Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 22140 of 52739, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

The most interesting thins about this card is how late it is - that 9440 chip has a 1997 day code. This was low-end in 1994/5, by 1997 it's astonishing Trident was still manufacturing it, more so that people were still equipping cards with it.

Just like with CGA in the late 80s, which got a boom as a cheap alternative to EGA/VGA. You can find CGA cards made in 1990.

Reply 22141 of 52739, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JidaiGeki wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

My NOS Gainward GeForce3 64MB CardExpert finally showed up. Paid $25 shipped for it.

Beautiful card. I love the all red design. Supposedly it was built with higher than spec memory so maybe I can get it up into the Ti500 clock speed range.

It'll be going into the S478 1.7GHz Willamette machine. It should make a nice year 2001 machine until I find a cooler for the Socket 423 board I was given or get the Socket 423 Sony Vaio working. Not sure what's wrong with it. I can't remove the power supply to get to half the internal components which really doesn't help. I was able to test it with a different PSU because the 4 pin and 20 pin connectors were accessible but it still didn't start. Does anybody know if Sony used proprietary power supplies during 2001?

Hey that's interesting, I've just built a 478 1.7GHz Willamette. Strange thing is, my Canopus GF3 Ti500 won't play nicely with it. Displays text mode stuff fine, but blanks out when the drivers kick in under Win2k - tried nVidia drivers as well as the Canopus ones from the product CD. Keen to hear how you go with the Gainward GF3.

On the purchase front, just picked up a Pentium MMX VRM for an IBM socket 7 machine.

Mine is a clamshell dell. One of the higher end Optiplexs, it's not a bad machine.

Sadly I've just confirmed what I thought: My 7800GS AGP is dead. It went to a completely blue garbage screen during an XP install and since then it's refused to boot even in boards that I know it booted on before. This really sucks because I consider that chipset essential and replacing it in AGP flavor will be expensive.

I also did a teardown on the Sony S423 system. It too is dead. No signs of life at all. The CPU is a 1.3GHz model. It doesnt look like any ASUS WMT-LX boards are available, but it appears to be the same as WMT-LE which is available on eBay. I like the PC'S aesthetic so at some point I will probably replace the motherboard.

On a brighter note my Gateway 700x, a ridiculously big (no shit you could probably fit a server board in this thing, it's massive) Socket 478 RD-RAM machine (odd combo right?) Is running. It's got a 2.53Ghz P4 in it and I installed my X800 Pro into it. I need to put an OS on it still though.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 22142 of 52739, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

Just like with CGA in the late 80s, which got a boom as a cheap alternative to EGA/VGA. You can find CGA cards made in 1990.

Difference being that there was an installed base of CGA/MDA monitors which couldn't work with EGA or VGA cards, so people had an investment to protect. VGA was backwards compatible, so even if you had a horrible 12" VGA monitor from 1987 [sub]which I did until 1996 😮 [/sub] you could use any low-end 1997-vintage VGA chip with it. That's what surprises me: I could understand people shifting old stock of TGUi9440 chips or cards based on it, but three years later an old-process 1994-vintage chip would surely cost Trident more to produce than a more recent low-end design on a newer process and therefore on less silicon per die.

S3 certainly wasn't selling 805 or 864-based chips in 1997, they were servicing the low end with things like the Trio32, which was marginally more capable than their old 1994 chips, but more importantly was much cheaper for them to manufacture (even with the integrated RAMDAC).

Reply 22143 of 52739, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, EGA just works fine with a CGA monitor. You can bet that most people upgraded from CGA to EGA without replacing the monitor.

Anyway, I don't see anything odd about a cheap 1994 vga chip still being produced in 1997. The ATi Mach64 and the Cirrus Logic 54xx chips lasted that long, too.

Reply 22144 of 52739, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

My NOS Gainward GeForce3 64MB CardExpert finally showed up. Paid $25 shipped for it.

Beautiful card. I love the all red design. Supposedly it was built with higher than spec memory so maybe I can get it up into the Ti500 clock speed range.

It'll be going into the S478 1.7GHz Willamette machine. It should make a nice year 2001 machine until I find a cooler for the Socket 423 board I was given or get the Socket 423 Sony Vaio working. Not sure what's wrong with it. I can't remove the power supply to get to half the internal components which really doesn't help. I was able to test it with a different PSU because the 4 pin and 20 pin connectors were accessible but it still didn't start. Does anybody know if Sony used proprietary power supplies during 2001?

Does the card have DVI, S-Video/composite (if applicable), and VGA? Can we please see pics of the card? I'm planning on getting one for my Socket 370 build, but, I'm gonna upgrade to the Socket 754 board that I have for better support and fast speeds for Windows 98SE.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22145 of 52739, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

oh, they care. quite a bit. but going after individuals is not worth the time, effort, bad pr, and most Importantly, MONEY to enforce licences.

Do you think MS would even bother going after some random business that was running 1,000 UELA breaking copies of Windows 98SE or Windows 2000?
Completely hypothetical because any business that even tried such a thing would be insane as nothing recent business-wise would work with those OSes anymore.

When MS starts selling NEW licenses for their OSes that have not been supported for years, let me know. Until then, it doesn't matter one bit.

Windows 95 has had NO support since 2001
Windows ME has had NO support since 2003 (funny how they ended support before support for '98).
Windows 98 has had NO support since 2004.
Windows 98SE has had NO support since 2006.
Windows 2000 has had NO support since 2010.
Windows XP has had NO support since 2014.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22146 of 52739, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I had my druthers I'd ensure Windows 95 would be supported for the next century.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 22148 of 52739, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you think MS would even bother going after some random business that was running 1,000 UELA breaking copies of Windows 98SE or Windows 2000?

MS? No. Government? Easy.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 22149 of 52739, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

That's unused OEM. There's quite a lot them hanging around here and there, but technically you'll violate terms of use if you install it.

Perhaps in the US. Yet it was tried in court in Denmark, back in the first half of the 00's. Turned out, that they can not prevent you from selling or using OEM editions. As long as the license code is genuine, you are in your right to use it on one machine only.

cyclone3d wrote:
Do you think MS would even bother going after some random business that was running 1,000 UELA breaking copies of Windows 98SE o […]
Show full quote
luckybob wrote:

oh, they care. quite a bit. but going after individuals is not worth the time, effort, bad pr, and most Importantly, MONEY to enforce licences.

Completely hypothetical because any business that even tried such a thing would be insane as nothing recent business-wise would work with those OSes anymore.

When MS starts selling NEW licenses for their OSes that have not been supported for years, let me know. Until then, it doesn't matter one bit.

Windows 95 has had NO support since 2001
Windows ME has had NO support since 2003 (funny how they ended support before support for '98).
Windows 98 has had NO support since 2004.
Windows 98SE has had NO support since 2006.
Windows 2000 has had NO support since 2010.
Windows XP has had NO support since 2014.

Well... Here in Denmark, the software makers have a kind of organisation. That are touring the country from time to time, visiting companies and publich institutions. The only thing they are looking for, is pirated installations of both operating systems and programs.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 22150 of 52739, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/microsof … recovery-disks/

So, to get sued, you need to sell 28,000 disks for it to be worth the time and effort.

Looking at my bittorrent I've super-seeded over 500 copies of XP, about as many 98se, and 2000, and 8 total dos collections (R13 is ~50gb)

I'd be surprised if I wasn't on their radar.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22151 of 52739, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

That's unused OEM. There's quite a lot them hanging around here and there, but technically you'll violate terms of use if you install it.

Perhaps in the US. Yet it was tried in court in Denmark, back in the first half of the 00's. Turned out, that they can not prevent you from selling or using OEM editions. As long as the license code is genuine, you are in your right to use it on one machine only.

The old OFFICIAL stance for OEM copies in the US was this:
For a shop to sell you an OEM copy, you must also purchase a piece of hardware. When I worked at a computer shop, we would sell OEM copies with Motherboard, CPU, or Hard Drive. Pretty sure that was the only rule back around 2000.

What you did with the OEM copy after that was your business.

And nowadays, you can just buy the OEM licenses willy-nilly without ANY indication from most retailers about ANY limitations for the OEM licenses... and they don't require you to buy anything else at all.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/is-it-ok-to-use- … -ask-microsoft/

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22152 of 52739, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

2 nice great things i got today

a FIC 486-GVT-2, the quality of the board is awesome and looks brand new
a FIC PA-2013, super socket7

I think the FIC does not work with an AMD-X5-133mhz, i have to look at the documentation.

z11.jpg
z22.jpg

Reply 22153 of 52739, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Does the card have DVI, S-Video/composite (if applicable), and VGA? Can we please see pics of the card? I'm planning on getting one for my Socket 370 build, but, I'm gonna upgrade to the Socket 754 board that I have for better support and fast speeds for Windows 98SE.

What's with the DVI cult all of a sudden? If your not using a CRT your doing it wrong anyways.

Cards with DVI aren't hard to find:

My Gateway TNT2 Pro has only a DVI port (/w Analog)
My Dell GeForce2 Ultra has both DVI and VGA
My ASUS GeForce2 MX 16MB has DVI and VGA
My Gainward GeForce3 64MB has DVI, VGA, and TV Out.

I also gave a Matrox Mystique with DVIs predecessor.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 22154 of 52739, by Loony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
What's with the DVI cult all of a sudden? If your not using a CRT your doing it wrong anyways. […]
Show full quote

What's with the DVI cult all of a sudden? If your not using a CRT your doing it wrong anyways.

Cards with DVI aren't hard to find:

My Gateway TNT2 Pro has only a DVI port (/w Analog)
My Dell GeForce2 Ultra has both DVI and VGA
My ASUS GeForce2 MX 16MB has DVI and VGA
My Gainward GeForce3 64MB has DVI, VGA, and TV Out.

I also gave a Matrox Mystique with DVIs predecessor.

My crt is dvi only.

Reply 22156 of 52739, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Woolie Wool wrote:

Roland Sound Canvas SC-88. I can't decide whether I like it or my SC-55 better.

Stack 'em and don't think about it! 😁

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 22159 of 52739, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the FIC does not work with an AMD-X5-133mhz

There's no voltage regulator on this board for 3v CPU.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.