next to my workbench at work. I wish I had more room to bring more home with me.

Reply 19309 of 52354, by Groovy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally found a 3DFX card this week, and my Mac collection just received a G3 to go with the NEC E1100 I found last week. Now all I need is to find a correct Apple keyboard and mouse for the G3.
fk5Bp2J.jpg
X4wD39T.jpg
T5IUKFj.jpg
abzIL2i.jpg
WB6omtN.jpg
l9DK4X2.jpg
69VNIjd.jpg
W5ZHTcQ.jpg
gMHw4d7.jpg
FccOZ9u.jpg
pCoV1o3.jpg

Reply 19310 of 52354, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blurks wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

Also went thrifting and I got a game (Delta Force Land Warrior) and a 19" or so Medion MD 1998 OF monitor. $21.31 well spent ($20.20 + tax).

I wonder how a Medion monitor made its way to America as Medion was an Aldi-brand, which was pretty strong in Europe back then. Or were they sold through Aldi in the USA too?

I worked at a refurbished computer reseller in the mid 00's in the US, and among many other things, Medion computers came through it for a limited time. I still have a Medion webcam - somewhere, at least, not in use. And yes, there's Aldi stores in the US. So my memory is that Medion did try to give "Medion USA" a go, but was ultimately unsuccessful.

[EDIT] Oh, indeed, it's a real thing: https://www.google.com/search?num=100&safe=of … iw=1366&bih=574

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 19311 of 52354, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:
probnot wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

When I share something from imgur, it always does that. Fortunately, I put the links for each picture. Had to add the letter b before the .jpg extension... AGAIN. Darn Imgur. My other post didn't do that when I shared the CDs I got a few weeks ago.

Just select "Large Thumbnail" which adds a lower case L at the end. Lower case B is for big square.

imgur.png

Thanks for the tip. Good thing I still have the links for the pictures.

Here's my writeup of how to handle Imgur embeds:
Making clickable embedded images using Imgur image hosting service

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 19312 of 52354, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
florianix wrote:

About the RAM: This board only supports two(!) memory modules according to the manual. The third slot is for a termination module that is needed. Another type of "dummy" module shipped with the board is needed for the second slot if not populated.

That sounds familiar. I never had a RAMBUS board but I remember reading that for some chipset, Intel decided very late that only a max of 2 modules was reliable. By that time many boards had already been designed and produced with 3 slots, so Intel started advising that on such boards the 3rd should be terminated and not used. I think a lot of affected boards were also built with the 3rd slot unpopulated in the PCB.

Reply 19313 of 52354, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sure many here would argue that this isn't retro, but...its DX10. Most modern stuff wont work on it anymore.

P_20171001_192350_HDR.jpg
Filename
P_20171001_192350_HDR.jpg
File size
827.36 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Geforce 9800GT - a re-badged 8800GT. For 3 Euros 😀

Already own an 8800GT, so if i can flash this one into an 8800 as well I could have a nice SLI pair.
Or might not even need a flash, if what I've read so far is true.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 19314 of 52354, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I was going to say that's a bit expensive for a CRT considering most people here get them for free or very cheap but then I googled it. 20mm dot pitch with 1920x1440 @ 60hz max res and 1600x1200 @ 75hz recommended. That's one hell of a monitor if it has good contrast and color.

$65 is a fair bit but you're always at the mercy of local markets when buying CRTs. I figured it was worth it for the look and specs. The seller wanted $120 originally! Managed to negotiate him down.

amadeus777999 wrote:

That flat CRT is very nice!

Thanks! I wanted a nice CRT like this for my new work in progress modern-looking retro build, excited to put it to good use 😀

Follow me on twitter

Reply 19315 of 52354, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Here's my writeup of how to handle Imgur embeds:
Making clickable embedded images using Imgur image hosting service

Great writeup! I'm on the fence about using imgur now. I like how powerful it can be, but like someone else here mentioned, we're at the mercy that 2-4 years from now imgur still allows linking (see photobucket and all the lost content here).

But posts only allow 5 pictures, so for large build logs, it's either a bunch of posts in a row, or use a site like imgur.

Reply 19316 of 52354, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gered wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/77Xhowym.jpg?1 […]
Show full quote

77Xhowym.jpg?1

I actually really want version 3.0 as that's the last one that includes the DOS IDE, but I didn't think I could pass up a complete 4.0 set with 4.5 update CD. This version requires at least Win 3.1 (but can still produce DOS executables), which I suppose I can install on my 486 anyway (that way I can play Myst at least, heh 😉 ).

I just bought a BCPP 5.0 disc for £5 (no books, but I think docs were also on the CD by then). The covers says 5.0 also makes DOS executables.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 19317 of 52354, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hunt of the day for 13 dollars

1 asus 486 socket 3 motherboard without the riser 🙁 cant install a pci or isa
1 asus intel socket5 motherboard, very very nice
1 unknown socket3 motheboard, the ps2 connectors say foxconn, and im not sure why it has 2 power supply inputs.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reply 19318 of 52354, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So far my fastest, and also cheapest retro GPU 🙄

X850.jpg

Not a bad deal for 3 Euros, I think 😀 Of course that abomination, which is attached to it, will be swapped in following days for my Zalman copper GPU cooler, which came with my previous X800 Pro.

Funny fact though. This card is not working with HDMI monitors. If you try to connect HDMI monitor via DVI->HDMI adapter, monitor will stay in sleep mode, no matter what. With DVI, there is no problem. What's most surprising to me is, that with my 9500 with R300 chip, which is really similar to R400, everything works as expected, and I can transfer my video signal even in FullHD resolution. Even Win 98 installer have no problem with that setup. Just wanna let you know, if you will try to connect this retro card to not-so-retro monitor.

Last edited by Srandista on 2021-01-30, 22:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 19319 of 52354, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HDMI requests the HDCP support.
Not all DVI videocards support HDCP. Because it's optional in the DVI 1.0 specification.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).