Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 25100 of 52615, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Slightly more than a DB50XG/DB60XG in a box, because with certain editors you can do more with it than with some of the other MU-units as certain parameters can be modified more extensively than on later MU-units.

That's excellent, I wasn't aware of that, I'll have to look into it although I wonder if it's a bit wasted on me in that case?

dionb wrote:

Case in point: my idiot Packard Bell system, with MS-6168 (yep, you triggered me 😉 ), active fan on the Voodoo replaced by a big-ish passive heatsink, CPU fan replaced by a Zalman CNPS6000, Zalman's original small 80mm fan replaced by a 120mm Noctua, and the 80mm in the PSU also replaced by a quiet Noctua 80mm. Oh, and an SSD instead of a HDD. So now it's almost silent - except for some coil whine I couldn't hear before 🙁

Nice find. That looks like the rev.1.0 with i440ZX chipset. The power regulation circuitry is different to the rev.2.0, which is bad news if you want to run a Coppermine (at least in theory), but good news that they didn't use the suicidal caps on the rev.2.0. Your pic isn't good enough to be completely sure, but it looks a lot better than my two rev.2.0 boards did when I got them.

Interested to hear if you could get a Coppermine running on this baby.

Yep it's a v1.0 from the pictures I've seen so far - somehow i keep ending up with the 440ZX chipset instead of the BX 😀 That's useful to know that it might not be so good even with the coppermine - I've wanted to have a play with this board since I spotted it for sale (and missed it) for £10 back in around 2002 so even if I can't do much with it, it should be fun. I've been a little jealous of all the ones you've found, but thankfully persistence keeps paying off 😁

Reply 25101 of 52615, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Slightly more than a DB50XG/DB60XG in a box, because with certain editors you can do more with it than with some of the other MU-units as certain parameters can be modified more extensively than on later MU-units.

That's excellent, I wasn't aware of that, I'll have to look into it although I wonder if it's a bit wasted on me in that case?

It's basically a halved, headless Yamaha QS-300 synth without the sequencer and other fancy bits. If you ever wanted to get into music creation, this is a nice (cheap and overlooked) module to start with.

And it will do GM/XG, of course. 😀

Its CPU was later used in Yamaha's CS-1x synthesizer, AFAIK.

Reply 25103 of 52615, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Compaq sound card - 1994 ( ISA ) - ESS 688F with Yamaha YMF-262 OPL

I don't know if I should change the mounting bracket or leave it alone.
What computer do you think this came out of ?

I once salvaged such a sound card from some Compaq. The extra connector bit is very distinctive. Iirc I did search for info on that card and iirc again, it should work without those connectors attached to something? They were for the internal speaker or something, can't remember.

Regarding the bracket: I'd say, if it fits, keep it on the original card 😀

jesolo wrote:
Srandista wrote:
kixs wrote:

It's a very nice card! You didn't pay too much for it but shipping from NL is always too expensive...

Stalker! Yeah, what you can do. It's always strange, when you pay more for a shipping then for a product itself...

Reminds me when I bought an item back in 2005.
Paid $10 for the item and $40 for shipping.

🤣
I at one time bought like 8 of the backpack external floppy drives. The drives themselves were $1 each or something. Shipping was more like €70(??) or so...darn 🤣!
The seller had a large stock of these and these were brand new. To keep shipping costs down I had them send without the boxes though. Very neat things, I have no regrets 😎

cyclone3d wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:
Artex wrote:

@Intel486dx33
Cool stuff, but maybe try to consolidate into a single post? 😀

I don't recieve everything at once.
I will try to limit my post to once a day in this topic.

Each post will only allow 5 pics if you upload them to the forum. Sometimes it can't be helped.

You can however use paint to put several pics together so the total number of pics becomes 5 or less 😜

edit: I meant the program Paint and not the wetty stuff that you put onto solid dry surfaces 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 25104 of 52615, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gigabyte_GA-_BX2000_B_Damaged.jpg Intel_Pentium_III_600.jpg Creative_Audio_PCI_CT4810.jpg

The BX2000+ board has some swollen caps and a broken Bank 0 simm slot, but POSTs so I just listed it locally for sale for anyone who will bother to fix it. I already have one in stock (that I partially recapped) so I can't be bothered.

Got all of these for an amazing $1, and the shipping cost was $3 so I am not complaining.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25105 of 52615, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two Sound Blaster AWE64's

Attachments

• IMG_0265.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0265.JPG
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_0267.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0267.JPG
    File size
    1.88 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 25106 of 52615, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Post from the USA today:
full.png

Aztech NX Pro, an old Soundblaster Pro 2.0 clone (with real OPL3) with a twist: it also supports Covox & Disney Sound Source. If this thing works and I'm happy with it, it's going into my ultimate soundcard build, alongside an SB32 (for SB16 support) and a GUS - and maybe a MusicQuest if I can get it all to play together nicely and I have enough ISA slots.

Also made a pic of yesterday's free IBM PC330-P75 pickup. Apart from a dead CMOS battery (relieved to see it's a CR2032) it works perfectly. PIctured with my Lexmark-made 1994 vintage Model M, which is not exactly period correct, but doesn't look too out-of-place.

full.png

Reply 25107 of 52615, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an exact card like that as well. I repaired it a few times, but, it still works. Having the Covox Speech Thing and Disney Sound Source with a genuine OPL3 chip is the icing on the cake.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 25108 of 52615, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:

I have an exact card like that as well. I repaired it a few times, but, it still works. Having the Covox Speech Thing and Disney Sound Source with a genuine OPL3 chip is the icing on the cake.

What did you need to fix on it?

I read that it tends to sound pretty noisy as it lacks shielding, so it should be put in the last ISA slot or have a metal plate mounted in front of the solder side. You do any of that stuff while you were at it?

Reply 25109 of 52615, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

What did you need to fix on it?

I read that it tends to sound pretty noisy as it lacks shielding, so it should be put in the last ISA slot or have a metal plate mounted in front of the solder side. You do any of that stuff while you were at it?

Yes. I had to fix the traces for the volume pot to the caps, the mic in and line in jacks since the traces got destroyed by me. Luckily, I had some wiring, solder, flux, and knew where the traces lead to.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 25110 of 52615, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i could buy a new antec p180 for 85 eur for my 2006 rig... is it worth the price? from retro aspect, it is too much, but i dont think, i will have any chance in the future to buy a new one.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 25112 of 52615, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
:D after many years I got a SW-60XG again […]
Show full quote

😁 after many years I got a SW-60XG again

T98K17gl.jpg

I've got that thing and the manual but no CD, what's in there ? any interesting soft to control the synth sounds, like editing or something ?

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 25113 of 52615, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vmunix wrote:
keropi wrote:
:D after many years I got a SW-60XG again […]
Show full quote

😁 after many years I got a SW-60XG again

T98K17gl.jpg

I've got that thing and the manual but no CD, what's in there ? any interesting soft to control the synth sounds, like editing or something ?

Oh yeah, we want an image of that CD!

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25115 of 52615, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thrift Store haul!

vAXOjvGm.jpg

L->R

Samsung CLP-325W Color laser printer - works! Was $15! Only 2654 pages printed!
Zany effects! - plug into your landline to insert sound effects! $1
Western digital 1TB nas (feels like drives are inside) $17
Neon Floppy disks! $2
Creative SBS10 speakers! $2
Spaceballs! The video Cassette! $0.50
Sub command! - $2.50
Some NIB PRO Movie Spectrum thing - $2.50
Pair of Advent Speakers. $18/pair

Gonna play with the 1tb nas right now to see if she works.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 25116 of 52615, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
Thrift Store haul! […]
Show full quote

Thrift Store haul!

vAXOjvGm.jpg

L->R

Samsung CLP-325W Color laser printer - works! Was $15! Only 2654 pages printed!
Zany effects! - plug into your landline to insert sound effects! $1
Western digital 1TB nas (feels like drives are inside) $17
Neon Floppy disks! $2
Creative SBS10 speakers! $2
Spaceballs! The video Cassette! $0.50
Sub command! - $2.50
Some NIB PRO Movie Spectrum thing - $2.50
Pair of Advent Speakers. $18/pair

Gonna play with the 1tb nas right now to see if she works.

Obviously the gem in that crowd is SPACEBALLS!!!

...and the sealed capture card which was $400 when it was new in 1992.

Reply 25117 of 52615, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vmunix wrote:

Manual

Hi, this image doesn't display.

See here for my procedure for posting from Google Photos:
Re: Televideo Telewave Audio 32 sound card, questions about its onboard wavetable ROM

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 25119 of 52615, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

fyi, i see it okay.

Your image is fine. vmunix's is not (Firefox 56/Firefox 63/Chrome 69). But I assume you actually DID mean vmunix.

I bet if you cleared your cache and refreshed the page you wouldn't see it anymore, luckybob?

Still, I can pretty much guarantee if he follows my procedures that both you AND I would be able to see it, along with everyone else.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto